Critical Race Theory: what do you think?

• if this ain't them 70 year old republican white men :pepe-clown-gear:

• I mean I can't exactly say much since it seems to be based mostly on US society.

But in general, sociologists sees race as a social construct, and that racism is how humans use certain physical appearances or traits to use that to discriminate against other humans who look different.

CRT goes more in depth into not just your everyday lives, but your social institutions as well, examples such as workplace discrimination, and even how people are treated differently in the eyes of the law

• I mean I can't exactly say much since it seems to be based mostly on US society.

But in general, sociologists sees race as a social construct, and that racism is how humans use certain physical appearances or traits to use that to discriminate against other humans who look different.

CRT goes more in depth into not just your everyday lives, but your social institutions as well, examples such as workplace discrimination, and even how people are treated differently in the eyes of the law

Yes, that's all true but CRT also teaches that the US is a racist country at heart and white people are evil and owe POC things

What about that?

• ? What do you mean ?

trying to rationalize racial injustice (even if its not directly) means either they haven't experienced racism the way colored people have or they're just privileged. We're living in a society where being racist can help the country "flourish" rn if I'm understanding what they mean. And from what I'm seeing on the news, flourishing is not normalizing and accepting racist behavior especially if it ends in a repeated cycle of harassment towards a person for their skin color.

like CNN said : "Critical race theorists believe that racism is an everyday experience for most people of color, and that a large part of society has no interest in doing away with it because it benefits White elites."

so when i said that above i mean ofc they'll support it

• Yes, that's all true but CRT also teaches that the US is a racist country at heart and white people are evil and owe POC things

What about that?

I'm not exactly too familiar with it, but it seems like it is more directed towards the institutions rather than the people.

That is the "racism of the US" in CRT seems to be more directed to things like for example, how people of colour are more likely to be incarcerated than white people, despite doing the same offense. And for me if you want to change things, it's not just the "mindset of the people" that we need to change, but the institutions as well. Because the social institutions and how they function, are a large part of what shapes the minds and mentality of people.

Like yes you can educate people and say things like "race does not determine your likelihood of committing a crime", but if the legal system in place somewhat systematically incarcerate more people of colour than white, then this will change their mentality again and all that "education" will also be for nothing

• trying to rationalize racial injustice (even if its not directly) means either they haven't experienced racism the way colored people have or they're just privileged. We're living in a society where being racist can help the country "flourish" rn if I'm understanding what they mean. And from what I'm seeing on the news, flourishing is not normalizing and accepting racist behavior especially if it ends in a repeated cycle of harassment towards a person for their skin color.

like CNN said : "Critical race theorists believe that racism is an everyday experience for most people of color, and that a large part of society has no interest in doing away with it because it benefits White elites."

so when i said that above i mean ofc they'll support it

I guess it really depends if they are Democrats or Republicans, liberal or conservative

But they are normalizing racism and teaching kids that all POC are victims and are owed by others and all white people are racist and are the ones who owe them. They aren't just teaching history the way it happened but they are teaching kids about the "present". It's kind of implanting in the kids heads that all whites are horrible and POC have every right to hate them.

• I'm not exactly too familiar with it, but it seems like it is more directed towards the institutions rather than the people.

That is the "racism of the US" in CRT seems to be more directed to things like for example, how people of colour are more likely to be incarcerated than white people, despite doing the same offense. And for me if you want to change things, it's not just the "mindset of the people" that we need to change, but the institutions as well. Because the social institutions and how they function, are a large part of what shapes the minds and mentality of people.

Like yes you can educate people and say things like "race does not determine your likelihood of committing a crime", but if the legal system in place somewhat systematically incarcerate more people of colour than white, then this will change their mentality again and all that "education" will also be for nothing

Yes that's true, they are teaching it in schools

The schools and government do have a lot of influence over what people think I agree.

If they did the same thing then of course a white person and a black person should get the same sentence

Race doesn't determine your likelihood to commit a crime, you as a person determine the likelihood, but unfortunately, an overwhelming amount of crimes are committed by black people despite them being less than a quarter of the US's population, so of course police are more suspicious of them. It makes sense that if one group of any color does something more than anyone else to suspect them more than the group who does way less, but treating them wrongly or unequally in court in terms of how much punishment they get is not right

• I guess it really depends if they are Democrats or Republicans, liberal or conservative

But they are normalizing racism and teaching kids that all POC are victims and are owed by others and all white people are racist and are the ones who owe them. They aren't just teaching history the way it happened but they are teaching kids about the "present". It's kind of implanting in the kids heads that all whites are horrible and POC have every right to hate them.

