KPOP community unites to protect Sunoo after some comments on him made by his members

• Official Post

So you might see that Sunoo is currently trending on Twitter rn.

E4HqbraXEAQC-UU?format=jpg&name=900x900

Here's some context in this thread:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

IMO I think we should take some of the comments they made lightly since we don't really know the relationship between the members. They could be joking or whatever but I don't think we'll ever know for sure. Some of these may be taken out of context too.

Some of these comments kinda rubbed me the wrong way though. ;(

• Some of the comments though...

But why does his weight have to be such a discussion in the first place....

Why does it have to be brought up often...

• Official Post

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Honestly this whole thing reminds me of people trying to jump on WayV when they call Kun a pig. I've seen international fans tell Chinese fans that they're wrong when they explain that calling someone a pig isn't an insult in Chinese culture.

Also to the people sending death threats to a 15 year old... who has literally shielded Sunoo from fans with his own body... I hope you have a spectacularly terrible day.

• some fans think they know their idols better than anyone else in the world. If sunoo himself had a problem with these he would've said that to them himself. We know he is an outspoken person. Why are the kpop fans always so sensitive??? :pepe-back-away:

• Idk I think some of the members should think more about what they say since they're public figures, especially NI-KI. A lot of stuff they think is funny, is not. I can't possibly imagine sunoo is happy about this, but even if he doesn't mind.. It's not worth it to ruin your reputation and of the group over that. And them being close, doesn't excuse calling someone fat. You can't only blame it on sunoo solo stans only, but hating on the members instead of educating them is also too much. Even other fandoms know about this. I'm worried for enhypen, especially because of what happened with april. Non-fans will think enhypen members really have bad chemistry and the solo stans don't make it any better. I hope belift gives him more lines so we can get rid of the mistreatment thing people like to call it. If anything it's gonna make the solo stans louder if they don't do that and Sunoo sings well enough for him to get more lines.

NewJeans é envolvido em nova polêmica com o MV de “OMG” | Revista KoreaIN

Edited 10 times, last by lialve ().

• Did someone made a thread?? I didn’t saw anything!

But anyways so Sunoo is trending since hours on twitter due to a thread. Apparently he was fatshamed multiples times by some of his group members???? I saw the thread and it was sad to watch...

https://twitter.com/sunwoognf/…/1405594884690436098?s=21

A lot of non fans are also defending Sunoo and are calling out Enhypen’s fanbase for not saying anything and doing threads like « members love sunoo a much needed thread »

So if real fans are there, are the videos taken out of context? Or can you confirm that it’s not just « teasing »?

• I’ve seen the videos btw, and the clips are quite damning. They were fat-shaming him and some clips, ni-ki was making fun of him so much for being emotional (like parodying his member comforting Sunoo)

There’s a post in the thread that got 2k+ RT and it’s a scene of his members being obtuse over what’s happening in June (it’s his birthday) and he looked pretty upset about it. It’s quite a lot and Idk how to take it in, tbh. But i’ll try to see how this develops.

• Fat Shaming is not ok. It's so sad to see the fans not taking this issue seriously, it doesn't matter that they are close or whatever, these kinda of "jokes" should not be aired on youtube or vlive or to the public. Think about others people feeling. The company should teach these idols and make them apologize, because everyone can see the sad reactions of the member when these jokes are being made. The fact that people are more concerd with the others members is so sad to watch... This could open a good disscussion in the Kpop industry, but it won't, unfortunaly

• This is ridicules. Non fans are always more worried for idols in controversy than their fans.

I don’t understand. Are you saying we shouldn’t be worried about the possible fatshaming he is facing, only bc we don’t Stan the group??

• It's not an issue. An account created in June with no followed accounts and followers started this drama, then deactivated. Now all other fandoms are trying to make others think that Enhypen members are bullies. They don't know why he's sad and assuming he gets bullied and taking things out of context is not the right way to go. Their jokes can hurt him but I don't think they do this with malicious intent, it's normalised in Korea and they probably don't understand how harmful it can be. I've seen many groups do this, do you think they're all bullies? Anyway, if Sunoo is offended the only way to fix this is for them to discuss this among each other, i-fans shitting on Enhypen on twitter won't do shit. Besides most of these comments are not even from Engenes.

Tell me if my voice isn’t real
    If I shouldn’t have thrown myself away

sFWYLKc.gif

• Hmm. We don't know the true nature of the group's relationship off camera but I felt bad when I watched the birthday clip.

Anyway, I just want to say Enhypen has a huge international fandom so I think they should just steer clear of fat shaming and weight jokes. International fans never vibe with that kind of humour even though it's normal in Korea.

• Im an engene since i-land and niki has always been close to sunoo :claps: idk whether sunoo feels hurt about the comments or not but out of all the members they are the closest to each other :danceb:

So it was mostly taken out of context?

