Tzuyu, the Huang An mess, GFriend and the ultimate beneficiary of all

• The mess Huang An created on Tzuyu does not have to be told again.

It put Tzuyu, who was 16, at the world stage. Her story was covered by all major media in the world, and she was briefly a world figure.

However, JYP failed to exploit this opportunity.

Apparently he thought more about the prospects of Got7's Jackson in China, and failed to make Tzuyu a worldwide star.

Perhaps he was afraid of the return of another Suzy, who became bigger than the group.

Whatever he thought, he did not do anything to promote Tzuyu further.

The whole Huang An mess briefly brought a sense of patriotism to Korea, and GFriend, which will be remembered through the falling video in history, just happened to be promoting at that time.

It helped that GFriend had no foreign members.

So, GFriend briefly climbed the top position of Kpop, which it held until Apr 2016 when Cheer Up showed up.

Without the Huang An mess, Cheer Up, which is kind of a graduation song, would have shown up with Tzuyu at the center and it would have ended the tale of GFriend at that point.

Instead Gfriend actually fought with a slight edge, and forced this

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Although the weaker showing of Navillera, complete with its eventual defeat on the hands of Wonder Girls, ended GFriend's heyday, being checked by an act, which, I have to say in retrospect, was not at a par with it hurt Twice' image.

Instead of seen as dominant over everyone else, Twice always had to exist with IOI, Mamamoo, BlackPink, RedVelvet and GFriend (and later izone and OhMyGirl).

Plus, the inability to use Tzuyu led to the 'all-fan' ethos, which hurt all girl groups btw. There was no clear star in Twice as the all fan ethos which crept up after the Huang An fiasco plagued all of KPop.

Now, since you know who is writing this , you probably guessed who was the ultimate beneficiary of all.

Because the 3rd Gen GGs did not show a single big star, like Yoona or Taeyeon or Tiffany Young, to climb to the top, that role was fulfilled by a Senior Singer, who managed to snatch the #1 idol position in 2017 on her 10th year!

If JYP had promoted Tzuyu despite of the Huang An mess, it is likely that some of the endorsement IU is doing (she is paid up to $1mil for each of them) would be Tzuyu's or someone else's.

But, because of the strange way JYP dealt with the Huang An mess, the all fan ethos robbed members of Third Generation Girl Group members the chance to become the next it girl, so a Second Generation figure (Lee Jieun) continues to reign even now.

taylor-swift-eras-tour-via-variance-films-.jpg

Edited 2 times, last by WhyKnock ().

• Very long winded way of saying that the 3rd gen gg's lack of ability (/care) to create an it girl that traverses more than music and fashion left a bigger gap in SK that IU could continue to fill and grow into.

Whether or not it impacted IU is an argument I can see being made in multiple different ways each with some credence behind it, but I am curious when we'll get the next idol that traverses most forms of media like a Suzy or Yoona did back in the 2nd gen.

There's so much money outside of Korea now that kpop groups/stars do not need to be so Korean-centric. Maybe a StayC member as one of them is already a solid actress though probably lacks the visuals to get to that level.

• Very long winded way of saying that the 3rd gen gg's lack of ability (/care) to create an it girl that traverses more than music and fashion left a bigger gap in SK that IU could continue to fill and grow into.

Whether or not it impacted IU is an argument I can see being made in multiple different ways each with some credence behind it, but I am curious when we'll get the next idol that traverses most forms of media like a Suzy or Yoona did back in the 2nd gen.

There's so much money outside of Korea now that kpop groups/stars do not need to be so Korean-centric. Maybe a StayC member as one of them is already a solid actress though probably lacks the visuals to get to that level.

I think you are talking about Park Sieun, daughter of 1980s dance singer Park Namjung. She was in JYP but was released, and StayC's company lacks the power and financials to project her out of Korea. JYP must have released her because of some reason, or JYP simply being blind, but in any case that basically took away about 50% of the chance to take the it girl position from IU.

• JYP probably had a lot of investments tied to China, it wasn't just about Jackson

Businessmen tend to think in terms of sunken cost, and not calculate the potential benefits. Tzuyu was truly a world figure back then and I think he would have made more money pushing Tzuyu and giving up his Chinese investments.

• Businessmen tend to think in terms of sunken cost, and not calculate the potential benefits. Tzuyu was truly a world figure back then and I think he would have made more money pushing Tzuyu and giving up his Chinese investments.

outside Korea/China and the kpop-sphere the Tzuyu news didn't pick up much interest.

• outside Korea/China and the kpop-sphere the Tzuyu news didn't pick up much interest.

That is how you spin things, but JYP did not think a long term strategy and emphasized his relationships with existing Chinese contacts more, and now he lost Got7 and is trying to get something by partnering with TenCent

• Tzuyu is pretty, but she does not have the personality to be an it girl.

it is possible, just look at Naeun from Apink, but maybe because of the incident or her personality, she was never going to be the it girl.

• since the op brought up the topic of china, i was wondering what the gp who knows of tzuyu in china think of her now? is she viewed just as negatively as she was viewed then or did the opinions change with time? heard huang an was blacklisted by the chinese media.

• outside Korea/China and the kpop-sphere the Tzuyu news didn't pick up much interest.

Nah someone sent me tzuyu's apology video around a month or two since it came out. Someone whos far past the kpop demographic in a forward that spoke against China's bullying of basically a child. I knew about the incident. I didn't know that it was tzuyu until much later :(

Desbundar

it is possible, just look at Naeun from Apink, but maybe because of the incident or her personality, she was never going to be the it girl.

I didn't know there was a standard for personality when it comes to IT girls. I always thought that it all comes to being liked

What she actually lacks is opportunities given by the company to build up her confidence and image.

He he speaking about Naeun she has a crush on Tzuyu ^^

Actually tzuyu was everywhere in 2016.

Her debut was huge amongst Knets and she was the most searched female visual in Google and topped gallup in her debut year.

Desbundar

• "Because the 3rd Gen GGs did not show a single big star, like Yoona or Taeyeon or Tiffany Young, to climb to the top, that role was fulfilled by a Senior Singer, "

Jennie is literally everywhere in South Korea. So is hwasa, and both are 3 gen idols.

This. 2nd gen sure did have huge it girls that are still popular. However 3rd gen idols like Hwasa and jennie are also top of the top it girls.

Desbundar

Naeun was unlucky that Jung Eunji, who was NOT the original member but was added at the last minute because Choi Jinho, the creator of Aprink, was impressed by IU's Good Day and decided a vocalist would be needed, stole all the spotlight. So Naeun is an indirect victim of IU too

• He he speaking about Naeun she has a crush on Tzuyu ^^

Actually tzuyu was everywhere in 2016.

Her debut was huge amongst Knets and she was the most searched female visual in Google and topped gallup in her debut year.

JYP stopping to promote Tzuyu after the Huang An mess was decisive for Tzuyu's obscurity

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!