armchairs, like myself, gather 'round

• Official Post

Brace yourselves because I'm about to be like this :

E2Fwq-4VEAEpnMy.jpg

first of all

I was asleep this comeback

Call me a clown

I had 2 hours to stay awake and join the premiere

but my clown self said "let me just close my eyes for a sec, it wont even be long" :pepe-clown-gear:

I regret

:pepe-life-support:

BUT

the reactions that I've heard about the song

:pepeshock:

makes me think that I was really lucky to be away from all of that

There seemed to be only extreme reactions

It is completely okay to not like the song

There are things I loved about it. I think it is an earworm, I loved the chorus.

The vocal runs took me to church, hallelujah ;(

and there are things I did not like about it

Overall, the song wasn't up my alley and that's okay.

BTS have hundreds of songs that I love and a handful I don't vibe with

and that's already crazy to me because they never stick to one thing

I respect that.

They have a very diverse discography

It is both easy to find something you love and something that you might not like and that's fine.

It is also completely okay to genuinely love the song

I may side eye y'all a little bit but that's only because our tastes don't align for this particular track ;(

We have different tastes in music so it is possible to have disagreements on our likes and dislikes

BTS said it was better than butter for example and I'll have to disagree

at least you PTD lovers have BTS on your side ;(

the point is, genuinely loving the song is fine too

what's crazy is how people act

instead of a simple "I don't really like this one"

some people go on to attack BTS

and instead of a simple "I don't agree, in fact I love the song"

some go on to attack the ones who didn't

If you guys were in either one of the extremes it is time to take a step back.

Temporarily of course

Go do something that doesn't stress you out so much

Cause it aint worth the headache :pepemusic:

And the armchairs that were in the middle of the two extremes,

please do tell us your secrets for keeping yourself composed.

:pepelove2:

The end.

This was my comeback thread for today.

it was bittersweet

:pepe-sad:

Last time I felt like this was with IDOL and DNA both

these songs caused a lot of discord too

People were even afraid that BTS debuted in the US with the WRONG song

Fearmongering that it would turn non-fans away from BTS

but it didn't, did it?

:pepe-toast:

• They have so many genres of songs !! If one person doesn't like their new release , There are 200 + songs to look for from their discography . BTS has songs for all :borahae:

I Loved PTD as it was fun loving , had positive message , good dance moves song . They included so many people , showed how it would be once this covid sh*t is over , Had sign languages in the song . Overall BTS seemed like they enjoyed making the song . The important thing abt someone doing their job is when they feel happy doing it .

Frankly the only song i skip on my BTS playlist is ON ft sia !!! That was :thumbdown:

• I remember the DNA era. It was pretty similar to today actually. People based them a lot, called them sellouts, whole kpop fandom accused them of chasing western validation with the horrible, horrible EDM and "westernized" song.

I actually disliked DNA (while streaming the hell out of it), still do.

Its funny how things turn out. Its a national hit, one of the biggest global hits of kpop, changed the course of kpop history and is still getting global certifications even today. And now it has been rehabilititated and is considered part of "old, good BTS".

So, in the end what kpop fans say about a song has very little to do with its success, legacy or how its viewed in the future.

My totally non-scientific study of armies GP relatives shows 100% success rate of PTD when presented to non-kpop fans.

• Official Post

They have so many genres of songs !! If one person doesn't like their new release , There are 200 + songs to look for from their discography . BTS has songs for all :borahae:

I Loved PTD as it was fun loving , had positive message , good dance moves song . They included so many people , showed how it would be once this covid sh*t is over , Had sign languages in the song . Overall BTS seemed like they enjoyed making the song . The important thing abt someone doing their job is when they feel happy doing it .

Frankly the only song i skip on my BTS playlist is ON ft sia !!! That was :thumbdown:

the PTD video

I didnt talk about it but I loved it !

the boys always try to be inclusive and I love that

I was so proud of them for using sign language in their choreo !

It definitely made me happy !