People are sending death threats to a 15 year old. Stan twitter can get off their high horse.

Yeah it’s a big no no. They clearly need to be educated, they are still young and can make mistakes but they also needs to be responsible and apologize if it’s true

I’ve seen the videos btw, and the clips are quite damning. They were fat-shaming him and some clips, ni-ki was making fun of him so much for being emotional (like parodying his member comforting Sunoo)

There’s a post in the thread that got 2k+ RT and it’s a scene of his members being obtuse over what’s happening in June (it’s his birthday) and he looked pretty upset about it. It’s quite a lot and Idk how to take it in, tbh. But i’ll try to see how this develops.

Yes honestly the thread was sad and can be hard to watch for some peoples...

• Official Post

Why does his weight have to be a punchline for a joke is my question...

The Baymax comment was just a bit much for me...

Actually I think this is pretty common especially when you consider that a lot of people tend to comment about weight in Asian countries like Korea. Many other groups make these jokes as well(doesn't make them okay though).

Obviously this doesn't excuse those comments but unless Sunoo himself speaks up and says he does/does not have an issue with them(he most likely won't say a word lbr) then we can't really judge or say anything.

• Official Post

It's not an issue. An account created in June with no followed accounts and followers started this drama, then deactivated. Now all other fandoms are trying to make others think that Enhypen members are bullies. They don't know why he's sad and assuming he gets bullied and taking things out of context is not the right way to go. Their jokes can hurt him but I don't think they do this with malicious intent, it's normalised in Korea and they probably don't understand how harmful it can be. I've seen many groups do this, do you think they're all bullies? Anyway, if Sunoo is offended the only way to fix this is for them to discuss this among each other, i-fans shitting on Enhypen on twitter won't do shit. Besides most of these comments are not even from Engenes.

Like I said in the other thread this situation reminds me of WayV. Kun is often called a pig by the members. Every time it happens, the clip makes the rounds on Twitter where non-fans and antis are outraged. Meanwhile actual Chinese fans get told that they're lying and wrong about their own culture when they explain why calling someone a pig isn't meant as an insult.

• It's not an issue. An account created in June with no followed accounts and followers started this drama, then deactivated. Now all other fandoms are trying to make others think that Enhypen members are bullies. They don't know why he's sad and assuming he gets bullied and taking things out of context is not the right way to go. Their jokes can hurt him but I don't think they do this with malicious intent, it's normalised in Korea and they probably don't understand how harmful it can be. I've seen many groups do this, do you think they're all bullies? Anyway, if Sunoo is offended the only way to fix this is for them to discuss this among each other, i-fans shitting on Enhypen on twitter won't do shit. Besides most of these comments are not even from Engenes.

I consider this to be an issue since this is a sensitive topic and he is trending since hours with more than 300k tweets...

Since your a fan, are these jokes toward him common? Or the twitter thread did a good job picking the « evidence »?

• Idk, considering how most of the time most fans do not even know their faves are getting bullied. Like members had to quit to speak up about it, or like AOA’s case wherein the group peak is already over.

I’ve seen the k-engene explanation and they blamed the translation. Funny thing is the trans is pretty aight with me, and I also checked in with my friends and that’s also how they would translate it pretty much

• Like I said in the other thread this situation reminds me of WayV. Kun is often called a pig by the members. Every time it happens, the clip makes the rounds on Twitter where non-fans and antis are outraged. Meanwhile actual Chinese fans get told that they're lying and wrong about their own culture when they explain why calling someone a pig isn't meant as an insult.

Do you know what’s the meaning according to them?

• My thoughts on the situation is that there is too little information that we as fans (or non-fans) know to make any sort of judgements beyond "this is making me uncomfortable, here's my concerns", and it's not our place to speculate or create narratives regarding their group dynamics. Anyone going further than that is not acting in good faith and is creating potentially misleading viewpoints about their relationships and assuming things that we as fans have no right to assume. It's not the fans role to be psychoanalyzing and micromanaging their relationships to each other. The issue has been raised and that's enough, the company for sure knows about it by now.

Going further (as many are on twitter and other platforms) is overstepping and acting in a malicious manner in my opinion. More than that, fandoms and accounts that have never said a word about Sunoo or ENHYPEN in their lives before to the point that they're just spreading misinformation need to stay out of it.

I also want to add that even the clips from EN- O'clock are being taken out of context as Sunoo's role within the skit was to be the cafeteria mouse of the class (edit: not literally, i just mean someone that likes food), hence the constant food comments. Sunoo was very clearly in on the joke, something you can see when he is giving out points for his question earlier in episode 1.

