What's the minimum amount of musical work an artists should do for you to consider music their primary gig?

• you can answer it in regards to kpop or even main stream pop musicians

Over the years there are alot of pop artists who do well musically and build a brand for themselves. But then they use that brand to promote their other projects and put music on the back burner. Acting, perfume and makeup line are among the top activities pop stars branch off too.

I'd say in main stream scene, only Taylor swift have been a full time musician.

So what's the minimum musical activity level for you to consider someone full time musician?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• kpop

two separate releases in a year

don't count pre-release which is dropped month earlier in same way...

so let's say march mini album

october full album

I expect two MV's, two weeks of music show promotions for both songs,

concerts/university/city festivals in Korea

appearance in something like KCON or any concert line up which includes few events in a span of about 1-2 weeks

example:

LOONA's tour in Europe

KARD tour in latin america

STAYC's KCON Tour in 6 US cities

those are minimum to consider artist as an active KPOP artist

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Over the years there are alot of pop artists who do well musically and build a brand for themselves. But then they use that brand to promote their other projects and put music on the back burner. Acting, perfume and makeup line are among the top activities pop stars branch off too.

So what's the minimum musical activity level for you to consider someone full time musician?

You mean projects like Jennie and 'Tamburins'? Why not combining music and 'product placement'? I wondered why Jennie didn't bring a solo song along with her Tamburins clip. The movie was rather well done, why not making a K-Pop music video out of it?

Generally artists can promote what they want. I don't need to buy their products. If there aren't good new songs anymore, because a musician prefers to advertise perfume or fashion, I'll stop buying his/her music.

• You mean projects like Jennie and 'Tamburins'? Why not combining music and 'product placement'? I wondered why Jennie didn't bring a solo song along with her Tamburins clip. The movie was rather well done, why not making a K-Pop music video out of it?

Generally artists can promote what they want. I don't need to buy their products. If there aren't good new songs anymore, because a musician prefers to advertise perfume or fashion, I'll stop buying his/her music.

No I'm talking about how Lady gaga and Ketty perry and other pop artists have their own perfume line

• On K-pop scene, Stray Kids are definitely full time musicians. This year alone they released 2 korean mini albums, 1 japanese mini album and a compilation album of 25 tracks where there are new and remastered songs.

Han said he produced 13 new songs in a span of 2 months this year and the members took their producing equipament with them on touring so they could continue to make music while they were in hotels. All the members write and compose songs consistently too. Yes, the 8 of them.

Their schedules are mostly related to release or promote music, in general.

And I know in K-pop fans' mind, idols need to more than just music, because It's some of them's dreams and goals and It MUST apply to everyone, but Stray Kids members seem happy doing mostly music related stuff.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• At least releasing a mini album a year shows that they are serious about singing and having it as a career.

I think that Exo's DO is more of an actor than a singer individually (I think he prefers acting to singing) but many exols think I'm so wrong and I'mthe one deciding for him yet his solo career started in 2014 and it screams everything Acting and only one mini album as a singer in over 7 years!?!?!

External Content youtu.be

• It's all relative to what their other activities are. For example, even if they only have one outside activity (say, acting on a stage play) if they don't release any music in that time period and performing is all they do all year, then it's hard to say their primary job is being a musician vs. a stage performer.

On the opposite side, they could release tons of music, but if that's only proportionally a tiny fraction of what they're signing their name to, then same deal. Like they could release two full albums in a year, but also have a high end fashion line, an affordable fashion line, makeup, perfume, modeling, etc. and so even though they released a lot of music, they'll still feel primarily like an influencer or business fashionista or a designer (depending on how it's all approached). Kind of thinking of when Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen made their transition from acting to enterpreneurship; like technically, Mary-Kate had about one acting gig a year from 2004-2013 when they both completely retired as actresses, but in that same time period, they also launched multiple designer labels, a shoes collab, a book about being in the fashion industry, a perfume line, an accessories line, I'm probably forgetting stuff... I don't really consider them actresses after 2004, even though they were insanely prolific for 20 years before that.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• They must live music, and constantly engage in music, develop themselves and all their abilities. There will be no sense if you consider it your hobby and devote only a couple of hours.

I can accept that every musician works in their own way and time but I generally agree with allcode; I don’t expect music every year even - they can take their time - but I just want them to be truly engaged in their music and their career as musicians.

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!