Any highschool students in Korea?

• Hello, I'm sure not all of these apply to all korean schools but this is what it was like in mine

• expect the teachers to be very strict, they don't mess around here. I don't know where you came from, but here, you cannot eat during class or talk or pass notes or be a distraction or get distracted.
    • School isn't fun, it's more like a job. They are basically drilling you like you're in the military only the goal is to get into college and not fail at life.
    • Don't try to be a smart ass, they hate that. Don't try to joke or be funny, no class clowns. You'll only get everyone else in trouble
    • Depends on which school you go to but some schools have a Monday to Saturday school week. So sunday might be your only day off
    • You'll probably have a school uniform
    • If you get in trouble, the WILL hit you, smack you, rap your hand, all sorts of things
    • Your class is in charge of cleaning your classroom after everyday
    • Be serious about school. In some places, teachers see it as, oh well they are dumb or they dont want to be here or hate school, ect. In korea, if you are failing, if you get a 80%..... lord help you. I hope your parents aren't too strict, that'd suck, but the teachers are very strict and won't put up with such low grades
    • School days are really long, mine was from 8Am to 5pm, and after that we cleaned and most of us would stay to study until 9 or 10
    • They might give you options of what to major in for your testing. You can't have 2 and whichever you decide will pretty much decide the rest of your life, so think carefully before you make that decision
    • Make sure you have a small pillow you can put in your bag, so you can sleep in between classes for a few minutes. You'll need that sleep

Just an example, my average was 96 and I got in trouble for how low it was and was told I would fail in life

(I might think of more later)

• Hello, I'm sure not all of these apply to all korean schools but this is what it was like in mine

• expect the teachers to be very strict, they don't mess around here. I don't know where you came from, but here, you cannot eat during class or talk or pass notes or be a distraction or get distracted.
    • School isn't fun, it's more like a job. They are basically drilling you like you're in the military only the goal is to get into college and not fail at life.
    • Don't try to be a smart ass, they hate that. Don't try to joke or be funny, no class clowns. You'll only get everyone else in trouble
    • Depends on which school you go to but some schools have a Monday to Saturday school week. So sunday might be your only day off
    • If you get in trouble, the WILL hit you, smack you, rap your hand, all sorts of things
    • Be serious about school. In some places, teachers see it as, oh well they are dumb or they dont want to be here or hate school, ect. In korea, if you are failing, if you get a 80%..... lord help you. I hope your parents aren't too strict, that'd suck, but the teachers are very strict and won't put up with such low grades
    • School days are really long, mine was from 8Am to 5pm, and after that we cleaned and most of us would stay to study until 9 or 10
    • They might give you options of what to major in for your testing. You can't have 2 and whichever you decide will pretty much decide the rest of your life, so think carefully before you make that decision
    • Make sure you have a small pillow you can put in your bag, so you can sleep in between classes for a few minutes. You'll need that sleep

Just an example, my average was 96 and I got in trouble for how low it was and was told I would fail in life

Thank you for that, that makes a lot sense it was like that in my current school too lol. I'm going to go an international school so some things might be different. We also can't do anything during class, joke, talk, passing pencils, no drinking water at all. My current school days are longer than that so thats not a problem for me. Ugh looks like I will have a huge break from Kpop and internet for a while... I want to attend an Ivy league school so maybe it will benefit me in future

My family is not strict but they expect a lot from me so the reason why they're not strict is that I'm already too harsh on myself and I haven't failed their expectations yet. Our family overall is somewhat very ambitious bare minimum is getting accepted to Stanford. I'm not exaggerating my cousing got accepted to Stanford and my family still bad mouthed him for not doing that well... Some records my family members set are still not broken, for example my aunt scored first in a national college exam in 70's and she is the only person who attended her college with a such ranking. Also my grandfather was a very high ranking soldier so that just adds to the overall discipline and ego in my family...

• Thank you for that, that makes a lot sense it was like that in my current school too lol. I'm going to go an international school so some things might be different. We also can't do anything during class, joke, talk, passing pencils, no drinking water at all. My current school days are longer than that so thats not a problem for me. Ugh looks like I will have a huge break from Kpop and internet for a while... I want to attend an Ivy league school so maybe it will benefit me in future

I went to an international school too....