I agree that the initial issue with the weight jokes is a valid concern to have, and initiating a conversation about it isn't wrong, but i simply don't think the initial thread that set this off was done in good faith (the account acting as a solo stan and being malicious to other members, twisting certain situations outside of their contexts (making it seem like the members as a whole are othering him etc), being brand new (created in june 2021) and then instantly going private + deactivating a bit later etc). It has corrupted what could've otherwise been a productive discussion.

hello

Edited 2 times, last by tafattsbarn ().

• Idk, considering how most of the time most fans do not even know their faves are getting bullied. Like members had to quit to speak up about it, or like AOA’s case wherein the group peak is already over.

I’ve seen the k-engene explanation and they blamed the translation. Funny thing is the trans is pretty aight with me, and I also checked in with my friends and that’s also how they would translate it pretty much

Yes honestly the translation seems accurate. And Sunoo can't say anything that can confirm that these comments hurt him...

• tbh call me delusional or a solo stan overanalyzing, but i've been watching their content for a while and many moments did rub me the wrong way, but then i stopped following them that closely cause it got frustrating, so idk that much about the context of recent clips, but it doesn't look good to me .. although some are just reaching

I still think the boys are nice kids, just not thoughtful enough sometimes, so i wished someone just corrected them earlier, but it didn't happen which is sad

Idk what belift was doing, lowkey pushing the foodie image more on sunoo instead of fixing the issue. i don't get it. did we have to see them talking about his weight/ eating habits and diets that often ??

anyway sending dead threats to the members or dragging them is basically bullying and it's really disgusting, also incredibly hypocrite coming from people who wanna "defend" sunoo from his "bullies" (which is a reach )

same goes for non fans jumping on the occassion just to drag enha, it's really annoying but i guess this is a common thing in kpop community

• I'm glad someone brought it up because I think there's a conversation to be had here.

I don't think anyone in the group says things as a joke to be cruel or malicious intentionally. However, it can still be seen that way. Especially by outsiders who don't know the group's dynamics. Because I looked at the original thread and even when I know some are taken out of context, some of posts were pretty damning. That's why people have been showing support for Sunoo.

Even though jokes abut weight and diet are pretty normal in the kpop industry, it's really uncomfortable for me and I'm sure many others to see and hear that. Whether it actually affects Sunoo is not certain and only he can say that, I still think they shouldn't do it. It sends a terrible message to young impressionable fans.

• I consider this to be an issue since he is trending since hours with more than 300k tweets...

Since your a fan, are these jokes toward him are common? Or the twitter thread did a good job picking the « evidence »?

It's an issue for non-fans who don't even know the group and Sunoo solo stans who don't like other members and the fandom from the beginning for some reason, not for Engenes. These jokes are common, yeah, but that thread made it seem like they only make fun of Sunoo and never show him love which is not true. We can't expect them to see it as something wrong when it's normal in their country. I can tell they view it as innocent jokes and don't even think twice about it. They always tease each other in general, Sunoo is not the only object of jokes. I've watched I-LAND and I am sure these boys are not mean.

Tell me if my voice isn’t real
    If I shouldn’t have thrown myself away

sFWYLKc.gif

• It's an issue for non-fans who don't even know the group and Sunoo solo stans who don't like other members and the fandom from the beginning for some reason, not for Engenes. These jokes are common, yeah, but that thread made it seem like they only make fun of Sunoo and never show him love which is not true. We can't expect them to see it as something wrong when it's normal in their country. I can tell they view it as innocent jokes and don't even think twice about it. They always tease each other in general, Sunoo is not the only object of jokes. I've watched I-LAND and I am sure these boys are not mean.

They really need to be educated. The good thing is that since they are young, they can learn easily. Also I think even if Koreans views it as common they know how much it can affect people. Fatshaming is normalized but not celebrated most of Koreans know it’s bad and are against it.

I'm glad someone brought it up because I think there's a conversation to be had here.

I don't think anyone in the group says things as a joke to be cruel or malicious intentionally. However, it can still be seen that way. Especially by outsiders who don't know the group's dynamics. Because I looked at the original thread and even when I know some are taken out of context, some of posts were pretty damning. That's why people have been showing support for Sunoo.

Even though jokes abut weight and diet are pretty normal in the kpop industry, it's really uncomfortable for me and I'm sure many others to see and hear that. Whether it actually affects Sunoo is not certain and only he can say that, I still think they shouldn't do it. It sends a terrible message to young impressionable fans.

Your answer is so true! Hope the twitter thread can reach their management and educate them in order to avoid situations like this in future.

• The idol industry by nature champions skinny and underweight people. These idols have it beaten into them with these crazy diets, weigh-ins and brutal exercise regimens. Skinny is the standard. How they view "chubby" is going to be different. We all saw how Ailee, Jamie, Wendy etc got treated

Anyway, I don't think fans should be chiming in on group dynamics like that. Sometimes friends just make jokes that don't land well.

• You just summed up my thoughts exactly. Very well written.

• This thread contains 35 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!