[enter-talk] Red Velvet before and after working with Min Heejin

• When Min Heejin was there

AVvXsEg4b5RUdegJ2XBy6R00K86Ll-arSAkQh4d1MTTf7eWCSqxEchFsUVCX7RJs5c6xU1ZsldBih3mJFolrGLdjyAoB-iHdLM-jYyQTOeXEW8cx2_NKEzkjHQfXtE6pMKtXVLlBarqV77r_1aa4_ipkzaQD7VIsqDW7pIi8jDND_IqDmfrXoWCNsGsh0NmVgGZn

AVvXsEj9hldUpba47IJiC53G1CDCljywuimz_C5VURVzPf6Ebf8sI9OB-4BMmEiVZ_tQuDnebXyhMnEZxcbe9itSyOxYUJH8NCwUG9aUmK58CaY66L0oz7kz1IIXh74uLvcOcuOpsYFcacmU3IXzwdXjkPfrs_NugOImtvNEW3rsrjInqYuNMrCnWk_7tNWFQZgM

AVvXsEhRov84A_CNWLkzKwtjqbJbCrFKwf3tuz6GUzds1eJJQPbFVGoliQyd1L_CzmdxVemEbn7PCNlhv1AsQfqpU_xA-82R082F9D9lWrElZUA0QyG-STm6JlWZQ5YthRf4lH_1fHGPEzeDulrltl8S-Jiwr94kHGyzJ9i3ikrgHp76ZyP3S-s6eBzFuDYMZe-k

AVvXsEhL3Wp_X2aTXfB6ol9yGUX4lY7Q5sVVbnwnTU1qLiuWdIyRHx65h5mcV7xdKZcByOymmZ2SZ0sa-giHC--Edo7ntYK3v1HWr_shQsBx5kzTFoQ9yUdU33JcOHOTK82B2q673YNM6FJTTGrj3hZw_F-3NGqGaCnCy2u0ES8u-5NfIHyOEjhw86ojGHNHGWbg

AVvXsEiiIXUJ-OW6sRk_GJsd8vAPWVG0wFOlW27eL5zvGqVZwS_nAs6fObJ8YeEMcoL6LIGrMG-ajKl4hb22Fg5D7G6bzNlOTFcuPaV7QlSXWH2gp44vNF7hX4mMVQWh60Yb_S69V7A8-evu2uxPUAn74Os4mwNxU9rZ2Tw8t74azbUkqCoQmDLpymfAgnXWMuR1

After Min Heejin left

AVvXsEgymWET4oQMTUTjk5Dp1QLcod71ruInsiqIOC-jv6rSgfJxnj7fquJ1fIHA7B7NJO1-UG9ha9106NOjmRaMBAyO9-QvBDSoheti0uZjFUPZe-A6B-MY3sQH7z5tsRenyd7lV3ewCgjkiMCmtrSrdEpZOZqn3z8p8KzuXAnuXOeT6STLhfcurJbpf78Fkx1X

AVvXsEiqBuydb7O6TgjMLtoBD4aP_MFlR7-EGpvilOAJvm2XfIdD3kWE_JsImIV3FJmhl8_vPONjVwIi9L70yYrBUl2ymJMR6zyiIdAjsznqT18exxGs8rBvXwA-jc5Ok48fYGWQ_CdXV47lJhvtiodMZxvwc97KMcAqZq83PoQ77K5N4Tv_4AInLotjNhP_nwZH

AVvXsEhtO6FrwuBcqh2-jJekn91zJhSzgBWR2cl661OQdUYqKetuYvvNKsnfLy6WSXQU1uKTu4WfEqVsQIO2Gs-Gf1Ots1wsysiGIC3ZdvgxeJZEyLLbd-RsdDXAZEUv7K5QhvHAVkPfLkk2LLy0z_bdDtqSDCyho0h39WkzArAJna2G72AZvAeHk7a9VuvzNBGP

