Kakao launches effort to control 40% of SME & HYBE plots response as a bidding war seems underway

• KakaoSMEHYBE.jpg

Well, the SM Entertainment Internal War has taken another turn, as HYBE recently effectively failed to achieve their desired public takeover and Kakao has launched their own attempt in response.

Despite securing what seemed like an important win with Lee Soo Man getting Kakao’s deal shut down, HYBE didn’t win over anybody with its tender offer price.

I wasn’t sure how likely it was that Kakao would go way over the top to convince them, but that now appears to be exactly what they’re doing.

South Korean tech group Kakao launched a 1.25 trillion won ($962 million) offer for K-pop agency SM Entertainment (041510.KQ) on Tuesday, escalating a takeover battle with BTS manager HYBE, whose proposal did not win enough support from SM investors.

They are reportedly offering nearly 25% more.

Well … didn’t see that coming. To be fair, that’s mainly because it seems like this overvalues the stock.

However, while many people didn’t see SME being worth even as much as HYBE offered, apparently the prospect of the significant merger and being a part of the entertainment monopoly/oligarchy provides more value than whatever the company itself is actually worth.

HYBE seems to agree as well, as they are currently plotting a response.

According to reports on March 7, HYBE is considering purchasing stock on the open market at a price of ₩180,000 KRW (about $139 USD) per stock, which is 20% higher than the ₩150,000 KRW (about $116 USD) Kakao is planning on paying per stock. The report states that HYBE plans on securing 25% of SM Entertainment through the public market.

Although many insiders felt it would be difficult for HYBE to counter Kakao’s additional purchase, according to reports, HYBE will be able to muster up enough resources for the acquisition. Worth noting are reports stating that HYBE recently contacted Morgan Stanley as it looks to attract up to a reported ₩1.00 trillion KRW (about $770 million USD) in new investments.

Folks, it’s bidding war time.

Shareholder’s meeting on March 31, which is basically the World Cup final.

source

Fo7nvaAaAAMjdaQ.jpg

• don't know what to think about it

problem that I see here is that Kakao is worth 4 times more than HYBE

so I'm kind of curious where is HYBE trying to get that money from now?

and also will that mean that they will allow for example other company to come and "invest" = buy shares of HYBE just to acquire SM shares?

isn't that kind of like walking on a rope between two blocks?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• don't know what to think about it

problem that I see here is that Kakao is worth 4 times more than HYBE

so I'm kind of curious where is HYBE trying to get that money from now?

and also will that mean that they will allow for example other company to come and "invest" = buy shares of HYBE just to acquire SM shares?

isn't that kind of like walking on a rope between two blocks?

from what I've seen rumoured, they are securing a loan just for those shares.

Which would put them at around 39 percent.

It's a shit show for sure.

• from what I've seen rumoured, they are securing a loan just for those shares.

Which would put them at around 39 percent.

It's a shit show for sure.

shit show and it's risky isn't it?

I mean loans mean losing even more money...

seriously this is so weird...

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hybe should just sell their shares and make 25% profit in 2 months. SM only really have Aespa now, that has the potential to grow. All other groups are older and peaked. JYP or YG/BlackLabel is a better investment for Hybe.

• Hybe should just sell their shares and make 25% profit in 2 months. SM only really have Aespa now, that has the potential to grow. All other groups are older and peaked. JYP or YG/BlackLabel is a better investment for Hybe.

this is probably the easiest money for them, but they not gonna do it :facepalm:

• I just can't understand why HYBE is dragging this out so much, SM doesn't want them to buy them, SM stans don't want them to buy SM, the GP is against them now, and I think even most HYBE stans don't get it either.

SM real profit are likely 2 or 3 times of what's reported and LSM and Chris lee crowd have been squandering it.

Their artists list are people who can make big money for decades while new fandoms are very finicky.

• it seems like other shareholders are not happy with hybe going into so much debt.

There might be another mutiny taking place 🤔

• SM real profit are likely 2 or 3 times of what's reported and LSM and Chris lee crowd have been squandering it.

Their artists list are people who can make big money for decades while new fandoms are very finicky.

This makes sense actually. I was always suprised at SM year end profits. They literally have minimum investments but their idols tour and sell like crazy, emphasis on tour like crazy.:/

• Bigger than kpop industry but they don't half half of kakao money lol :huuh:

Anyway... I wonder how will this affect not only SM idols but Hybe idols as well. I take it that hybe is now in huge debt? No?

Someone will have to work extra hard to pay it off :skull:

We are all getting those lyrics MVs bc no funds left at all

This makes sense actually. I was always suprised at SM year end profits. They literally have minimum investments but their idols tour and sell like crazy, emphasis on tour like crazy.:/

Yup

they skimmed on top of profit and revenue left and right

SM real profit must be through the roof

these people are cutting their own legs at this point to dip their breads into SM butter

• We are getting power point presentation MVs I fear :angryr:

Imagine how much LSM (and his puppets) stole from SM that they, apparently, couldn't affort to debut new rookie group? That's insanity. :eyebrowsr:

• SM and Hybe MVs about to be shot on prepaid cellphones if Hybe goes through with this.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!