Do you think there's tension between Yuqi and Shuha?

• Edit: So after talking to everyone who commented (they were lovely) I've kind of changed my mind and come to a conclusion about this whole thing.

1. All Chinese celebrities have to be openly pro CCP, cuz if they're not they are seen as "traitors". It goes beyond money, it's about safety. The same thing applies to all Chinese citizens in China. So I don't really consider Yuqi pro-CCP anymore, I consider her pro not wanting to be targeted. I put myself in her shoes. If I were her would I be brave enough to risk my career and be blacklisted to speak out against China? I think not.
    2. She and Shuha are friends.

But if you have anything to say please still feel free to comment just know my opinion has changed.

:froghype:

I've always wondered this cuz Yuqi is pro-CCP (to my knowledge, if I am wrong on this, and I hope I am, do let me know).

But from what I've seen she is pretty vocal about supporting the one china policy and such stuff. But Shuhua is Taiwanese so....I mean...if I was her I wouldn't be a big fan of Yuqi, and I haven't seen Shuhua post and pro-CCP stuff nor promote in China so.....

Like, wouldn't there naturally be tension? Cuz like Yuqi support views that directly oppose Shuhuas identity/country. Cube is pro china too. (so is most of the world tbh, they've sold their souls for the Chinese yen).

So I always wondered. Now I'm not the morality police, even though I don't agree with Yuqis's views, I'm not here to cancel her or anything. I've outgrown that childish mentality cuz it never actually improves anything. At 24 I realized a lot of my friends would be canceled on the internet, and so would most people. Canceling people on the internet doesn't contribute anything positive to the world nor does it change anything for the better.

So it's not about that. I've just always wondered if they get along or not. If I am wrong please feel free to tell me Neverlands.

• While I've often wondered about their relationship myself, and how well they actually get along off-camera, I haven't seen anything that made me think Yuqi is all that vocal about supporting the CCP. I think she might've posted the same social media propaganda imagery that all other Chinese celebrities post at some point or another, but I haven't seen anything else overtly political from her. Granted, I don't follow them that closely. So is there something I missed?

• She's vocal about it? I mean I wouldn't be surprised ofc if she was pro-CCP. Assuming even that she is vocal about it, they probably don't talk about it with each other.

• anything else overtly political from her.

I mean I would consider that overtly political, she has clearly, publicly, and vocally supported CCP and the One China policy. And I'm not gonna debate if those views are okay or not but like she has them. And Shuha has never posted anything like that even though many idols from Taiwan also support CCP.

• Assuming even that she is vocal about it, they probably don't talk about it with each other.

she has posted on her weibo multiple times. also if I remember correctly one-time KBS called Shuha a Taiwanese member or sth like that. And c fans complained cuz anti china, cube made a statement essentially saying KBS was wrong to call Shuha Taiwanese, and Yuqi "thanked fans for their concern" on Weibo. but Shuha never said anything publicly. Now I might not remember correctly so google it yourself but I'm 90% sure it happened like that.

• All Chinese celebrities post pro-China stuff on weibo/sns and most of these posts are almost identical. I wouldn't really take it to mean that they actually support the actions of their government. It's more that they can't afford not to be publicly supportive if they want to maintain their careers. Also, didn't Tzuyu also apologize and say stuff about one China because otherwise Twice would have risked a ban in China? I am sure she isn't pro-China but probably apologized because JYP didn't want to give up on Chinese money.

许凯 | 陈飞宇

feiyu-chen-feiyu.gif

• All Chinese celebrities post pro-China stuff on weibo/sns and most of these posts are almost identical. I wouldn't really take it to mean that they actually support the actions of their government. It's more that they can't afford not to be publicly supportive if they want to maintain their careers. Also, didn't Tzuyu also apologize and say stuff about one China because otherwise Twice would have risked a ban in China? I am sure she isn't pro-China but probably apologized because JYP didn't want to give up on Chinese money.

Kinda disagree with you on that. Even if they're doing it for money they are still supporting the CCP and as such are pro-CCP. Like they don't get a pass cuz they're doing it for money. No judgment but you can't say they don't support the CCP when they do.

And Shuha surprisingly has never publicly supported the CPP like most Tawinaes idols even though Yuqi and Cube are pro-CCP.

• I mean I would consider that overtly political, she has clearly, publicly, and vocally supported CCP and the One China policy. And I'm not gonna debate if those views are okay or not but like she has them. And Shuha has never posted anything like that even though many idols from Taiwan also support CCP.

It's political, but in the "least effort required" sort of way. It's often speculated that Chinese celebrities have to post those things if they want a career in China, which Yuqi clearly does. I wouldn't really call her "vocal" unless she talks about it elsewhere.

All Chinese celebrities post pro-China stuff on weibo/sns and most of these posts are almost identical. I wouldn't really take it to mean that they actually support the actions of their government. It's more that they can't afford not to be publicly supportive if they want to maintain their careers. Also, didn't Tzuyu also apologize and say stuff about one China because otherwise Twice would have risked a ban in China? I am sure she isn't pro-China but probably apologized because JYP didn't want to give up on Chinese money.

