[BTS CONTENT] Namjoon's wordplay is sick

• 1.Trivia 承 : Love

I’m just a person, person, person

You erode all my sharp edges

You make me

Into love, love, love

— Trivia 承 : Love

To understand the genius at work in these lyrics, you have to look at the Korean words for “person” and “love”: 사람 and 사랑. The words are exactly the same except for the final character. When you “erode the sharp edges” of the square letter ㅁ, you get the round letter ㅇ.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. We Are Bulletproof Pt. 2

Told me it’s impossible but

Look carefully, I put a period in impossible

I’m possible

— We Are Bulletproof Pt. 2

For RM, nothing is impossible—even the word itself confirms that. By putting a period (or rather, a space) in the middle of the word “impossible”, it’s separated into two words that create the opposite meaning: “I’m” and “possible”.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. Love Maze

Love is a maze, damn

But you is amaze, yeah

— Love Maze

BTS have spoken about the complexity of love in so many of their songs. In “Love Maze”, RM contrasts love itself being confusing like “a maze” with the object of his affections being “amaze”, or amazing. It’s a romantic line many of us can only dream of hearing in real life!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4. 134340

‘Us’ is just a plural of ‘U’

— 134340

On the surface, RM is saying that “us” (two people) is the plural or multiple of “you” (one person). But if you look closely at the spelling of these lyrics, you’ll also notice that the word “us” is just “u” with an “s” added to make it a plural noun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5. Am I Wrong

A fish lives in all our hearts

Its name is selfish, selfish

— Am I Wrong

The first line of this couplet makes so sense at first. But by adding three little letters to the beginning of the word “fish”, RM makes a smart commentary on all of us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6. Heartbeat

Been calling your name in this whole universe

Now I need no space

I got youniverse

— Heartbeat

There’s more than one play on words going on in this song. First, there’s the word “space”—on one hand, it means time apart, and on the other hand it refers to the cosmos or universe referenced in the previous line. Then, RM turns “universe” into “you-niverse” to complete the metaphor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7. Seoul Town Road

I got the homis in my bag

Have you heard of that?

Homis made of steel, from Korea, they the be-e-est

Ridin’ to the farm

Grabbin’ all the corn

We gon’ get yo’ money with my homi in your backyard

— Seoul Town Road

When international fans first heard RM on the “Seoul Town Road” remix with Lil Nas X, many thought his lyrics about farming were a reference to the original lyrics about horses and tractors. They were also confused about how RM’s “homies” fit into all of this. But Korean fans were quick to explain the real lyric—not homies, but “homis”. A homi is a steel Korean farming tool that’s becoming popular all over the world. Once you know that, the whole verse suddenly becomes even more clever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8.DDaeng

The sound of the cashier collecting bills, ddaeng.

When I was younger, I liked playing freeze-tag, ddaeng.

I’m ding-dong, you’re ddaeng.

You’re a 7 keut*, I’m ddaeng.

Sleeping right after eating ramen, the face is ddaeng.

You losers, do your thang.

Look at me, I’m your errthang.

You’re dope? Cool? Damn ridiculous.

—DDaeng

Even when he refers to “ddaeng” as an onomatopoeia, he uses it differently. In one instance, he uses it to explain the cashier’s sound, and in the other he uses it to explain that someone else is wrong, as “ddaeng” is the sound associated with striking a bell when someone is wrong (and “ding-dong” when someone is right).

In other lines, he refers to the Korean card-game of Seotda, where the “7 keut” refers to a poor combination of cards, and the following “ddaeng” refers to him having a better combination. Lastly, he calls his haters’ faces “ddaeng”, whereby the word comes from an expression used to describe round faces when one’s face swells up after falling asleep after eating ramyun. In the final line, Namjoon uses the sound of “ttaeng” to rhyme the entire verse, but not before playing with languages and using “thang”, the slang word for “thing”, to prove his point.

cr: seoulbeats; kboo

• Official Post

WBK! A genius! Wordsmith!

I love these as well:

"Rap is an easy genre to them, too many generals" - Cypher pt 3

"It isn't these words, wordplay, it's just a warplay the world plays" - Awakening

The fact that he plays around with both English and Korean words

when English is not even his native tongue

I wish to end this winter, how much longing must fall like snow before that spring day arrives?Spring Day

160837-for-gif

• Sharing this because it popped up in my timeline. JOKE has always been one of my favorite RM mixtape track ever since I heard it. The rhyme and flow he has here is so sick and I loved how he just showed people what he got and that he was a RapMonster.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

🧈🌳🌱🧈 RM Wifenida 🧈🌱🌳🧈

38bb8dc71205c520373397212dfdb9c72e11cbcb.gif

• Sharing this because it popped up in my timeline. JOKE has always been one of my favorite RM mixtape track ever since I heard it. The rhyme and flow he has here is so sick and I loved how he just showed people what he got and that he was a RapMonster.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

namjoon is a true artist

i hold so much respect for him

• namjoon is a true artist

i hold so much respect for him

he is and he has grown so much too! He isn’t just a musician with the opportunities run and shows like in the soop, they were also able to explore other ways to be creative. His lyrics are very relatable in whatever walk of life. I can’t wait for all the masterpiece he will put out in the future.

🧈🌳🌱🧈 RM Wifenida 🧈🌱🌳🧈

38bb8dc71205c520373397212dfdb9c72e11cbcb.gif

• he is and he has grown so much too! He isn’t just a musician with the opportunities run and shows like in the soop, they were also able to explore other ways to be creative. His lyrics are very relatable in whatever walk of life. I can’t wait for all the masterpiece he will put out in the future.

yup im not really much into music or anything but i really love watching his live's where he explains his creative process :lover1:

bts and their passion for music is really incredible

Yes! His wordplay and delivery is second to none! I love the fact Joke has no chorus just straight bar after bar!

• one of my favorite wordplay is his line in dope

it was translated like this in the mv but its so much better with context

IMG_20210128_041018.jpgIMG_20210128_040850.jpg

sampo generation (3-po) that feel like they have to give up 1) love, 2) marriage and 3) children in order to survive in the competitive job market and live a 'decent life' in general.

ohpo generation (5-po) gave up those 3 things +house and employment

there is indeed a yookpo generation (6-po) that gave up all those + interpersonal relationships but yookpo also sounds like beef jerky in korean so namjoon was cheekily saying 'since i like beef jerky, i'm sampo generation" and urging them not to give up on his next lines

• oh also his line in boyz with fun

IMG_20210128_043710.jpg

ni chi fan le ma (你吃飯了嗎) means have you eaten in chinese but its korean pronunciation sounds like 니 시발놈아 (ni shi bal neom ah) which is a hard curse like you mf jerk or something. that's why boyz with fun got banned by some broadcasts 😂😂

• namjoon shut up :pepe-grooving:

• saw this on twitter about Dead Leaves, one of his best verses:

a genius :love:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!