This upcoming 2023 MAMAs is the most intriguing storyline left in K-Pop this year

• Going back to the Artist of the Year Award.

Little trivia for you.

When was the last time a girl group won that award at the MAMAs?

;judgingpepe:

Time's up! The answer is 2011 when Girls' Generation took home the award. We've gone an entire K-Pop generation without a girl group winning.

My fellow girl group stans, now is the time to come together and root for Mnet not to pull any BS and finally crown a queen.

• In 2011 SNSD had the best selling album of the year I believe. It simply hasn’t happened since then. 🫡👀

• i'm keeping my expectations super low about this because there's just a little too much industry inertia to overcome for NewJeans IMHO

SNSD winning was massive and very much deserved, but sorta made sense within the established 2011 framework (established group, generation-defining songs, established label)

With ADOR's beef and a gigantic time gap since the last gg win, i won't be surprised if it doesn't go their way, such is life

• In 2011 SNSD had the best selling album of the year I believe. It simply hasn’t happened since then. 🫡👀

I don't know why album sales have a heavier weighting than digitals. They should be equal to keep the competition equitable for both girl groups and boy groups.

The judge vote has a higher weighting than either one anyways.

Then I look it at in terms of relativity.

There are other boy groups close to Seventeen/NCT/Straykids in album sales. In fact, I just listed the three.

There is no girl group even close to NJ digitally, globally or in overall album sales this year, according to the chart linked earlier. There isn't even a close second and barely even a distant second.

• i'm keeping my expectations super low about this because there's just a little too much industry inertia to overcome for NewJeans IMHO

SNSD winning was massive and very much deserved, but sorta made sense within the established 2011 framework (established group, generation-defining songs, established label)

With ADOR's beef and a gigantic time gap since the last gg win, i won't be surprised if it doesn't go their way, such is life

I can already feel my rage building at the thought of Mnet being petty and denying NJ once again

:pepe-torch:

• I mean i have my own metrics of what I consider are important for “artist of the year” (touring first for e.g) but as it stands album sales are a big part of winning artist of the year.

Maybe that’ll change this year idk lol

• I can already feel my rage building at the thought of Mnet being petty and denying NJ once again

:pepe-torch:

they ignore them at their own peril.

- award them and people will mostly agree, yeah, NJ had a great year.

- ignore them and people will go "oh hey, what's going on with MAMA :eyes: "

NJ will excel regardless, they are currently frying much bigger fish

• I mean i have my own metrics of what I consider are important for “artist of the year” (touring first for e.g) but as it stands album sales are a big part of winning artist of the year.

You would put touring numbers into your criteria if you were on whatever committee decides on the metrics for AOTY at MAMAs? Interesting.

I would think that would pretty much rule out any up and rising next generation monsters, since it's rare for a group to even tour until they're a year into their career. Usually two at least.

they ignore them at their own peril.

- award them and people will mostly agree, yeah, NJ had a great year.

- ignore them and people will go "oh hey, what's going on with MAMA :eyes: "

NJ will excel regardless, they are currently frying much bigger fish

Literally no shade meant, but I just don't see who else they could give it to at this point without invoking many side eyes from pretty much everyone.

If Jungkook had more time to rack up big numbers, I would actually consider him the biggest challenger, but he won't have the time to do so, and I don't even think his upcoming album will make the cut off, if it's dropping literally in November.

I know the MAMAs turned into a joke years ago, but I'm still absolutely going godzilla if they shun NewJeans after the year they've had.

I will rant on every platform. Every platform.

:pepe-firing:

• Yes up and coming groups don’t deserve to win AROTY over groups that are touring with 1 million attendees and more. Album of the year and SOTY can be won by rookies no issues there.

Seventeen have everything at this point and is most deserving to win the award imo.

Blackpink, Twice are also impressive I haven’t kept track but I suppose SKZ as well? Are all more impressive and deserve to win it over groups that just debuted and haven’t even toured yet.

• If Jungkook had more time to rack up big numbers, I would actually consider him the biggest challenger

I feel like SoTY will either go to NJ, Ive or Jungkook.

He will most like get the full points for the global since he will pass Cupid's stream in a few days. Seven is still gaining 9m daily counter streams. If the judges give him a almost perfect score, he can win the SoTY. :pepe-tea:

• I feel like SoTY will either go to NJ, Ive or Jungkook.

He will most like get the full points for the global since he will pass Cupid's stream in a few days. Seven is still gaining 9m daily counter streams. If the judges give him a almost perfect score, he can win the award. :pepe-tea:

I think SOTY is the easiest one to call ahead of time based purely on the numbers.

Ditto was just too dominant for too long to start the year for any song to come anywhere near it

273788-img-20230831-004016-jpg

Jungkook would need way more time to close that massive gap. IVE is the closest on the predictions, but still a very, very distant second.

Of course the infallible MAMA judges will have have 40% of the power, but just looking at the math above, it should be almost impossible for Ditto not to get SOTY.

We'll see :eyes:

• Do we know for sure youtube is not counted? I never knew that.

• Do we know for sure youtube is not counted? I never knew that.

If it was then BP would've snagged a daesang at least one of the past few years, right?

But I don't know if YT is included in the breakdown for digital or global weighting. Would be nice to have some more transparency around what those numbers are actually pulled from.

• If it was then BP would've snagged a daesang at least one of the past few years, right?

But I don't know if YT is included in the breakdown for digital or global weighting. Would be nice to have some more transparency around what those numbers are actually pulled from.

YG has been beefing with MAMA forever and ever. Lol. This is very old news.

Also I mean they were competing with BTS lol. What I meant was if for global points both YouTube and Spotify could be counted along with Korean digitals.

• YG has been beefing with MAMA forever and ever. Lol. This is very old news.

Also I mean they were competing with BTS lol. What I meant was if for global points both YouTube and Spotify could be counted along with Korean digitals.

Could be Spotify, Youtube, Billboard--hard to say really.

But if it does include YT, it can't be a huge factor, since Cupid has the highest global percentage of any song--that number is definitely filtering primarily from Spotify and probably Billboard.

That's a job for a number cruncher with access to the internal data Mnet definitely isn't sharing.

• Like I said, judges choice atp. :pepe-popcorn:

It'll be interesting. :eyes:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!