BBC To Release Documentary About Idol Industry Mogul "Johnny Kitagawa" And His Alleged Abuse Cases

• BBC Plans Documentary Episode About Idol Industry Mogul Johnny Kitagawa's Alleged Abuse

The BBC is listing the summary and air date of a documentary about Talent Agency Johnny & Associates founder Johnny Kitagawa on its BBC Two channel. The program will debut on March 7 at 9:00 p.m. GMT (4:00 p.m. EST).

The broadcaster describes the program as follows:

Johnny Kitagawa's legendary male-only talent agency trained young boys to become superstars. But for over 50 years, Japan has kept Kitagawa's dark secret – a long history of allegations of sexual abuse, made by boys in his agency. Even after the music mogul's death in 2019 the Japanese media remained largely silent. Why? Journalist Mobeen Azhar explores the suffocating reality of being a J-pop idol, the influence that Kitagawa had on the media and exposes the brutal consequences of turning a blind eye.

Kitagawa passed away in July 2019 due to a subarachnoid hemorrhage (form of stroke). He was 87.

Kitagawa was born in Los Angeles, and his family returned to Japan when he was very young. He later returned to America and spent some of his youth there. He taught English to orphans in the Korean War for the United States Army. Kitagawa returned to Japan again and founded Johnny & Associates in 1962 after establishing the male idol group Johnnys.

Johnny & Associates went on to establish and manage many male idol groups such as SMAP, Arashi, Tokio, KinKi Kids, V6, KAT-TUN, and Hey! Say! JUMP. The members of idol groups under the management of Johnny & Associates are collectively known as "Johnny's."

In addition, Kitagawa was a music producer and stage production director. He continued to produce musicals into his 80s. He held Guinness World Records for having the most No. 1 artists, the most No. 1 singles, and the most concerts produced by an individual.

Fp9qdibaAAEmqsJ?format=jpg&name=large

the fact that we have to wait for a British network to bring attention in mainstream media about the abuses and allegations surrounding Johnny Kitagawa should tell you about the power this man still commands even on dead

someone with better knowledge of it can probably explain this better than me but this guy actually had a monopoly of the Japanese male idol scene, to put it in Kpop terms let's say that all the top tier boy groups were owned by a single company, imagine the power said company and it's president would have? imagine if said person was willing to abuse that power?

thankfully Johnny Kitagawa's influence is diminishing and most of his associates are also old as shit so they are next in line

• Every now and then their victims still show up, old talents admitting the existence of abuse. But still no one is talking about it. Even if he lost the case against the some media company, still no one who reports properly about it. Everyone is playing the three monkeys.

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• Every now and then their victims still show up, old talents admitting the existence of abuse. But still no one is talking about it. Even if he lost the case against the some media company, still no one who reports properly about it. Everyone is playing the three monkeys.

i haven't been following Jpop for that long and i'm not really interested in boy groups either but even then you still heard some of this stuff and is pretty bad

i recall when he died there was a lot of talk about the shady stuff he did but nothing came from it, hopefully the BBC doesn't pull any punches with this report

for example Japanese media keep quiet about Shinzo Abe's ties with the reunification church and it wasn't until when he was killed and people around the world started talking about it that they finally acknowledged all that

• Yeah, I wasn't even into JPOP and knew about it.

It was an open secret. If someone like me, halfway across the world, knew, then how much must the people in Japan know?

And yet, even now, Johnny's are a thing. King & Prince seem like the biggest non-BTS boygroup in Japan right now, and guess who they belong to?

Like, it's crazy to me that people still continued to audition and join them knowing the rumors about Johnny raping young boys.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• because johnny's group get unrivaralled media coverage in japan arashi is pretty much the nations boygroup in japan, they all get high profile acting opptunties because of the connections of johnny's look at the oricon end of year chart they all the best selling artists in physicals, so have the biggest fandom people go on about big 3 and hybe but johnny's monopoly is even more powerful, so media companies want access on the talent

• For the families money and the fact that the company is still Japan's number one entertainment company in terms of boy groups also has a big impact on their decisions. Also, Johnnys used to block their rivals more tightly, like, blocking them from participating in music shows with their own groups. The growth of Kpop companies now has made it a bit difficult for them, but they still keep blocking their old talents.

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• i recall when he died there was a lot of talk about the shady stuff he did but nothing came from it

What I remember

• Some idols cried on TV when this came out and Jnetz disscused online if they either were sad that Johnny had passed away or that they were sad for finally being freed of him
    • Jin Akanishi wrote a song for Johnny in English that made everyone listening to it end up speechless cause the lyrics made people question what was going on between Johnny and him when Jin was still under the company. It ended up to a point where people had very strange thoughts, it even went to people beliving that both would be gay and had been secretly in a strange realationship and that was very weird when you read all those thoughts of different Japanese but also international fans of Jin
    • The website NanteJapan, formerly known as AramaJapan had interviewed a former Johnny's-trainee a bit after Johnny had passed away and they asked him (very randomly) what he knew and thought about Johnny Kitagawa regarding of the scandals Johnny had and that former trainee just said "I don't know. Maybe he was just gay?" ... bruh the former trainee they had interviewed was only 16 at that time so very strange and weird to ask a teenager and also very random to answer this wtf
    • Jnetz constanstantly brought up that all the idols who debuted between the 80s and 90s under Johnny's would be still in therapy to this day because of what Johnny had done to them and that they belived he did only harm everyone back than. However they also belived he changed to be a better person around the time when KAT-TUN and Hey! Say! JUMP had debuted in the 2000s altho some people still claimed that Johnny apparently still would've looked like a creep around Ryosuke Yamada and they also think there would've been something that Johnny did to him but they also think it wasn't as bad as what he did to other idols so thats why nobody of the 2000s and newer groups ever said something bad about Johnny compared to the older groups... its still weird to think there could've been something

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• because johnny's group get unrivaralled media coverage in japan arashi is pretty much the nations boygroup in japan, they all get high profile acting opptunties because of the connections of johnny's look at the oricon end of year chart they all the best selling artists in physicals, so have the biggest fandom people go on about big 3 and hybe but johnny's monopoly is even more powerful, so media companies want access on the talent

For the families money and the fact that the company is still Japan's number one entertainment company in terms of boy groups also has a big impact on their decisions. Also, Johnnys used to block their rivals more tightly, like, blocking them from participating in music shows with their own groups. The growth of Kpop companies now has made it a bit difficult for them, but they still keep blocking their old talents.

None of what you are saying would willing make me join a company where I have a 50% chance of being raped.

But, that's just me.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• have you watched the documentary i have I can not believe how the media police and Japanese society turn a blindeye on johnny's scandal, and the shocking is the ex johnny's jr not hating what happened to them, this is the power johnny's have is crazy

• have you watched the documentary

haven't yet since for now is only available in the UK

but anyone in the UK can watch it since it went out today

Predator: The Secret Scandal of J-Pop
    Mobeen Azhar explores the suffocating reality of being a J-pop idol.
    www.bbc.co.uk

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

i have I can not believe how the media police and Japanese society turn a blindeye on johnny's scandal, and the shocking is the ex johnny's jr not hating what happened to them, this is the power johnny's have is crazy

i don't know if it's mention in the documentary but you can bet there are many members of Japan's elites involved, is the same thing as with Epstein or Weinstein, the later two even had members of the royal family or even future presidents as part of their inner circle of abuse, hopefully this documentary brings some attention to it

• This goes on not just in Japan but everywhere where young boys/girls want to get into the entertainment industry.

Bbc exposing Johnnys when they turned the blind eye on Jimmy Saville….the biggest pedo creep

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!