AVvXsEgeYXWYHJJh48jWpW0ADjmA3IQZ3kRiIsrs9SNN-1817K9q7n09cG8JH8gGW9IE50TZO7CJx-fXY9JpcMRYaV57OgZtM7rDJyTYiBUFZkrCH2Z4aRAeQb9YnJeugA1nPobNX3-zCIFeW6xgecfGJpQFSPex5NzxQIUFnLugmVa9QLT99ZIfpu0ptltRN4Hx

AVvXsEjGn_GRde4rcc9-sonb7ZZonmcTKYDUYW7QCo8YYCe_VHbB4Escd8dMwD56r3ZLyIhzx2lP5Hpdm3dLoSp3vECZehdMWX_-dfHl1qo0vbutEjV8qSeUb4ogFhNudCyKvZIYoEnmTnULvYj8c3XIzFGbmTb8QMtSUeZWt5I9LAq6yg3rsEmWIQn0y_47fycM

AVvXsEjDHNTJBPJz8PEb3XgLG1K6xny5xDKFLqHPVM8zNXQcFORpoWL6lv3w_whicEplTTQlmB_3ozR5hvrBm7x1csJZKAG7gHW3yQLDRAZBw0octhZU01VWerKZakHRDaDhcA9xOlUMp5TeWj13tlnBqEamXkpsWuH1HE9XsEjmYGBH9_-Ua6ferQPOYsZKb66j

Looks like when she was there, they had more of an antique vibe, but after she left, the antique vibe remained, but they grew to have more of a fairy tale aura too and they became more elegant and classic

post response:
    [+222][-5]
    original post: here

1. [+102, -24]
    Why did it get better after she left?

2/ [+85, -1]
    I like both before and after she left..?

3. [+83, -1]
    Red Velvet worked with director Jo Woochul who worked alongside with Min Heejin. His synergy was better aligned with Red Velvet's vibe, fitting well with their aura. When Min Heejin was at SM Entertainment, her synergy was actually more compatible with f(x) instead

4. [+78, -2]
    The relief is that Red Velvet wasn't solely dependent on Min Heejin, they had another art director working alongside with her, maybe that's why even after she left, their art direction was still similar yet felt novel too. I feel like this was a win-win situation. After she left, she was able to make NewJeans and RV was able to become more luxurious and mature with their seniority too
    AVvXsEjPkBuG1V_Rq38_D_Y5YMQE_ReL6mV7ZXXR5H8C4q76oKSrExvXoOmx1jmzULrvqKn6p-TeJzm5t_ZWsHo5vUquQ3KUwCVm1TRN6F2qzJyjitHjE0Obj4irkHsf4J1dqfqabx6fStV2FalRf5yqsHomSO_7mD3M91OxODqC0J35s8n-QxvAwzTQRTE9cSSf

5. [+73, -0]
    Jo Woochul is still there, so they'll be fine

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• No creative director is irreplaceable, the company just needs to set out on finding someone that can seamlessly fit in to the role and make it their own while keeping the essence of the group

I don't know the name of Red Velvet's creative director after mhj but I do remember that he used to a fashion stylist or photographer, which showed a lot in Revefest 1&2

Red-Velvet-21.jpgred-velvet.jpeg

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKA

d5d89d5cd0ded673ad05b4ad8aa66c2a681af589.webpdd50b6cd6932ff0d00806a3981d3928185ee94c1.webp889793cb4f55d557baefb7c564c4b94a3129681d.webp

• Not the best photos to compare. Two of them are even from the same comeback/concept.

I'll always prefer their "velvet" side, which didn't come to the forefront until later.

• Give that other dude a company

buahahaha that's legendary comment

:pepe-use-head::thinkerpepe::pepe-annoy::pepe-big-brain:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• 1. [+102, -24]
    Why did it get better after she left?

:pepelove1:

"Be wise, don't be absurd" - Wateris

"Facts speaks volume, not delusional minds" - Wateris

:facepalm:

I’m not rude, I just have the balls to say what everyone else is thinking.

There’s always a wild side to an innocent face.

People say I act like don’t care. It’s not an act.

