What do you think about the strategic aspects of TWICE releasing Alcohol-Free during this period?

• A relaxing, chill summer song instead of a hype dance song in an era where people are still struggling with CoVid and quarantine.

A Latin-influenced title track (with plenty of well-written English lines, official Spanish subtitles, and a full-on Brazilian bossanova beat) at a time when TWICE is expanding their global reach to international markets.

A different genre and style from what TWICE has been known to do for their title tracks, and yet clearly still a mature and well-produced song that gives cheerful rather than dark vibes. Also, very different from the ongoing trend of hard-hitting beats and EDM dance music currently dominating Kpop girl groups.

A song with relatively-simple and straightforward choreography when Jeongyeon is possibly still worried about the aftereffects of her neck injury.

What do you think about the strategic combination of all those factors involved when the A&R team was choosing this song as TWICE's title track?

• I've said it elsewhere, but I think it's a very bold and risky decision but also a very smart one.

I don't think that this song is aiming much for international popularity tbh, as one of the many unusual qualities about it is the non-English chorus.

Rather it seems aimed at the Korean market and more specifically the large portion of the Korean population that do not listen to idol music that much.

I think it's going to pay off.

The past few Twice comebacks have underperformed domestically and that's not a trend that JYPE can afford to continue. Mediocre international success cannot replace great domestic success. Ideally they can have both, but right now they're losing mindshare in their most important market.

I think most striking to me is that this song clearly does not target the tween kpop demographic at all. Probably not what kpop fans wanted when they wanted Twice to "mature", but it is that in the truest sense of the word.

The more fickle and the younger audience has already moved on. JYP didn't score a massive hit last year, like, thirty years into his career, by aiming at the same age range as he did at debut.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!