spotify monthly stats of 15 girlgroups

• i had created a tool a bit ago for pulling streaming info off spotify and figured it'd be interesting to look at some of the biggest girl groups spotify info. sadly spotify doesn't let you see very insightful data but still thought some may be interested in seeing the results.

Graph 1: the total streams is off for BP (missing the dua lipa song with ~640m streams) and LSF (should be 2.7 billion). Others may be off +- a couple million. other info is directly from spotify so its accurate and was gathered today

Graph 2: this uses the "top 5 cities" for listeners that spotify provides and shows the total listeners per country across all the groups and their ranking. it doesnt mean too much since you can only see the top 5 (for ex, NJs is possibly #1 in every country but only see 5) but still kinda interesting. its probably accurate but im not a mathematician

spotify_monthly.png

spotify_cities.png

anyways, I was bored at work and threw this together real quick. if you like looking at numbers, enjoy

Edited once, last by Tru-Multistan: LSF should be 2.7 billion total streams/listeners ().

• Need to make note that TWICE Spotify account was created in late 2018. They missed their most dominant years (2016-2018) with their most dominant hits (Cheer Up for SK and TT for Japan) at their peak viralness/height. But they still are making up for it in in six years. Not bad at all.

Anyways as a chart watcher, I'm curious how Illit and Le Sserafim will fair on BB Hot 100 in the later half of this year. :eyes:

• Need to make note that TWICE Spotify account was created in late 2018. They missed their most dominant years (2016-2018) with their most dominant hits (Cheer Up for SK and TT for Japan) at their peak viralness/height. But they still are making up for it in in six years. Not bad at all.

Anyways as a chart watcher, I'm curious how Illit and Le Sserafim will fair on BB Hot 100 in the later half of this year. :eyes:

yes its very possible Twice would have more total streams than BP had they opened their account earlier. they do have almost 3x as many tracks, but still impressive numbers

• ID = Indonesia?

CL?

• Surprised that NJ have so many Spotify listeners in Japan because a very knowledgeable person said that all NJ streams from Japan were due to max 2500 peoples ;judgingpepe:

• TWICE Spotify account was created in late 2018. They missed their most dominant years (2016-2018) with their most dominant hits (Cheer Up for SK and TT for Japan) at their peak viralness/height.

Why did JYPE not put Twice's music on Spotify until late 2018? This seems like a foolish decision given that streaming was already quite popular back then.

• Is this just simply based on a ranking of monthly_listeners? And the cut-off point is 500 I assume?

The world rank seems to be based off monthly listeners yes, but I don't know for sure. What you said was my assumption as well.

Is this supposed to be total streams instead?

Yes it is the sum of streams for every track. LSF is wrong, it should be 2.7 billion, had some duplicates in the data. And BP is missing 600m from the dua lipa song. Rest seem to be on point with what kworb shows.

• This is your friendly reminder that NewJeans has more total streams than aespa and IVE combined despite having significantly fewer songs AND being a younger group than either of them.

Yes, I want the smoke. It ain't even a competition, and 2024 is shaping up to go just like all the previous years did, with NewJeans on top by a wide margin relative to their peers.

• The world rank seems to be based off monthly listeners yes, but I don't know for sure. What you said was my assumption as well.

If that's the case, what's really surprising to me is that there are 467 artists more popular than Blackpink on Spotify. I suppose that speaks to how niche K-pop really is on a worldwide scale.

Yes it is the sum of streams for every track. LSF is wrong, it should be 2.7 billion, had some duplicates in the data. And BP is missing 600m from the dua lipa song. Rest seem to be on point with what kworb shows.

Got it, so it's total streams, not total listeners. Now for monthly_listeners, that's actually the number of monthly listeners, and not monthly streams right?

• Got it, so it's total streams, not total listeners. Now for monthly_listeners, that's actually the number of monthly listeners, and not monthly streams right?

yes that's actually a good distinction I wasn't thinking of. The monthly listeners is unique spotify accounts, or so google says

• yes that's actually a good distinction I wasn't thinking of. The monthly listeners is unique spotify accounts, or so google says

Ok, so I think that the table headings would be clearer as total_streams and monthly_listeners. Now would it also be possible to pull data to support a monthly_streams column?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!