Were SNSD’s b sides objectively(or by popular opinion) considered bad?

• ? 23

1. SNSD b sides are amazing (10) 43%
    2. SNSD b sides are average (13) 57%

I saw this opinion being reiterated a few times and now that I think about I don’t really remember people talking about snsd’s b sides all that much. Not as much as say Red Velvet’s.

Is there truth to this? IMO 2nd gen GG’s in general had good TTs but not a catalogue of good songs but that would be my bias talking so I want to hear the broader kpop audience’s opinion on it lol.

• I have to vote average cos like I'm a casual listener to 2nd gen Kpop and have heard a few B Sides from other groups and remember them...but like I can't name a single SNSD B Side I remember or have heard people talk about much.

• Average. Even though SNSD was the first group that introduced me into Kpop, I don't think i remember any B-sides from them. Their B-sides just weren't very captivating nor interesting to me. Most people only ever talked about their title tracks. Like i mean compared to their peers like 2NE1 and f(x) where people often talked about their B-sides, i feel like that's not the case for SNSD

• It depends because SNSD has a massive discography

Pre The Boys (2007-2010) bad. With a very sincere "I hate you" to Genie

(2011-14) better. Not exactly cohesive albums but you could pick out some gems and the good songs started to outnumber the filler

Japanese discography: top tier and everybody knows this

2015-2017 - their best Korean albums imo. Cohesive, matured but still that girly SNSD pop. Lion Heart is their best album

2nd gen in general had the curse of having a lot of chill, purgatory mall music to pad out length. SNSD was around for long enough that their music evolved away from it.

Sometimes what fans choose to praise says a lot about what they aren't praising without meaning to.

Red Velvet (and most other ggs) gets the most praise and hype for their albums when the title track is horrendous or it flops. Not that the albums aren't good but outside of PRV, the albums attached to more successful, praised titles don't get the same hype despite being just as good.

SNSDs Korean discography wasnt terrible but also wasn't the best. Hence why sones focus on the Japanese releases so they can brag about SNSD having the best one (and they're right)

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• I get a sense that somewhere towards the latter half of 2nd gen is when SM albums were a lot more cohesive and memorable.

I'd say the best albums I've listened by SM groups were released during the 3rd generation, even by the 2nd generation

Super Junior, Mamacita (2014)

SNSD, Holiday Night (2017)

SHINee, 1 of 1 (2016)

f(x), 4Walls (2015)

EXO, Universe (2017)

Red Velvet, Perfect Velvet (2017)

NCT (all units) and aespa (obviously) released their best during 4th gen tho

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• Universe is your favorite EXO album? Eye- ok ok I’ll ask about that another day

• Way to Go is the best B-side in kpop history

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Their earlier b-sides were much better.

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

• I've listened to quite a few snsd albums, some of them multiple times, and truthfully I can't remember how most of them even sound like. I do remember liking a few b-sides from lion heart and forever 1 but none of them immediately stood out and I haven't listened to them enough for any to stick.

Now if the conversation was about their Japanese discography their b-sides there were much better.

Taeyeon also has much better b-sides than her own group tbh

ead47f74c3dc14bd46149812f2155b77.jpgImage ⁘ 007833105f6b7733cb4d3f8c61fa19ae.jpg3291b57d2612af71f190a448dba0c51c.jpg

• I've listened to quite a few snsd albums, some of them multiple times, and truthfully I can't remember how most of them even sound like. I do remember liking a few b-sides from lion heart and forever 1 but none of them immediately stood out and I haven't listened to them enough for any to stick.

Now if the conversation was about their Japanese discography their b-sides there were much better.

Taeyeon also has much better b-sides than her own group tbh

no bc fr Taeyeon's solo songs are so much better than SNSD's its actually kinda iconic

• Many tracks were average, others were lacking in terms of production quality. They do have memorable album-cut vocal melodies like:

Back Hug

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Mistake

Promise

Show! Show! Show!

Girlfriend

Boyfriend

Check

Seventeen

Mood Lamp

Closer

• Yeah, SNSD's b-sides overall weren't that good, definitely mediocre. They did have some nice ones as well ofc, Goodbye, Trick, Way To Go comes to mind. Tbh one of the best I can think of isn't SNSD but TTS (Whisper) lol. Considering SNSD have a lot of songs, it's not many memorable b-sides. Though my impression isn't that other GGs (at least at the time) had much better b-sides either?

External Content www.youtube.com

I agree Japanese disco > Korean. Why isn't The Great Escape +You-aholic on Spotify.. Now I feel nostalgic;(

Taeyeon's albums definitely are a whole lot stronger with a lot of memorable b-sides, even a lot that probably would do well if they were singles. SNSD imo is more of a singles artist overall.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!