• It's totally fine to not like a song, I don't like all their songs, then again, I just don't listen to them, no need to bash and be rude. I mean, at least show some respect for the members, they put so much work in for us, be decent enough not to bash them and go on "this is the last straw" type rants, it's really disrespectfull. If you don't vibe with them anymore, go find someone else, it's okay, what is not okay is to be so self entitled and self-centred, this is their choice and their career, not yours, no one owes you anything. This rant is for the bashers, not you OP, you're cute, keep going 💜

• DNA is what made me an ARMY. I was skeptical gp and it sucked me in because it's so catchy. IDOL helped to suck in my mother, who was a hater up to that point. I genuinely love PTD and it will probably be a muggle magnet like Dynamite, Butter, and DNA and suck in more new ARMY. The song feels like a 70s Elton John song so it will probably get some older fans or people who like this mid to late 70s sound.

• "what's crazy is how people act

instead of a simple "I don't really like this one"

some people go on to attack BTS"

I agree. I saw people try to explain THIS is the reason why armys got defensive but no, the ones who go on to attack BTS gets to hide under the same umbrella as the ones who simply was like "nah its not my vibe." That's two different category of ppl to me. But that's because ppl are gaslighting and shading the armys that calling out the users who were going IN on BTS and protecting them like "iTs ThEir OpINion" When we all know they would never stand for the slightest dust of shade blowing in their faves direction. As they shouldn't. But only they are allowed to be defensive about it I guess.

Anyway Bangtan will rise. Adding sign language is so wholesome, was a nice touch:pepelove2:

• The problem is that some people don't get the concept that music is subjetive. I don't like DNA, you don't like it either. But more other million koreans liked it enough to make it Gaon certified, just like other million people around the world liked it too.

It doesn't make the song objectively "good" or "bad", just like me and you not appreciating it doesn't do either.

I just think there are individuals that give themselves and their opinion too much importance

• I’ve only just become an Army but I seem to like BTS more with every song and now I can add PTD to the list. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would stan them, and tbh I should’ve years ago instead of wasting my time on groups that have lost their lustre now.

• This is the first comeback since i became a fan where i wasn't online when the song dropped (i just became a puppy owner so i'm busy hehe), so i couldn't see any reactions in real time. I didn't even start looking at what others thought well into my 20th or so listen of the song, and i'm glad i didn't.

I really loved the song, i thought it was sweet and catchy, so the incredibly negative reaction from a lot of corners of the kpop and ARMY sphere really took me by surprise. People were very agressive with their thoughts in my honest opinion, and some of it was a bit disturbing to see. It reminded me a lot of when DNA, IDOL or Boy with Luv dropped, as those songs evoked these exact same extreme reactions in people at the time.

hello

• The problem is that some people don't get the concept that music is subjetive. I don't like DNA, you don't like it either. But more other million koreans liked it enough to make it Gaon certified, just like other million people around the world liked it too.

It doesn't make the song objectively "good" or "bad", just like me and you not appreciating it doesn't do either.

I just think there are individuals that give themselves and their opinion too much importance

Yes, there is no objectively good or bad music, especially judged by fans with very little exposure to different varieties of music and no musical education/background. The closest is judgment by actual professional music critics with extensive and varied background in music.

What is also forgotten, is that you cant expect fans with certain niche taste to appreciate music that doesnt align with their priorities. The taste of most kpop fans differs a lot from both the taste of most people in the world and also the taste of critics. So noone should really pay all that much attention to them, since their reaction doesnt say anything about how the world outside of kpop stans reacts.

Just look at all the kpop stans almost universally bashing ballads and OSTs, the actual popular music in Korea.

But thats about kpop stans. In "armys" case I would expect some amount of respect for BTS at least, and not outright bashing. Noone likes all their songs. Even if you havent liked the direction an artist is going in creatively and have drifted apart, its possible to have a friendly break up at least.

• Official Post

I’ve only just become an Army but I seem to like BTS more with every song and now I can add PTD to the list. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would stan them, and tbh I should’ve years ago instead of wasting my time on groups that have lost their lustre now.

I'm always happy to see newer fans

I've compared BTS to a book before and to an onion at one point ^^

I feel like they have a lot to offer as a group and at first glance it doesn't really seem that way

so we tend to just pass them by at first

it is only when you dive into them do you discover their layers and you understand why they've this ability to make people passionate about them

so I understand you

I have that same regret of not getting into them earlier than I had

and they are also the only ones to have retained my interest over the past couple years

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!