[PC stories/KPOP takes] SURVIVAL SHOWS ARE ONE OF THE FEW HOPES TO SUCCESS IN TODAY'S KPOP ENVIRONMENT AMONGST BIG 4 DOMINATIONS

• AVvXsEgQ_BvWb6MzWsCeucFKj4zaJh_7KpvgDBGFZPbcSNfm1xJE-u2yUnPrjLtM306CC6DWtgPPh5pO-tPUADMYXaOHwFjC7I6FcixlcZuV9ZPilfIhBaOqvE8oCV-jlD9CDuuihy3RXQuiSAK6mv5iuRDXfh5mpuYaBzg1HZqXHZSiFkgORqtDCyl9QPuoHWym=s16000

Saw this opinion somewhere and I believe this is true. People don't care about groups and idols outside of big 4, especially in this day and age where online presence is all big 4 focused. Big 4 idols who are 2 days old into their debut can post an average selfie with 200k likes and retweets saying "MOTHER" whereas a mid-low tier group/idol can have post a song cover made with genuine effort and not even get 2k likes, minimal engagement.

At least on a survival show where you withstand the trauma can get your name out there and still get jobs afterwards. Even if you get the worst evil edit possible, bad press is better than no press at all, and people can recognize you from somewhere.

`.¸,°.. EUNBI ..°,¸.´

bd244e5463f542b0458f07ca2f1ac31e381fb86a.gifv b14ebbb2cafd17a83af16ce034df00d7028a5940.gifv

• Maybe if they make the groups permanent.

IOI did not help.

Wanna One; I do not know what popular groups have former members in their line up (non big 4)

IZ*One, yes they gave us IVE so that is another.

X1, How many groups/solo (non-big 4) became famous out of that show?

I do not know much about how China went, Rocket girls did not last very long, but they are in their 5th season, so something is working there.

Japan, they had 2 boy groups, JO1 is still active I believe, I do not know much about season 2, the girls from season 3 will debut soon.

I think Japan has the better formula if their groups are permanent (correct me if I am wrong)

• I-land traumatized me. I hadn't watched any survival shows before that and I have not watched a survival show since. I've seen that viewership doesn't seem to be what it once was for survival shows, so it seems like the benefits of going on one are decreasing year by year. I could be wrong though.

• IDK...Peak Time i thought was amazing at giving groups exposure, and for the most part, groups got picked up, Vanner got a heall of a deal, but there's still crickets from some of the groups. DKB was doing okay at first now silence, nothing out of BAE173 Took god fuck forever for M.O.N.T's company to finally give them a comeback despite placing 6th. some of the groups are already forgotten about. Despite the soloists forming team 24, the only one who's making any noise is Jongup, the other 3 (heedo, b-joo and gon) you barely hear anything from.

right now build up is going on, and it's all vocalists and yeah, some amazing vocalists getting attention, some quite unexpected like a model, nad some i'm shooketh on why I never paid closer attention to them, will it help them and their respective groups (those who are not soloists, etc) who knows. I don't see people talking about A.C.E OR up10tion right now or knk lol

as for like boys planet, some of them outside of b.p are being noticed, you got evnne you got jay chang, and some others, but for the post part i forget about zb1 half the time. i think in teh moment people will be like omg that person's an idol in a group lemme check em out, but i can't say for sure if those fans stick or not.

tldr: i agree that in the moment a show is going on sure people/groups get attention but afterwards it seems to die down if hte company isn't doing more for the group to keep that hype/momentum going.

• It's kinda true

I'm not that familiar with BGs but look at the GGs now. They are mostly from the Big 4. The 2 that are huge but aren't are IVE and Cube but they are somewhat mid tier. I'VE had 2 popular members from Produce. I won't count Soyeon as a Produce idol since it's not like she gained a lot of fame from it.

Then we have Stayc, which isn't from a big company but has a very well known producer BEP. They did a lot of very famous songs from Sistar and Twice so people are sure to check out the group, which is why I'm 80% certain Teddy's new GG will be big because Teddy is an even bigger name.

Other groups who don't have that, have to get somewhat of a viral moment. Cue 50/50 and H1-Key. 50/50 we all know what went down. H1-Key Rose Blossom is still charting on Melon till this day 1 year from the song release, but their latest songs are not doing well, so a viral song at least from what we see can only get you somewhere. Good thing is that they are booked and busy appearing in many programs even Knowing Bros

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!