Is youtube subscribers good metric to measure popularity of kpop groups?

• Youtube accounts can easily be created, so 1 person can subscribe can many accounts to subscribe just like streaming.

No offense, this is just my opinion. I think it definitely indicates that an artist has a big fandom and surely popular, but if I'm asked for overall popular I think the general public must be counted too and since I don't know how to count that, I will say no to your question.

• not really in KPOP, cause some companies put MVs on an all-in-one channel, and other put MVs on their own, so it skews it,

it obviously shows popularity to some degree tho

• Not really, because a lot of people can subscribe to you, after many years you may lose popularity but those same subscribers won't unsubscribe even if they don't listen to your songs anymore aka people won't actively unsubscribe channels they don't watch anymore

It gives you an illusion that you are popular when in reality you just have a lot of subs that many not actually stay with you in the long term.

In fact I think subs count is an even worse measure than views if you remove ads

• Nah

Imagine 5.000 people listen to a song

• 900 people subscribe to the artist's Youtube
    • 100 people don't even own a Youtube-account
    • 300 of the people listen to the song more than once
    • The Song has after a while 10 million views

Most of the people who don't subscribe to the artist's account most likly will say

• "I am not interested into watching their vlogs"
    • "They don't use English subtitles so what's the point of subcribing to them?"
    • "I am only here for their music"
    • "I listen to them, but I am not really a fan so why should I subscribe?"
    • "It's annoying to get notifications for videos you might never watch"
    • "Why should I subscribe when I just want to enjoy their music?"

A lot people can be fan of someone without using Youtube or don't want to subscribe to them for multiple reasons so it dosn't means that an artist with for example 50 million views on Youtube but only 10K subscriber would be unpopular

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• Official Post

Not in my opinion. Most groups have members in their fandom streaming full time so views are always going to be skewed, even with smaller groups.

Subscriber count is also iffy. Just because a person subs, doesn't meant they're actually going to watch the content.

Comments are typically full of spam or meme like comments.

• Maybe it's not an indicator between a group with 5M vs a group with 3M subs. But when you are talking an astronomical difference like 60M vs 10M, yeah its obvious which is more popular.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!