Stan vs Fan

• Another poster recently told me that a person who doesn't buy product and vote isn't a stan, just a fan. Some people think you need to be devoted to the point of streaming and watching all the content and knowing everything about your group to be a stan. What do you think? Can you be a stan without doing those things? Are you still part of the fandom?

• I neither spend money not have an emotional attachment nor do I defend nor attack any such groups...

I like their content and their music and that's it ...

hence I'll just classify myself as a fan...

oh and this...

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I used to be a stan early on when I got into K pop to the point of obsession, but nowadays I only take a passing interest in it which just makes me a fan. I have never bought any merch, but was still passionate about my bias groups. My definition of stan was being fanatical and a fan just admiring a group and their music.

• If it's a part of your lifestyle, you're a stan. If you just like the music and wouldn't necessarily call it part of your identity, you're a fan. That's my perspective.

Also... selfmate You beat me to it! I saw you posted in here and immediately thought of "Stan" by Eminem. He started this whole thing and "stan" actually used to have a negative connotation to it, meaning "unhealthily obsessed fan." Interesting how it's just a casual and neutral term now.

I feel like I've encountered a surprising amount of "unhealthily obsessed fans" in kpop

• If it's a part of your lifestyle, you're a stan. If you just like the music and wouldn't necessarily call it part of your identity, you're a fan. That's my perspective.

Also... selfmate You beat me to it! I saw you posted in here and immediately thought of "Stan" by Eminem. He started this whole thing and "stan" actually used to have a negative connotation to it, meaning "unhealthily obsessed fan." Interesting how it's just a casual and neutral term now.

exactly one should watch stan's MV and listen to the lyrics and then come to the conclusion if you are a stan lol

(in which case hopefully no one will!!!!!)

• i would think a fan is someone who follows up on music and know basic names, company and stuff, while a stan is someone who's more invested in the artist

• I consider myself a stan when I have a parasocial attachment that makes me go beyond their music and consume their non-musical content.

If it's about voting and streaming then I believe I've already been kicked out from all my fandoms.

In the end, only you can say if you are or not a stan.

• i would think a fan is someone who follows up on music and know basic names, company and stuff, while a stan is someone who's more invested in the artist

I consider myself a stan when I have a parasocial attachment that makes me go beyond their music and consume their non-musical content.

If it's about voting and streaming then I believe I've already been kicked out from all my fandoms.

In the end, only you can say if you are or not a stan.

Yeah this is always how I saw it as!

Like I'm a TWICE stan for sure as I've bought their albums and even traveled to Chicago and paid to see them in concert. I'm also a stan for T-ara even though I've only bought 1 album but I can say I know more information about T-ara than TWICE.

As for fan it's any musical artist that I enjoy listening to beyond just 1 or 2 songs and I follow their releases which would be EXO, BTS, and SHINee for me.

~ ω

• I am a stan and a fan. So for me:

I stan BTS - know most of their discography, spend time and money on them, knows unhealthy amount of BTS trivia, recognise individual shadows or any other body parts (well 75% of the time) lol

I am also a fan of few other kpop acts - know selected discography, help stream or give engagements to their releases, don’t spend money on them, still have problem telling some of them apart sometimes (it’s more for the music not for the group).

So that’s my definition of stan vs fan

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!