armchairs, like myself, gather 'round

• When the song dropped, I purposely didn't look for any reaction on the internet cuz I know how people become when is BTS. It happened with Dynamite, with BWL with Idol with DNA and it can really ruin the whole experience.

That being said, I liked PTD, is not their best song but is catchy and easy to listen to. The thing that is bothering me now, is people invalidating the feelings of those who liked the song. I've even seen some ARMYS convinced that BTS lied when they said they liked it. Because how can they!

Let people like whatever they want.

af4cbcaad4a1abe0246bf37caba00bd9e29ecd6c.gifv0411037240460fde49b7fc965e5c2fc8ab693bdb.gifv

• I expected people not to like the song especially since it was different. I was a spring day army and I remember the mixed reaction that got and then the same happened with not today and then DNA. I'm used to it. It's only annoying to me when people try to make BTS and everyone else miserable for liking the songs they don't like. It's just music at the end of the day.

• Good thread, OP!!

I think some ARMY was disappointed because they want BTS to blow up in the west with BTS-like song, not poppy English song. Made by poppy English composers. BUT. These songs really are the Trojan horse of BTS, as proven by their numbers (ARMY kept growing!!).

For me personally, I enjoy PTD. I love the thoughtful dance and the genuine happy vibe Bangtan gave me. PTD is the song of hope and the small joys of life for me.

About non BTS fans’ long ass essay about how much they hate PTD, well that normal. Bangtan has that effect on people. Making them write and express for they feel in detailed description. It’s fascinating and amusing.

• I have been an army for quite some time to expect these kinds of reactions, especially now that they have really blown up. I even expected it from this forum lol (like clockwork). All the discussion about vocal processing, english music (tho people have no problem with the japan releases), their "old sound" etc. I purposely went on here later to check on the (expected discussions) ..to all this, as what OP said, it is okay to like or dislike their releases if you say it with respect. the bashing and thinkpieces that i've seen are quite too much though- and interesting enough, alot from kpoppies and also multis.

for me though, i love the boys and their music and the direction that they are taking. though i don't love all their songs equally, i trust them and so far have not been disappointed. for the armys and others who enjoy this release, enjoy it to the fullest and let go of the negativity. as the song says, you don't need permission to dance! i'm just happy to add a new, fun, sweet,, bop to my bts playlists :borahae:

• Nice thread, OP. At least here I see more people who likes PTD. This PTD comeback is so messy bec of unnecessary hate towards BTS and very aggressively negative reactions to the song. While i understand that people may have different tastes, it's not cool to shove opinions to others and present it as the only valid one. It kinda ruins the experience esp to those who likes PTD. It sucks.

Anyway, whether you like it or not. Stream.

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• thanks for this. heartwarming read. :borahae:

we all admit it's not the best song from bts. but, i love the song and it gives me positive energy, which what i need during this time.

normal people will say "I don't like this song" and "It's not my type".

Only in Allkpop where you see essays from creative writers. ^^

• I take the song for what it is, I like PTD, its fun, hopeful & carefree! If someone don't like it, its also okay! Pretty normal tbh! We all have different taste and preferences anyway.

But I'm side-eyeing those who take this opportunity to bash & mock them as if it is the worst song to grace on earth! :fingerk:

• Good thread.

People are allowed to dislike a song but what I hate about this forum is when it comes to other groups, it's always yg's, sm's or jyg's fault whenever they dislike a song but it is always bts' fault when it is about bts' songs. Hating/bashing bts and members is so normalised here.

Personally, I think ptd is a pretty good b-side. It's a feel good song and fits very well with butter. It also very thoughful and inclusive.

• My sentiments are exactly same as yours. I didn't like it, I made some jokes about it lol and been following how it's being received by others since then while listening to it once in a while thinking it might grow on me. It's simple.

Also I don't have problem with people giving negative opinions or even sort of bashing PTD. But you know what I havr noticed, so many who are bashing PTD and BTS and their music direction didn't even give any opinion when Butter was released. Why? Because it was very well received by other users on akp. Alot of the kids who are bashing PTD are opportunistic and didn't get that during release of Butter. Now they got it with PTD since many didn't like it and hence they are using this to bash BTS and their recent music most of which has been appreciated. So many people liked Dynamite. Many felt BE was sort of throwback to old BTS. Butter is probably their most appreciated comeback since Fake Love.

