Am I the only one enjoying Twice's recent music?

• They are really going the Beyonce way, not focusing on one hit song but focusing on overall album quality lately. Title song just happens to be a title song. The gap between streams isn't as big anymore.

• I became a fan of Twice in 2021, shortly after Taste of Love released and Perfect World was what made me stick around. I Can't Stop Me is probably my favorite title track from them, Good At Love might be my favorite B-Side (but it's hard to say definitively because they have so many top tier songs). I turned 30 in December. I like their older songs a lot too, Likey especially, but their recent stuff is great to me. I think if anything, their artistry's grown a LOT stronger as they've come more and more (no pun intended) into the songwriting lane. Their projects feel more cohesive and thematic, more consistent, and I think that's a reflection on how they've grown throughout the years.

For example, people may not like Scientist as a title track but thematically and musically in terms of soundscapes and genre choices, it's what Formula of Love is all about. Same with The Feels, within the context of the album and what it's going for, it fits right in. But the album isn't boxed in with one kind of genre, they try out different styles, and it works. It's a strong body of work that you can listen to from start to finish, and the concept isn't lost on you at all.

Same with Between 1&2, Jeongyeon herself says:

There are total seven tracks in this album, and all tracks sound different from each other. We are exploring different genres such as pop, dance, ballad, and rock, so you can expect a variety of styles in this album. We have incorporated retro vibes into the album, since one of the concepts of the album is Y2K. The tracks that embody the retro concept the most are “Talk that Talk” and “Brave.” Even though the styles are different, the tracks are connected under the theme of “the conversation between ONCE and TWICE,” like how the album title BETWEEN 1&2 implies.

JEONGYEON via Grammy

Going off what she's saying, it seems that they're thinking of the overall concept in mind a lot when putting a project together, and Talk That Talk is a perfect representation of the theme regarding B1&2.

So now, arriving at Ready To Be, Jihyo says:

“Our title track ‘SET ME FREE’ holds the meaning of ‘Let’s break away from everything that binds us and love freely, to our heart’s content.’ I figure that many people will be able to feel another kind of TWICE’s charms. I hope people listen to our song and watch our performance enjoyably.”

Nayeon in another interview says:

"This album is different from “Talk That Talk”, we tried to focus on delivering the performance to encompass this new style so we hope our fans notice this difference in our album preparation."

Ready To Be is an album that's more mature in its execution of topics they've touched on in the past. You see that in full effect with Moonlight Sunrise, and Set Me Free as per tradition further leans into the more bold and confident expression of how they feel. They're no longer the shy cutesy young girls who are too nervous to make a move -- They're grown women that are unafraid to go after what they want, and according to Moonlight Sunrise, they "guarantee they got ya". It's Twice at their most confident.

With lyrics like "Cause you bring out the best of me/All the things I'm ready to be/Yeah, gonna set me, set me, set me free" and references to their previous work, I interpret it as them starting to enter a new phase of their career now. It doesn't mean they'll abandon the things that makes them Twice, but moreso an acknowledgement that they're all much older than when they first started out. Things are naturally going to change. And you can see that's kinda what Nayeon and Jihyo are saying when they're talking about "another kind of Twice's charms" or "encompassing this new style".

All in all though, I think in terms of artists, they've become even better. After all of the trials and tribulations they've gone through and the life experiences they've learned from, it's manifested into what we're seeing now. They still have their cute charms, but it's expressed differently, with more wisdom, confidence and insight compared to before. And I think that's what makes them so compelling.

• I'm glad you made this thread. Ive been feeling crazy this weekend absolutely loving this Set me Free comeback and then signing online and seeing so many comments disappointed in SMF.

I think the instrumental for this song is so addictive and the vocals and rap are so good for me. The choreo is perfect. Idk I'm happy man. :wellr:

• I'm glad you made this thread. Ive been feeling crazy this weekend absolutely loving this Set me Free comeback and then signing online and seeing so many comments disappointed in SMF.

I think the instrumental for this song is so addictive and the vocals and rap are so good for me. The choreo is perfect. Idk I'm happy man. :wellr:

Sameee I am so satisfied with set me free, can't stop listening to it

EXOEXIST - The 7th Album 2023.07.10
    https://i.postimg.cc/TYFk7v3d/letmeinexo-1.gif https://i.postimg.cc/G2XKvZf1/letmeinexo-2.gif

• Longer than my homework :cursing:

:cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:
    ✴✴✴✴✴ KIM JISOO'S HUSBANDO ✴✴✴✴✴
    b7de288879b59732b5115a93d7f259edd464dd39.jpg2320df8ccb8a4af42b9e108fb34e3d8109964aae.jpg2a8fc619d348ef8f6380880604eb8bb8e97b8105.jpg

• I prefer their more mature side we've had the last years, both music wise and image/concept wise.

They're a great group. From their new EP I really like Wallflower. And Talk That Talk was one of 2022's best kpop songs imo. That song is pop perfection :love:

9bed704675346b2296d7f8bf4f7dbb7673cc0412.gifv   40eca24aacd0326eb0b0cba6ff58da5d99f79156.gifv

• Well, their new release is on my playlist, whereas I'd only listened to two previous tracks with their old concept/sound and I didn't care for them. So yeah, I really like Twice's new music, at least this album anyway (I haven't listened to any others).

• I like their music too although I wasn't crazy on Set me Free. I only really like two songs off new album but I do like their last two albums. I do think last two title songs were better.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!