Chopsticks vs Fork

• I’m not implying anything. I said I like to eat civilised using a knife and fork, not be a savage and eat with my fingers.

LOL. I get it.

But be careful about the wording and how you convey your thoughts. You could easily offend someone, particularly people from a country where they use their fingers to eat.

✧ "Got no time for haters 모두 다 집어치워 버려" ✧

• LOL. I get it.

But be careful about the wording and how you convey your thoughts. You could easily offend someone, particularly people from a country where they use their fingers to eat.

I was only saying that I was raised to eat civilised using eating utensils to eat with. I live in a country that uses knives and forks. I don’t believe in finger food and I don’t think saying I don’t want to eat like a savage is going to offend anyone. I doubt whether we have any primitive folk on here. Don’t take it the wrong way okay?

• I'm East Asian, but I prefer spoon+fork+knife combo. My chopstick handling is embarrassingly poor :pepe-sad:

I was only saying that I was raised to eat civilised using eating utensils to eat with. I live in a country that uses knives and forks. I don’t believe in finger food and I don’t think saying I don’t want to eat like a savage is going to offend anyone. I doubt whether we have any primitive folk on here. Don’t take it the wrong way okay?

I get what you are trying to say, but it was a very poor choice of words. I think it is pretty common for some Arab and Indian folks to eat with just hands and I can't call them uncivilized (at least not in a sense they are barbarians or primitive, they are major civilizations after all) because of lack of utensil usage. Some societies we have considered savages or primitive in the past did use utensils as well like pre-contact American tribes. Even in countries that use knife and fork, there are lot of food that people will use just hands to eat. At least the majority will eat chips with their hands gladly.

Maybe you should have just said it's because you think it is unhygienic. I think no one would have any objection with that.

In this case, I don't even like to touch any food with hands directly. Not even hamburger or pizza. I'd use a napkin to hold them if available. I don't even eat chips without directly touching them as well.

• No, I don’t see how anyone would be offended by saying that. Like I said, we don’t have any one here living in a primitive tribe on some island do we? At least I hope not. I’m taking the saying from my late father who used to say that word to me when I was a child if I ate my food with my fingers. I don’t see there’s any apology needed, I was just using an anecdote from my father that is all.

• Are you American?

Because the average Americans eat pizzas, hotdogs, burgers, chips, and fries with their bare hands.

In addition, I would be surprised if they didn't even wash their hands before eating, even after using the restroom.

:pepe-hehe:

• No, I don’t see how anyone would be offended by saying that. Like I said, we don’t have any one here living in a primitive tribe on some island do we? At least I hope not. I’m taking the saying from my late father who used to say that word to me when I was a child if I ate my food with my fingers. I don’t see there’s any apology needed, I was just using an anecdote from my father that is all.

I'm not asking for apology or anything. At least I don't think I even implied that. I just said it's a poor word choice to express your idea and the reasons why. I'm just pointing out using utensils or not should not be linked with being uncivilized or not. "Primitive" societies used utensils as well. Attributing not using utensils to being primitive can be taken very wrongly as eating with their hands is very normal to a lot of civilized people.

At very least you didn't start your conversation with an anecdote. You just posted "I like to be civilised. I don’t even know how to use chopsticks." At very least, you may have accidentally implied not using your favored utensils as uncivilized with your starting remark. That's what I'm pointing out.

I live in the West Coast. Yeah, most will just use their bare hands in a lot of situations. To me it's kinda unhygienic to eat any of these after handling money or cc. One of my friends called me a weirdo of me for wrapping my burger with a napkin and another one to eat the fries (I waste less napkin this way as well).

Once we were eating in a cafe and some other customers were eating pancakes with hands and the same asshole friend made fun of them and I said " you mofo eat tacos, burger, wings, sandwich, chips, and so on with hands". It seems like being selective about what one can eat or not with hands.

At least I'm consistent. I touch no food with my bare hands :pepe-toast:

• You should take disposable gloves with you where ever you go just like Dongeun from Boss in the Mirror.

• I think what Elf has missed to stress on is to add " for me " at the end of whether using chopsticks or hands to eat is " bit of" uncivilized or unhygienic. both words are negative at different levels can be interpreted other ways.

I really dont hope to see people call each other out on being insensitive at times when they did not mean it, getting tough lately over this.

• Look, nobody asked you to chime in anyway as I wasn’t talking to you. I wasn’t being offensive, now DROP it. Will ya!

• I think what Elf has missed to stress on is to add " for me " at the end of whether using chopsticks or hands to eat is " bit of" uncivilized or unhygienic. both words are negative at different levels can be interpreted other ways.

I really dont hope to see people call each other out on being insensitive at times when they did not mean it, getting tough lately over this.

Yeah. Also, eating habits and manners can be a rather sensitive topic.

Going on a tangent, I like to watch those YT videos of street food making. Comment section of Indian/Pakistani/Bangladesh street food videos is pure gold in this aspect.

• Look, nobody asked you to chime in anyway as I wasn’t talking to you. I wasn’t being offensive, now DROP it. Will ya!

It's a public forum where anyone can chime in (at least that's the point). No need to get stressed out. I'm not attacking you per se. On the same note, you could just choose to ignore me as well.

We get acorns anyway :pepe_akorns:

• Wow, somebody doesn't know what culture is?

I eat food the way it is supposed to be eaten.

Fork knife for western countries.

Hand for Middle East and African countries, and burgers, sandwiches...

Chopsticks for Asian cuisine.

Respect the culture of other countries.

You have to adapt to others not the opposite.

What a narrow way to think.

There is no civilized way of eating, it depends on the culture.

• I’m not implying anything. I said I like to eat civilised using a knife and fork, not be a savage and eat with my fingers.

Tell me you’re a racist without telling me your a racist.

And if you don’t think this is racist that’s even more problematic.

And usage of a crass dated word like savage? What is this colonial Europe? Oh master please teach these “savages” how to be civilized

Delete this nonsense. Man this site never fucking surprises me.

• lmao I remember once in middleschool I used chopsticks so much so when it came time to use a fork I was so ham handed I had to run to get a pair of chopsticks from my bag lmao (we were eating cake as part of a sorta party and I could not for the life of me get the cake up to my mouth wiht the fork lmaooo

• I was only saying that I was raised to eat civilised using eating utensils to eat with. I live in a country that uses knives and forks. I don’t believe in finger food and I don’t think saying I don’t want to eat like a savage is going to offend anyone. I doubt whether we have any primitive folk on here. Don’t take it the wrong way okay?

Come on. If you're saying your very specific style is civilized and others are "primitive," that's pretty offensive and a narrow world view. You could have just said you ate with a fork and knife and left it at that instead of shading other cultures. I eat with a fork and a knife or chopsticks or my fingers depending on where I am and what I'm eating.

I was raised to be civilized by not calling cultures different than mine not civilized or primitive.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Come on. If you're saying your very specific style is civilized and others are "primitive," that's pretty offensive and a narrow world view. You could have just said you ate with a fork and knife and left it at that instead of shading other cultures. I eat with a fork and a knife or chopsticks or my fingers depending on where I am and what I'm eating.

I was raised to be civilized by not calling cultures different than mine not civilized or primitive.

I wasn’t aware that I asked you to join in. I wasn’t talking to you either. I will say again, we have no primitive people here, I was not being offensive, it was a mere figure of speech. Get off your soap box sweetie and go annoy someone else. In most western cultures, we eat with a knife and fork. Got it?

• This thread contains 2 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!