Do you think Gidle will strike on its own after the contract runs out?

• There are four famous female producers in KPop.

One is Lee Jieun, who founded and owned her own company but sold it to Kakao.

One is Seo Hyunjoo of Starship, who founded SS with her husband Kim Shidae , sold it to Kakao and now selling her shares out and about to strike anew.

One is Min Heejin of Ador, under Hybe.

and there is Jeon Soyeon of Cube.

==

From the start Soyeon produced Gidle, whose members trust her more than the company which has a lot of shady history.

Now Cube is basically letting her to run all of the girl group division, but it cannot be denied now that Gidle is now bigger than the rest of Cube combined.

If Jeon Soyeon decides to go elsewhere after the contract runs out, it is unlikely that the members will betray her. Given that 3 of 5 members are Chinese (of different nationalities, but), it is possible that a Chinese-affilated company will buy out Gidle when its contract runs out.

Cube is a sinking ship, and Jeon has no ownership of the company. It is likely that even if Gidle re-signs with Cube, Jeon will have her own outfit which has her as the majority shareholder, and Cube cannot touch whatever she does.

Both Lee Jieun and Seo Hyunjoo, who had their own companies, sold out. I don't think Jeon will miss the opportunity to strike out on her own and make her own name and possibly hit jackpots like Lee and Seo.

(Min Heejin is another story I will deal with in another day.)

• on recent talkshow, it was said that even tho she is an executive producer for gidle, her contract are kinda different from the usual producer, since when Yuqi ask if she got paid monthly, Soyeon said no, but she got something else instead.

Tho, I think it would be more easy for her to lead an entire division on cube rather than building everything from scratch.

by using this, she also can make Gidle as a long run artist (like the other senior artist which basically had no definitive comeback). Miyeon and Yuqi can relax a bit and focusing on creating songs for other artist (not just for cube).

• Cube probably lets Soyeon do whatever she wants at this point, there's no reason for her or anyone in Idle to leave Cube...except for money of course. If Cube doesnt increase Idle members' share of profits, they could walk.

But Soyeon and Idle need to be VERY WARY of history and time. It's unkind to Kpop groups in general and female GGs in particular. We've talked about how every GG has hit a wall, some even before their contract expiration dates, at some point the GP stops caring about them and drops them in record time. And i've been racking my age addled brain and i cant come up with one GG who was more successful or as successfl after re-signing with their label than before, like is there any GG in their 8th, 9th or 10th year that even came close to matching their first 7 years?

It's hard to name any GGs that even extended their contracts to begin with and were truly active. RV, Twice, OMG with BP hopefully joining this list. I know MMM fans would say MMM but they aren't an active group to me, they're now a collection of soloists.

BGs also peter out obviously, but there are actually a few examples of some that continue to hit new peaks after 7 years. Seventeen, BTS, Bigbang with their MADE album. And many others still remain active after 7 years, like Monsta X, EXO, Suju, Shinee, etc.

• Because of the funny way Cube is organized Soyeon now has an exclusive right to do whatever she feels like in there, but since she has no ownership that can change anytime

• imo successful groups and artists usually go with the low risk option.

I think she will either form a sub-company under Cube which she will co-own and Cube does the back-office, or Kakao will fund a new company for her, since they are already doing the distribution.

They will stay as a group, but with less group activities but more solo activities. Yuqi and Shuhua would be extremely successful actresses in China.

Edited once, last by K-PL ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!