As the years pass SNSD is becoming less “iconic”

• ITTNW actually seems more likely to outlast them in public memory. When people talk about legendary kpop girl groups of all time, 8 out of 10 will bring up Black Pink. Probably 5 years ago it would have still been SNSD. It used to take many years for one group to take the spot of dominance over the other, but now it’s like everything is accelerating and so much has happened that former legendary groups are no longer part of the conversation. It shouldn’t be a surprise as it happened to SES before them.

• Very true. I wasnt around for the heyday of 2nd gen so i dont get the hype. The best things about SNSD are Taeyeon (she has some solid bangers that Weekend song is one of the best ever retro songs in Kpop) and The Boys, I LOVE this song, Izone did an awesome cover but it was way too short i wish they had done a full one.

Besides these two things, the only other point of interest regarding the group is Kwon Yuri sharing the same name as Jo Yuri. Although we all know what will happen when Squid Games 2 comes out...the entire world will only know ONE Yuri and it wont be the ahjumma. :pepe-hips:

• SNSD are still iconic the same way BP are. The thing is that BP are still "fresh" with their achievements, records and presence in kpop so obviously they'll be remembered more.

I thought this was obvious, but seeing your op and oldhouse reply made me see dumb people don't know even obvious things :pepepizza:

𝙱𝙰𝙱𝚈 𝙸'𝙼 𝙰 𝚁𝙾𝙲𝙺𝚂𝚃𝙰𝚁

• BP is younger and are still fresh on people's minds but both have unique things that made them the legends they are. So, both will be iconic forever.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Kpop was still relatively new when SNSD came on the scene. There wasn't much for them to compete with, so they became "legendary" practically by default. The longer a style or sub-genre of music has been around, the more acts you have to compete with for space in people's memory, including ones that came before & after you.

• Very true. I wasnt around for the heyday of 2nd gen so i dont get the hype. The best things about SNSD are Taeyeon (she has some solid bangers that Weekend song is one of the best ever retro songs in Kpop) and The Boys, I LOVE this song, Izone did an awesome cover but it was way too short i wish they had done a full one.

Besides these two things, the only other point of interest regarding the group is Kwon Yuri sharing the same name as Jo Yuri. Although we all know what will happen when Squid Games 2 comes out...the entire world will only know ONE Yuri and it wont be the ahjumma. :pepe-hips:

me and you boycotting squid game if yuri dies right?

• me and you boycotting squid game if yuri dies right?

yurijo.gif

I've been talking a lot of trash about Yuri ending everyone by being the only idol who will be seen by potentially 500 MILLION eyeballs when SG2 airs (i know TOP is in it and some other rando BG idol-turned-actor but i'm talking only about RELEVANT idols lol).

I am praying every day that the showrunners dont screw me over by killing her in the first epi lol.

I remember reading an article about how the directors were astounded at Yuri's acting ability esp for a rookie. Hopefully even if they did originally plan to kill her off quickly, her performance has made them want to keep her longer or even ALIVE by season's end :pepe-pray::pepe-pray:

• she was in a poster i saw. we going to get atleast 2 episodes :meme-hide-the-pain:

• Man, I'm honestly fed up with Kpop trolls. I've seen so many Kpop stans on Twitter, mostly on Insta making videos about BP saying they are more Iconic than IU or SNSD.

The comparison alone is so disrespectful, I don't even know how to describe it. Seriously, I don't want to shade anyone, but there's no group in Kpop who can reach just HALF of what SNSD or IU achieved. I know everyone has their own faves, and they think they're the most Icon groups ever, but put aside your fandom brain for a second and think about what you're saying.

I wouldn't put Mamamoo above SNSD (or IU), because what they did for Kpop is Legendary, and yes, Mamamoo changed beauty standards, and opened the doors for underrepresented communities, but still, the way we know Kpop today is because of SNSD.

They're still on the TOP after 17 YEARS! Most groups disband after 7 years. GG maybe not topping the charts, but no group could do that after 7 years, let alone 17. They're still the "Nation's Girl Group" for a reason.

Put aside your recency bias, short-term hype doesn't mean your faves or any group is Iconic or Legendary. Those titles are not achievable after a couple of years.

• No comment needed!

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!