:flop::thumbs-up::mukbang::groovins::uh-uh-bunny:

• Red Velvet red side died when she left.

Just like their masterful slow rnb songs such as automatic, bad boy, kingdom come etc as well (for the most part...)

Their red side specially took a major toll. Umpah Umpah? Queendom? Birthday? All major flops chart or fandom wise.

She knew how to bring a nice artsy, quirky or gloomy twist to their red side. And it all disapeared when she left.

Only LSM saved RV twice with Psycho and FMR. And when he left, sm birthed 'Chill Kill' :pepe-peek::pepefacepalm: .

They really tried with this one tho :pepe-cringe: . The artwork was great but overall everything else sucked.

And it really makes me wonder if mhj was only in charge of art direction but not also in charge of co-production (as an executive) as well??

Because i just can’t explain the downgeade in concepts and music quality after her departure otherwise. More specifically when it came to the red side and also when LSM didn't produce it himself.

(A concept is not just song teasers. It's also the mv, the costumes, the atmosphere, etc...)

Red Velvet's masterpieces are still Russian Roulette, Red Flavor, Bad Boy, Psycho and FMR. The people in charge of this concepts/songs etc were MHJ and LSM.

When MHJ left, red side died. When LSM left or was not in charge, RV became a parody of it's former self with the abominable Birthday and Chill Kill. A shame truly :peperain: .

• Red Velvet best years musically where when MHJ was with them. I know she just worked on their concepts, but overall their career were at their peak. After while I still liked some of their songs, I still prefer their older stuff more.

Concept wise too.

𝕃𝕚𝕤𝕒 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞 𝔹𝕃𝔸ℂ𝕂ℙ𝕀ℕ𝕂

• She had absolutely nothing to do with their music. And SM birthed the album of the year. :pepe-use-head:

• She had absolutely nothing to do with their music. And SM birthed the album of the year. :pepe-use-head:

Well let me doubt the fact that she had 'nothing' to do with it. She was in charge of their concepts. And when she does something, she likes to have an hand at it as much as possible.

I think as of now, we all know how meticulous, perfectionnist, controlling and immersed she can be with her projects.

Just like we know that mhj cares about her art and her vision more than about money or fame. So maybe she did have a bigger hand at it but didn't take the credits. Because probably she couldn’t.

But she did have great ideas and talent so they let her do the job and took the credits instead. Probably in exchange of other advantages.

Because the difference in quality before and after her is just too big. That's why im doubting this 'nothing' but creative director narrative.

From Russian Roulette to Queendom, From Red Flavor to Umpah Umpah, from Peek a boo to Birthday, there is only one link missing and that's MHJ :thinkerpepe:.

---

Also what's the album of the year?

• do you have recips for that, because pretty sure mhj left in 2018 and power up was released that year so...

Min Heejin left in January 2019

Her last work with Red Velvet was RBB and last SM work was Exo's Loveshot(not 100% sure on this one)

This was the stylist from back then. Worked with her again on V's layover but mainly Krystal's Stylist

External Content www.instagram.com

External Content www.instagram.com

d5d89d5cd0ded673ad05b4ad8aa66c2a681af589.webpdd50b6cd6932ff0d00806a3981d3928185ee94c1.webp889793cb4f55d557baefb7c564c4b94a3129681d.webp

• Chill Kill

A concept and a song are two different things. She was an art director, nothing more.

PS: Lots of people like Queendom.

• Ok my bad but still my argument make sense. Because the the difference between Russian Roulette vs Queendom, Red Flavor vs Umpah Umpah and Peek a boo and Birthday is very very STARK.

(Also to which extent she worked on Power up we don't know.)

• Ok my bad but still my argument make sense. Because the the difference between Russian Roulette vs Queendom, Red Flavor vs Umpah Umpah and Peek a boo and Birthday is very very STARK.

(Also to which extent she worked on Power up we don't know.)

She has the same credits on PU as she does any other RV work. It's very distinctively hers lmao

Peak A Boo?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!