[NB] Korean government will give up to 15 million won in funeral expenses for victims of Itaewon tragedy

• people keep saying previous halloweens had more people and police presence yet don't provide data to back it up. They said roughly 130,000 people where in Itaewon that night. In 2019, pre-covid, the crowd size was ~96,000.

nyt.jpg

Funny you should mention that.

Here's the numbers from 2017

핼러윈 축제 당일 이태원 유동인구 20만 명 ... 대체 무슨 일이 | 중앙일보
    “사람이 너무 많아 일렬로 서서 이동했다”
    www.joongang.co.kr

200,000 people.

And there was a report submitted to Seoul Metro from Yongsan PD about concerns of crowd control that went unanswered.

HOT - 사고 전, 이미 경찰청에 할로윈 안전사고 우려 된다고 보고서 올렸던 용산 경찰서...
    https://img.theqoo.net/wAFjX https://img.theqoo.net/EGVmu https://img.theqoo.net/lMSmt https://img.theqoo.net/hpRGl 용산 경찰서에서 보고서 써서 올렸으나 서울 경찰청에선 묵살함…
    theqoo.net

Because they fully expected a much larger crowd than in 2019 due to covid restrictions being lifted.

• Part of the issue is with the president as he had a decent amount of the police force reassigned to something else. So police to handle the crowd was at a premium, you also have to remember police do alot of other jobs besides law enforcement, they still have an entire city to work on. A event not sponsored by the government or any other entity is pretty much a at your own risk situation. They are not entirely obligated to help with control and with a huge lack of resources because a huge amount was reassigned didn't help the situation at all. This was an unfortunate set of events that lead to this. Had the police who usually handle this had not been reassigned over the week for something else. We wouldn't be here right now the weekend would have been another normal day. The timing for the assignment was off

• Part of the issue is with the president as he had a decent amount of the police force reassigned to something else. So police to handle the crowd was at a premium, you also have to remember police do alot of other jobs besides law enforcement, they still have an entire city to work on. A event not sponsored by the government or any other entity is pretty much a at your own risk situation. They are not entirely obligated to help with control and with a huge lack of resources because a huge amount was reassigned didn't help the situation at all. This was an unfortunate set of events that lead to this. Had the police who usually handle this had not been reassigned over the week for something else. We wouldn't be here right now the weekend would have been another normal day. The timing for the assignment was off

This would hold more water if there was even a modicum of planning put forward. Of the 200 that were supposed to be allotted, only 137 actually were provided. And a vast majority of them were dedicated to plain clothes drug busting. Leavingt 54 identifiable officers to actually be any form of crowd control.

That's comically understaffed. Even compared to last year (Which had 85). Add on the fact that this situation was reported and it's a civic failure no matter how you spin it.

It only looks even more comically inept when the President has a security detail of 700

• This would hold more water if there was even a modicum of planning put forward. Of the 200 that were supposed to be allotted, only 137 actually were provided. And a vast majority of them were dedicated to plain clothes drug busting. Leavingt 54 identifiable officers to actually be any form of crowd control.

That's comically understaffed. Even compared to last year (Which had 85). Add on the fact that this situation was reported and it's a civic failure no matter how you spin it.

It only looks even more comically inept when the President has a security detail of 700

That is exactly what I said when I mentioned that most officers were "reassigned" because he had them go play doll house with him apparently. 85 makes sense because of covid so less people. This year no lockdowns and "pandemic over" being on alot of people's minds being excited to get out and get back to "normal" plus the festivities of drinking and party time further allowed this situation to get out of hand. Like I said Alot of events came together to cause this there was no one single failure that made this happen

• I'm sadden re the comments but I can also emphatize why the K-netizens believe so and I don't think it's because they don't care but noting how inconsistent the government is in providing compensation for different incidents.

Unfortunately, this tragedy went global and many foreign tourists also died so I think that is why the government is enacting this policy. Natural disaster and other situations, get less scrutiny and hence sometimes the victims have trouble getting compensation or help etc.

Having said that I do also hope that this policy isn't an effort to quickly close the incident and not properly address the gaps and causes that led to this sad tragedy etc.

• I'm sadden re the comments but I can also emphatize why the K-netizens believe so and I don't think it's because they don't care but noting how inconsistent the government is in providing compensation for different incidents.

Unfortunately, this tragedy went global and many foreign tourists also died so I think that is why the government is enacting this policy. Natural disaster and other situations, get less scrutiny and hence sometimes the victims have trouble getting compensation or help etc.

Having said that I do also hope that this policy isn't an effort to quickly close the incident and not properly address the gaps and causes that led to this sad tragedy etc.

