Will 4th gen fans gatekeep 5th gen groups the way 3rd gen fans gatekeeped 4th gen groups?

• And just how 2nd gen fans tried to gatekeep 3rd gen groups?

I've been in the game long enough to have a front seat to this behavior and I know which fandoms are the principal offenders too.

Will 4th gen group fans finally break this cycle of hatred?

• YamaChwan

Changed the title of the thread from “Will 4th gen fans gatekeep 5th gen groups the way 3rd gen fans gatekeeped 4th gen fans?” to “Will 4th gen fans gatekeep 5th gen groups the way 3rd gen fans gatekeeped 4th gen groups?”.
  • I gatekeep Catch The Young all the time.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

just kidding.

• How can there be gatekeeping in the era of internet I'm confused

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I'm dumb, what do you mean by gatekeeping? Gatekeeping what?

Oh, you know the usual.

Disqualifying all their accomplishments because it's less impressive to do so now than it was in the era of their favorite groups. Downgrading the individual talents of the literal entire generation and calling them unskilled models at best. Constant hate campaigns that always somehow seem to catch fire just as the group targeted by said campaigns begins to grow in popularity. In some extreme cases, black oceans and general disrespect towards younger groups at live performances. Writing off all their numbers as either paid for or overinflated by bots and things like Chinese sales.

If I thought more about it, I'm sure I could come up with more examples.

• Well i honestly think that the dynamic of “gens” are starting to fade because more groups debut per gen now AND more groups outlast their own gen.

For instance: through the 3rd gen, 3rd gen groups were actually on top because prominent 2nd gen groups had already started disbanding and having contract issues. Red velvet, BlackPink and Twice aren’t just all still groups, theyre still relevant. BlackPink has still yet to NOT hit #1, Twice is still outselling basically everyone and out touring… its becoming more of an even playing ground

'*•.¸♡ NewJeans ♡¸.•*'

all this time. . . .。・:*˚:✧。

• Oh, you know the usual.

Disqualifying all their accomplishments because it's less impressive to do so now than it was in the era of their favorite groups. Downgrading the individual talents of the literal entire generation and calling them unskilled models at best. Constant hate campaigns that always somehow seem to catch fire just as the group targeted by said campaigns begins to grow in popularity. In some extreme cases, black oceans and general disrespect towards younger groups at live performances. Writing off all their numbers as either paid for or overinflated by bots and things like Chinese sales.

If I thought more about it, I'm sure I could come up with more examples.

But that isn't gatekeeping groups,

Gatekeeping in context of kpop groups is more like when members of a group's fandom say stuff like:

"you're not a true _____ fan if you don't like all of their songs!”

“if you don't think *insert era* is the superior era you're a fake fan"

"you are not a true stan if you didn't stan the group since their debut"

"You stan other groups so you are not a true _____ stan"

• What term would you use to describe the behavior I'm talking about then?

• Didn't you already do a poll where the large majority voted that the biggest accomplishment of a group is touring?

Just be patient. The leading 4th gen groups will start doing their mega tours earlier in their careers than 3rd did.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!