NCT labeled with "noise" music when they debuted with this masterpiece?!!

• NCT does hip hop better than any SM group. Their R&b side is also good it is just that they don't have a voice like D.O, Jonghyun. Also, not every SM group has to be ultra vocal-focused Sm should explore other spaces.

I also disagree 7th sense doesn't feel forced for NCT. One of their best songs and there is a reason everyone wants them to do smth like 7th sense again

• I kinda disagree (though I’m open to be proven wrong). Because I like performance videos, I’ve watched quite a few performance videos from nct and other groups, both sm and not sm, and I don’t find nct lacking. In fact they actually have quite a lot of them who have I think have what it takes to be worthy successors to some of their top seniors whom you’ve mentioned (maybe not at where say Taemin is at now or Kai because they have literally double the number of years of experience after debut). I don’t know whether it’s because fans keep emphasizing their visuals or because their talent is lost in the huge spectacle of their numbers, but they have so many strong performers.

This is a low quality fancam, with no special spotlights or water effects or fancy costumes (they literally look like they’re wearing everyday clothes), but I was mesmerised.

As groups, they’re no slouch either and seems comparable to performances by even some notable veteran groups.

I am already familiar with the group and I am okay with not having the same perspective. There is value in seeing what isn't easily seen. I think the fans are mesmerised by the visuals aspects of the group, but the NCT roster is not there yet when it comes to focused intensity and emoting especially in the eyes. If it were at the level I think they are capable of, trust, I wouldn't shut up saying good things about it. Maybe developing the guys is a challenge because there are so many of them? They would need between 1-3 people on their team to really stay on top of assessing, coordinating, and documenting the members' individual development.

I personally can't connect or feel any "fire" when they dance and it has been a disappointment for a long time. NCT doesn't have anyone in their core group who is as vibey as Kai or Taemin which is a shame if part of the goal is to execute at a high level when it comes to "choreo-ed" Hip-Hop/Hip-Pop. I personally would like the NCT "brand" to have the same focused performance intensity as SHINee and EXO when they debuted. These guys just have "IT"..that "spark":

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If Lucas projected the same amount of intensity and strength, especially in the eyes, as Minho when he dances, I would have given Lucas his flowers already. Lucas would graduate from a lady killer to being a lady assassin:

NCT does hip hop better than any SM group. Their R&b side is also good it is just that they don't have a voice like D.O, Jonghyun. Also, not every SM group has to be ultra vocal-focused Sm should explore other spaces.

I also disagree 7th sense doesn't feel forced for NCT. One of their best songs and there is a reason everyone wants them to do smth like 7th sense again

They are one group in an agency with a history of underperforming on raps. SM doesn't take Hip-Hop or Hip-Pop/Rap seriously and I think their attempts have been inconsistent for a hot minute because of it. It's not their strength like R&B and I don't think they even want to be competent at it. If SM starts slipping on R&B for their groups, then that's going to be a more noticeable problem. The song itself is fine, I just don't think NCT's team has done their job well in effectively developing the intensity and vibe of the individual members to really make tracks like this hit on the level it should. The song production goes so hard that it drives the group instead of the group driving the song.

Maybe SM needs to facilitate more teambuilding and development sessions between their senior and junior group members. Especially with developing Shotaro's swagg. He's like the only guy with natural "swaqorce (swagg force)" and charisma on the extended NCT roster. If NCT's team actually developed him properly, he can be swagg primed and working the camera effectively in like two years. There is still room for individual development for the guys under the NCT "brand". Will SM makes it a priority? That's up in the air.

• I couldn’t access the first SHINee vid but I can see what you mean with the exo performance. Even at just D.o.’s opening I had chills. I don’t know if it’s the same thing, but I’ve also wondered before why the more recent groups don’t “engage” with the camera as much. For instance, fx and gg smolders and/or flirts with the camera way more than red velvet and aespa.

I don’t even like the song but I enjoyed watching this.

External Content youtu.be

Sob. Miss fx.

But speaking of Lucas, when he attempted to do the same during the first week’s live performances for make a wish, he got soooo much flak for it from the k-fandom and knetz who ridiculed him for “overdoing” it. After that, he was noticeably more subdued. So I don’t know if there’s something in the fan culture there or the k-nctzens culture that (maybe, just me hypothesizing) that might be too hypercritical and would make it harder for them to develop these traits you’ve described. I like nct a lot because their content is so fun but from the examples you’ve given, at the moment, I think only Taeyong, Lucas, Shotaro, Xiaojun, Yuta in varying degrees, show glimmers of potential of that kind of emotional intensity.

• I couldn’t access the first SHINee vid but I can see what you mean with the exo performance. Even at just D.o.’s opening I had chills. I don’t know if it’s the same thing, but I’ve also wondered before why the more recent groups don’t “engage” with the camera as much. For instance, fx and gg smolders and/or flirts with the camera way more than red velvet and aespa.

I don’t even like the song but I enjoyed watching this.

I muted the audio and just watched the vid. It was very engaging. The thing is, this is a coachable skill. Each group has their own flavor and these kind of touches can bring out the flavor of the group even more.

Sob. Miss fx.

But speaking of Lucas, when he attempted to do the same during the first week’s live performances for make a wish, he got soooo much flak for it from the k-fandom and knetz who ridiculed him for “overdoing” it. After that, he was noticeably more subdued. So I don’t know if there’s something in the fan culture there or the k-nctzens culture that (maybe, just me hypothesizing) that might be too hypercritical and would make it harder for them to develop these traits you’ve described. I like nct a lot because their content is so fun but from the examples you’ve given, at the moment, I think only Taeyong, Lucas, Shotaro, Xiaojun, Yuta in varying degrees, show glimmers of potential of that kind of emotional intensity.

Seriously, f(x) is one of SM's biggest failures. They truly were years ahead of their time as a group. Case and point; is there another group like them around? They didn't have as many smash or hit-album cuts as I would have liked, but they could've been quaking the game right now with the right assortment of quality songs. If SM had SNSD, f(X), Red Velvet, and Aespa on their active roster, that would have been something to marvel at! If they all were primed for working the audience (camera or crowd), it would be the second biggest thing SM would be known for in addition to their powerhouse singers.

I guess it all comes back to what is the right balance for the NCT guys. Once the NCT team sees the value of skilling the guys up in these areas, they are going to be an incredibly massive threat along with catalog quality songs that feel true to the various sub-unit of guys. They have the looks, they just have to learn how to work it at a high level. SM will then have the beginnings of brand appeal that could last decades for NCT. Trust, I wouldn't keep bringing this up if I didn't see clear potential in what SM is trying to create.

I know I'm probably written off as a hater when I raise these kind of standpoints, but I'm really a constructive appreciator. I'll go against the grain if it set things in motion for a group to perform at a consistently strong level and for them to put out MV work that can become catalog classics for the agency and industry. Many are still sleeping on K-Pop until the music's general average becomes good enough to start snatching other people's lunch money.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!