Likely is done to wash over this. Because a glaring issue that had the biggest contributing factor, lack of Police resources for crowd control.BUT that's not their fault it was the president fault because for some reason our president took most of the cops to go play doll house with them 🤡🤡 . Cause yeah where's my financial compensation when our city turned into a fucking water park?

• Likely is done to wash over this. Because a glaring issue that had the biggest contributing factor, lack of Police resources for crowd control.BUT that's not their fault it was the president fault because for some reason our president took most of the cops to go play doll house with them 🤡🤡 . Cause yeah where's my financial compensation when our city turned into a fucking water park?

I feel you as another victims of the biggest flooding to hit Thailand back in 2011. Damages are in the millions of baht (lost 2 cars and first floor of house sat in dirty water for 3.5 months) but I only received 12,000 THB from the government lol.

• I feel you as another victims of the biggest flooding to hit Thailand back in 2011. Damages are in the millions of baht (lost 2 cars and first floor of house sat in dirty water for 3.5 months) but I only received 12,000 THB from the government lol.

I know Alot of forgieners commenting on this think alot of people are heatless, when in reality they aren't hateful of the people that were at itaewon, the overwhelming majority is angry with the government respone to it. I can still love you be sympathetic and care about you and still be critical of the situation you ended up in. Unlike the flooding which the government is obligated to take care of, this crowding event was entirely preventable.

This would be like you driving down a somewhat poorly lit road but deciding to speed doing 120kph in a 50kph zone and you crash. Yes I'm still feeling for you and sorry etc but part of that accident is still your fault at the end of the day. Does that mean we push the government to roll out the red carpet because you wrapped your shit around a tree? But the guy who fell off a bridge because a guardrail was missing gets zero you see why people get upset over the way its handled?

• That comparison is fucking ridiculous. Crowd Crush is not something any person in it is physically responsible for.

It's far similar to the guard rail than speeding.

Ok since nobody is responsible for it then certain people who allegedly started the push should be innocent then. Because there were calls for them to be charged to the point police are investigating it.

• Ok since nobody is responsible for it then certain people who allegedly started the push should be innocent then. Because there were calls for them to be charged to the point police are investigating it.

You put the example as the victims being comparable to someone speeding in a car and folding into a tree.

I don't know how the fuck you go from that to then positioning a potential person actively causing a crowd crush.

If that's real, how the fuck does your initial comparison work?

Cause in that comparison, the victims are active participants in how they got crushed and not the result of others actions or negligible crowd control.

Shit can't be both ways.

• I don't know why people put so much emphasis on "knetz" comments. A majority of online comments are made by a minority.

I saw similar comments on a Naver article and the demographics were pretty obvious. I'm sure it'd be similar to many of these in the OP

D2eVx22.png

"함부로 말하지 않았으면"...이태원 사고 현장 추모 분위기
    이태원 사고 현장에는 추모 분위기가 일고 있습니다. 많은 상인이 휴업에 동참하고 시민들은 꽃을 바쳤습니다. 현장에 나가 있는 취재기자 연결합니다. 이준엽 기자! 네 서울 이태원 사고 현장에 나와 있습니다. 지금도 사
    n.news.naver.com

The police have already accepted responsibility for this event. Numerous people went to them that night telling them it was urgent and getting dangerous and they did nothing.

I know Alot of forgieners commenting on this think alot of people are heatless, when in reality they aren't hateful of the people that were at itaewon, the overwhelming majority is angry with the government respone to it. I can still love you be sympathetic and care about you and still be critical of the situation you ended up in. Unlike the flooding which the government is obligated to take care of, this crowding event was entirely preventable.

This would be like you driving down a somewhat poorly lit road but deciding to speed doing 120kph in a 50kph zone and you crash. Yes I'm still feeling for you and sorry etc but part of that accident is still your fault at the end of the day. Does that mean we push the government to roll out the red carpet because you wrapped your shit around a tree? But the guy who fell off a bridge because a guardrail was missing gets zero you see why people get upset over the way its handled?

What kind of false equivalence is that - what laws were they breaking?

The police got multiple calls about the situation but did not act hence why they've accepted responsibility; the crowd should never have swelled to that size. As noted above, it was also flagged to Seoul Metro that crowd control could be an issue beforehand and no extra effort was put into policing the flow of traffic.

People in Seoul are definitely used to packed crowds so to an extent will be desensitized to it, so a lot of the people already on all the streets probably don't think too much of crowded streets or didn't have the scope to see the wider circumstances. That's why policing large groups of people is so important, once you're in such a large crowd you cannot fully understand what is happening in front or behind you.

• The blame game was left in the hands of the Police because they had not been able to actively respond to the crowd despite getting 79 emergency calls, starting hours before the incident. Not to mention the dwindling police force since it was allocated to the President. So yes, that's why the government is so involved.

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

Moved the thread from forum Deadzone to forum KPOP.

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!