My family is not strict but they expect a lot from me so the reason why they're not strict is that I'm already too harsh on myself and I haven't failed their expectations yet. Our family overall is somewhat very ambitious bare minimum is getting accepted to Stanford. I'm not exaggerating my cousing got accepted to Stanford and my family still bad mouthed him for not doing that well... Some records my family members set are still not broken, for example my aunt scored first in a national college exam in 70's and she is the only person who attended her college with a such ranking. Also my grandfather was a very high ranking soldier so that just adds to the overall discipline and ego in my family...

Wow..... well, good luck! I hope you get into your college.

What a shitty system. Thank god I'm not going to Korean high school

• I went to an international school too....

Wow..... well, good luck! I hope you get into your college.

Thank you so much! Do you know if there are any dorms for international high school students in korea? My school is not a boarding school therefore I need to stay under a dorm and I don't know where to find one as I'm a forigner I don't want to face any problems...

• Thank you so much! Do you know if there are any dorms for international high school students in korea? My school is not a boarding school therefore I need to stay under a dorm and I don't know where to find one as I'm a forigner I don't want to face any problems...

Are you alone in Korea? Is your family not with you?

I'm not entirely sure, it probably depends on the school.... I was an exchange student so I lived with a family and not in a dorm. You should contact your school about that to see if they have living spaces.

What city will you be in? I might be able to help you out if you are comfortable telling me the city. I don't need to know the school if you don't want

Seoul is pretty safe but some places might be too party crazy for student safety

• Any school that expects kid to be in school from 7-8AM to 5-6PM ain't good school at all,

there isn't enough time to "reset" your mind, not even talking about being comfy/relaxed afternoon because when you come back to home it's already late, especially it sucks in winter when you need to wake up when it's dark and you come home when... it's already dark, useless waste of humans life, and energy.

I'm speaking from experience (I live in Poland), so I will give a comparison from my cousins school (he lives in Canada).

- School there is from Mon to Fr, starts everyday at 8 AM. At 12 normal classes like french, math, etc. end, and then either kids from one year, or sometimes even from few, are moving into their "speciality" classes, or one-two days a week they have PE and then they go home. Basically school there ain't ever longer than 8 hour shift, which means that with all breaks, lunch the latest hour when they end lessons is 4PM, but usually it's like 2:30, or 3PM.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Are you alone in Korea? Is your family not with you?

I'm not entirely sure, it probably depends on the school.... I was an exchange student so I lived with a family and not in a dorm. You should contact your school about that to see if they have living spaces.

What city will you be in? I might be able to help you out if you are comfortable telling me the city. I don't need to know the school if you don't want

Seoul is pretty safe but some places might be too party crazy for student safety

My mom will visit me once in 3 months for 2 weeks, overall yes I will have to stay in a dorm. I contacted school and they basically can't help in finding a dorm :( I'm in Seoul btw and I need a safe place that takes 200 to 4000 dollars monthly.

• My mom will visit me once in 3 months for 2 weeks, overall yes I will have to stay in a dorm. I contacted school and they basically can't help in finding a dorm :( I'm in Seoul btw and I need a safe place that takes 200 to 4000 dollars monthly.

Wait so you didn't organize your sleeping place before going to korea?

If 4000 dollars months for rent then you can find nice apartements.

I've never lived in a dorm, i have family in korea so i can't help you with that

I'll add some points

• no strong makeup or colored hair in highschool, the teachers will punish you and make fun of you

• bring your toothbrush with you

• don't try to be a social justice warrior, you're most likely on your own

• If you get in trouble, they WILL hit you, smack you, rap your hand, all sorts of things

In the midst of all the bullying controversies, I read that this was not true anymore. Basically the teachers have been deprived of their authoritative power, and that would be one of the reasons why bullies are mostly left unbothered in schools. (which is stupid since there are other ways to punish a student, it's not all about slaps and hits)

• I'll add some points

• no strong makeup or colored hair in highschool, the teachers will punish you and make fun of you

• bring your toothbrush with you

• don't try to be a social justice warrior, you're most likely on your own

Ah good ones, I forgot about those

In the midst of all the bullying controversies, I read that this was not true anymore. Basically the teachers have been deprived of their authoritative power, and that would be one of the reasons why bullies are mostly left unbothered in schools. (which is stupid since there are other ways to punish a student, it's not all about slaps and hits)

I haven't been in school for years but it was that way when I went, but yes all that makes sense

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!