True :/

buuut i feel like that's another issue because again the problem is that people are still judging based off color

because I'm still young and lack the knowledge of adulthood though, I'm going to take what you said and accept it because i really have nothing more to add on lol

• True :/

buuut i feel like that's another issue because again the problem is that people are still judging based off color

because I'm still young and lack the knowledge of adulthood though, I'm going to take what you said and accept it because i really have nothing more to add on lol

Racism is a problem and it's wrong, but that's not what CRT is about at all

ok, well sorry to start a whole debate type thing lol

• Racism is a problem and it's wrong, but that's not what CRT is about at all

ok, well sorry to start a whole debate type thing lol

no, no its okay. if i was wrong then its good to correct me! i saw this more of as a heated discussion but yes these topics can escalate to aggression quickly ^^

• no, no its okay. if i was wrong then its good to correct me! i saw this more of as a heated discussion but yes these topics can escalate to aggression quickly ^^

I mean, I don't agree 100% percent but that doesn't mean you're wrong

It's all just opinions that don't matter cuz the government is gonna do whatever they want to do anyway

• So Critical Race Theory (CRT) is complicated and so I'm not going to explain it to you, here's some links to articles about it instead

What do you think about it?

CRT: CNN

CRT: Britannica

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

You guys need more this between races than putting every fact and incident on table from 400 years back.

• Yes that's true, they are teaching it in schools

The schools and government do have a lot of influence over what people think I agree.

If they did the same thing then of course a white person and a black person should get the same sentence

Race doesn't determine your likelihood to commit a crime, you as a person determine the likelihood, but unfortunately, an overwhelming amount of crimes are committed by black people despite them being less than a quarter of the US's population, so of course police are more suspicious of them. It makes sense that if one group of any color does something more than anyone else to suspect them more than the group who does way less, but treating them wrongly or unequally in court in terms of how much punishment they get is not right

As someone who just had to take a stupid sociology class this semester, you are 100% wrong. Critical Race Theory is exactly what it sounds like “ A Theory”. It’s used for abstract/holistic teaching,

Basically Critical Theory is a of looking at society as a whole AND NOT as an individual. Republicans claiming it’s telling white kids in school they are racist, HAVE LITERALLY, never learned about it.

It talks about SYSTEMS. It’s all broad data and holistic look at society. So for example, the income gap between Whites and Black Americans have broader/increased since Civil Rights act 1968. So instead of thinking “wow blacks still haven’t done anything”, it looks at the actual situation.

It looks at things like the incarceration disparities, it looks at things like the Resume Study (that saw employers rejected ethnic (black) sounding names WAY MORE than white names with EXACT same qualifications). It looks at differences in school access and redlining that happened that prohibited blacks from living in nice neighborhoods.

I know your a republican at this point (since you have no idea what your talking about besides re-using talking points). But critical race theory isn’t bad and every kid learned about it anyways (it just has the correct name now).

TLDR: So no, critical race theory isn’t calling whites racist and saying blacks are forever disadvantaged. It looks at society (hence why it’s studied in sociology) and looks at SYSTEMS instead of people. And your kinda ignorant if you still don’t think America systems are racist (not the people). You can look at sentencing of black men (who get arrested for weed at a MUCH higher rate than white men, even they use at the same rate). etc etc etc.

If you wanna get educated, literally just google institutional racism and you will see lots of studies showing unfair treatment of minorities in this country. I don’t see anything wrong with educating kids about the reality of race problems in America

Edited once, last by Kouss ().

• It amounts to creating Racism for the use by perpetual victimized. The Grand excuse for their miscible existence. Faux Racism that is a mockery of Real Social Changes made. It is a Poison flowing freely by those who virtue signal the latest Wokisms. Poison administered to children by the sick minded. Targeting Children to condition them before becoming Adults. Because Adults can see it as the BS that it is.

• How do they prove / verify incarnation disparities, resume study and other subjects under " holistic look" acts of racism during teaching? or they simply brought these up left the doubts and the rest to students?

• How do they prove / verify incarnation disparities, resume study and other subjects under " holistic look" acts of racism during teaching? or they simply brought these up left the doubts and the rest to students?

Also it’s a THEORY. Critical Race theory isn’t suppose to proof because it’s about seeing connections for example:

there are studies or just plain statistical data. Black people make up only 13% of the population, but black men make up 34% (the highest) of men in jail. If you look at female stats, White women(47%) > black women (18%).

Why are Blacks at a higher rate of incarceration? Over-policing of black communities. Here’s an report from the US Justice Department showing Baltimore police targeting blacks specially for searches etc, more than ANY other race: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37038421.amp

This over policing is proof of a institution in America (the police who have notoriously been racist in history) being racist and targeting blacks for no reason.

It’s holistic because you don’t just look at black men making up 34% of incarceration and say “wow that’s bad”, critical race theory makes you think “how does that affect the black race”.

So if more blacks are being policed/targeted by police, higher chance of being charged with a crime. This leads to black men not being in the community, this leads to single mothers, which leads to the income gap widening. Absent fathers leads to less parenting, which leads to kids in bad communities doing bad things continuing the cycle.

It’s not as simple as “whites bad, blacks oppressed”. It’s looking at actual ways that blacks ARE oppressed by systems in America like the police.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!