Like I said I don't have problem with people giving negative opinions on PTD but do not even talk about BTS or their music. Because you clearly don't know anything about that.

• I take the song for what it is, I like PTD, its fun, hopeful & carefree! If someone don't like it, its also okay! Pretty normal tbh! We all have different taste and preferences anyway.

But I'm side-eyeing those who take this opportunity to bash & mock them as if it is the worst song to grace on earth! :fingerk:

this remind me a tweet I saw yesterday about how is ok no to like a song, and then they proceed to say even BTS don't like paradise. It made me laugh...

I know is not true, I don't know what's BTS problem with paradise.

af4cbcaad4a1abe0246bf37caba00bd9e29ecd6c.gifv0411037240460fde49b7fc965e5c2fc8ab693bdb.gifv

• It's totally fine to not like a song, I don't like all their songs, then again, I just don't listen to them, no need to bash and be rude. I mean, at least show some respect for the members, they put so much work in for us, be decent enough not to bash them and go on "this is the last straw" type rants, it's really disrespectfull. If you don't vibe with them anymore, go find someone else, it's okay, what is not okay is to be so self entitled and self-centred, this is their choice and their career, not yours, no one owes you anything. This rant is for the bashers, not you OP, you're cute, keep going 💜

This one here.

I mean, the way some ARMYs were ranting, it was like the boys intentionally released the song to offend them. Like, what?!! You don’t like it, fine!! But it is BTSs choice to release what they want to release.

I personally like it because it is an upbeat and happy song. Had I not liked it, I would have been, like, “Oh! Maybe I will like the next one.” No need to go ranting and raving like BTS insulted me or something. Geez!!!

• This makes it sound like they're a different breed of person who just exclusively listens to kpop and nothing else. Kpop fans are no different from any other fans. It's not a trait, it's just an interest.

It's also doesn't mean you necessarily have a "worse" or less developed taste than others, I mean, who actually exclusively listens to idol music all their life?

Korean idol pop, one part of one small country's music scene?

They will like metal, rock, folk, western pop, hip hop, other non idol korean acts, other foreign language music etc. alongside kpop. This goes for armys, moas, blinks, every fandom.

Kpop is niche but it's still pop. It's not like it's experimental jazz fusion, it's understandable why people are drawn to it.

I would actually say kpop fans are pretty open. There are people out there who are pretty snobby or don't have an interest in music and actually do only listen to one genre.

Almost universally bashing ballads and OSTs? Most are uninterested, some like them, very few actually bash them and that's nearly always because they're blocking their favs. We also can't conflate what music is "actually" popular there (or anywhere) as being the best of the best and what people "should" like. Even critics don't always have a consensus on artists' quality and I think that especially applies to kpop.

• I kept seeing comments and threads about writing essays. It makes perfect sense for fans to be detailed in their thoughts about songs and the career of an artist they anticipate and support. The same people who express their disappointment/frustration in them are also people who praise them in detail when they are satisfied, both are valid when written in the right way.

Phrases such as "I don't like it" and "It's not for me", a single sentence statement, these should not be the only ways to express a negative opinion of a bts song or any song on the forum, I would hope people agree with that. Further analysis or opinions are fine and normal and shouldn't be discouraged.

The people who say things like they think BTS should disband over this, they're just too invested and should not be dignified with a response. If your problem is really with armys and not with BTS, then be honest, and don't take it out on BTS (I've seen this happen with other groups and it's just sad).

How many people wrote these essays?

I know I did one but I was not hateful.

I saw so many criticisms/bashes said about MITM/Itzy this year on forums and sites (a teddy rip off, bad rapping, juvneile lyrics, noisy/trash, weak chorus, they've declined musically, some jyp producer bashing) but nothing escalated between those who liked it and those who didn't. Wish this happened with BTS (lack of escalation) but it never does.

It is at the extremes every time, which is poetic in a way X/

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!