[NB] Korean government will give up to 15 million won in funeral expenses for victims of Itaewon tragedy

• source: NB

0000865061_002_20221031171601667.jpg

Article: Government is supporting deaths at Itaewon tragedy with up to 15 million won in funeral expenses

Source: Insight via Instagram

1. [+1,023] But why? They were there to enjoy themselves, why is the government paying for that?

2. [+1,341] Wow... I feel so, so bad for the woman who died in the pastry factory, for the people who died in the typhoon. They're worth less in the eyes of the government than some people who were out to drink and party. I guess we should all be drinking and partying to earn the sympathy of our people and for the government to provide proper support.

3. [+437] Do not do this with our tax money

4. [+324] What is the reason for the government paying for their funerals?

5. [+781] But... why...? It's an unfortunate accident but... why are we subsidizing this? It should've been left at mourning and hurting for them. If anyone should be given money over this, it should be the medical personnel and firefighters who worked hard to help everyone, no...?

6. [+1,098] The money should go to the medical personnel on site

7. [+1,098] Was the woman who died at the pastry factory given any support? What about the people who drowned in the basement parking lot during the typhoon? So only group deaths count for subsidies but not one or two deaths at a time? What kind of standard does this set? I'm not trying to hate, I'm trying to understand what the standards are here.

8. [+128] This is truly an unfortunate and sad accident but I don't understand why tax dollars are being spent on people who were there to party. Why not direct that money to our veterans?

9. [+81] I guess if I'm going to die, I better make sure I was partying.. so I can get some money out of it.. Not like you're ever going to get money if you die diseased or injured, might as well go out partying. What a great world we've become... to get paid upon death for partying.

10. [+61] An accident is an accident... why is our tax money being spent on this????

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
    mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.
    ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

• it's just a funeral expense

Won't really bring back lives lost

A through investigation should follow up

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• they do have a point though...what makes these deaths more important than the other deaths that it requires the government to step in and use taxpayer dollars to cover the funeral costs.

• I feel bad for the friends and families that lost loved ones. Paying for the funerals is the least the corrupt SK governmemt can do. The K netz can Eff off. They are disgusting and make korean people and the country look bad. Can't say I'm surprised though.

• Koreans always seem ultra sensitive over their tax money, reminds me of what they say about refugees on regular basis.

I don't disagree that victims from other incidents should also get compensation but I don't see anything wrong with government spending some money for the victims in this incident no matter the true intentions.

• what make people mad isn't the compensation, but the inconsistency.

if government has policies that pay out relief for disaster then it is right, if not and only for this event then it is pathetic.

giving $15k right now seem like putting a bandage over a bleeding heart, covering their embarrassment for incompetency by waving the dollar signs, and shutting up victim families. aka. you got money didn't you, what are you complaining about. and bolstering their supporters that government had already did their part by paying and decreasing empathy toward victims. what about apology? investigation? waving money BEFORE doing all of that is such a slap to the faces of the victims and society.

• what make people mad isn't the compensation, but the inconsistency.

if government has policies that pay out relief for disaster then it is right, if not and only for this event then it is pathetic.

giving $15k right now seem like putting a bandage over a bleeding heart, covering their embarrassment for incompetency by waving the dollar signs, and shutting up victim families. aka. you got money didn't you, what are you complaining about. and bolstering their supporters that government had already did their part by paying and decreasing empathy toward victims. what about apology? investigation? waving money BEFORE doing all of that is such a slap to the faces of the victims and society.

There is a difference between natural disasters and something like this that was preventable. Hopefully the truth comes out and these K netz stops shielding the government. The SK gov has shown to be corrupt and to disregard public safety if they can make a buck.

• they do have a point though...what makes these deaths more important than the other deaths that it requires the government to step in and use taxpayer dollars to cover the funeral costs.

The easily identifiable difference is that these deaths are a direct result of Government Negligence.

As a Korean myself I do get what is being said. They do have a point. Look at it from a logical standpoint point not emotional like so many people are and it begins to make sense. The typhoon was a natural disaster one the government was responsible for preparing for.

This disaster was human made and entirely preventable. This was a spontaneous event everyone joined in on their own this was not a government sponsored event or anything so technically they have no responsibility for it.

The argument over the street/alleys isn't relevant either

• The easily identifiable difference is that these deaths are a direct result of Government Negligence.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize the itaewon halloween pub crawl was a government sponsored event. This isn't like an organized event where they submit a permit in advance to the local government so they can properly allocate resources in advance.

• The comments are horrible. Listen, there was a lot of crowd control failure by police forces. They should have been better prepared. This is so sad, may the deceased rest peacefully in heaven. So many young lives lost, breaks my heart. After AstroWorld I didn’t think this would happen again anytime soon.

Couldn't agree more. Sadly, they didn't expected higher crowds, so they didn't know to be more prepared, but still. I feel bad about the whole thing.

• Couldn't agree more. Sadly, they didn't expected higher crowds, so they didn't know to be more prepared, but still. I feel bad about the whole thing.

This is a lie that the government perpetuates.

There were reports from Yongsan that went disregarded ahead of the weekend. And previous Halloweens had significantly more people AND crowd control security.

• This is a lie that the government perpetuates.

There were reports from Yongsan that went disregarded ahead of the weekend. And previous Halloweens had significantly more people AND crowd control security.

people keep saying previous halloweens had more people and police presence yet don't provide data to back it up. They said roughly 130,000 people where in Itaewon that night. In 2019, pre-covid, the crowd size was ~96,000.

nyt.jpg

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!