JYP made her apologize... only for Twice to get banned in China anyway. I'm certain she didn't mean any of it. She also seems to have dropped Elkie for Shuhua as her best Chinese-speaking friend ever since the former started displaying her big CCP energy.

• Kinda disagree with you on that. Even if they're doing it for money they are still supporting the CCP and as such are pro-CCP. Like they don't get a pass cuz they're doing it for money. No judgment but you can't say they don't support the CCP when they do.

And Shuha surprisingly has never publicly supported the CPP like most Tawinaes idols even though Yuqi and Cube are pro-CCP.

I am not saying they don't support CCP but China isn't a democracy. The celebs aren't free to choose. This last year an actor was suspected of going to a Japanese shrine and ended up getting banned from the industry completely and him and his family was subject to constant harassment by so called pro-China fans. That's how Chinese entertainment is...the fans are very vicious as well. You don't post on one national holiday and suddenly, you are not being patriotic. Hence, online weibo posts aren't the best measure for deciding if someone is pro-CCP or not.

许凯 | 陈飞宇

feiyu-chen-feiyu.gif

• She also seems to have dropped Elkie for Shuhua as her best Chinese-speaking friend ever since the former started displaying her big CCP energy.

what do you mean? like the stuff with her happened years ago (honestly the fact that china banned them anyway is karma). But like when did she drop elkie? and why drop shuha? she has never openly supported CCP. spill girl spill

• I am not saying they don't support CCP but China isn't a democracy. The celebs aren't free to choose. This last year an actor was suspected of going to a Japanese shrine and ended up getting banned from the industry completely and him and his family was subject to constant harassment by so called pro-China fans. That's how Chinese entertainment is...the fans are very vicious as well. You don't post on one national holiday and suddenly, you are not being patriotic. Hence, online weibo posts aren't the best measure for deciding if someone is pro-CCP or not.

that's a good point.

• what do you mean? like the stuff with her happened years ago (honestly the fact that china banned them anyway is karma). But like when did she drop elkie? and why drop shuha? she has never openly supported CCP. spill girl spill

Her and Elkie stopped posting about each other shortly after she left CLC and started posting Chinese propaganda in order to get a job there.

I said she dropped Elkie for Shuhua, meaning Shuhua is the one she hangs out with now.

• Her and Elkie stopped posting about each other shortly after she left CLC and started posting Chinese propaganda in order to get a job there.

I said she dropped Elkie for Shuhua, meaning Shuhua is the one she hangs out with now.

hmmm, did she post elkie a lot and now posts shuha? cuz i follow twice but i haven't seen anything like that. not trying to say you're wrong. just asking out of curiosity

• Why would Yuqi and Shuhua have ‘tension’ just because their governments have always had political tension?

In the real world, plenty of Chinese and Taiwanese people are still friends, co-workers, and business partners.

Also a good point, I have friends who I disagree with a lot but like..okay I guess how I saw it. It's not just governments. I guess if Shuhua loves Taiwan a lot and Yuqi loves the CCP a lot there might be tension.

Also kinda related but not really but I wanna talk about it and your comment reminded me about it. I'm LGBTQ and I have a friend who posts kinda anti LGBTQ stuff and I like him but it doesn't make me uncomfortable but at the same time I don't wanna end the friendship. I guess I was thinking something like that.

But yeah, they could get along just fine too.

• Yuqi seems to only support the CCP so she can make money in China as a Chinese citizen she has to follow the line or face repercussions.

I think Shuhua is careful to not say anything political, because G-idle makes good money in China, She probably learned from the Tzuyu thing and just stays quiet.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It's political, but in the "least effort required" sort of way. It's often speculated that Chinese celebrities have to post those things if they want a career in China, which Yuqi clearly does. I wouldn't really call her "vocal" unless she talks about it elsewhere.

JYP made her apologize... only for Twice to get banned in China anyway. I'm certain she didn't mean any of it. She also seems to have dropped Elkie for Shuhua as her best Chinese-speaking friend ever since the former started displaying her big CCP energy.

Elkie did leave Korea, I am sure is hard to keep track.

Many of the Chinese speaking girls studied together here and there, not sure how many are best friends or just get along.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Elkie did leave Korea, I am sure is hard to keep track.

Many of the Chinese speaking girls studied together here and there, not sure how many are best friends or just get along.

i was wondering abt this too

• Yuqi seems to only support the CCP so she can make money in China as a Chinese citizen she has to follow the line or face repercussions.

yeah, i have to agree that in order to have a peaceful life in china you do need to be pro ccp. and like i cant judge them cuz...if i was them would i risk it? my career and wellbeing to speak out against china? that comes with a heavy cost. Most of us wouldn't be able to do it.

• One thing this thread reminds me is American-Chinese snowboarder Eileen Gu.

At least Eileen gets a pass from the CCP and she does not have to post pro-CCP things, but she knows she has to stay quiet and not criticize the CCP.

Is a good arraignment, she keeps her mouth shut about China politics and she makes tons of money promoting snow boarding in China.

• They are coworkers so ofc they are cordial with each other. That's how you professionally act. I don't go around beefing with every coworker I don't politically align with.

External Content www.youtube.com

• I mean life in China doesn’t allow for freedom of expression and there are harsh consequences if you if speak against the govt. So I don’t judge any celebrities since they are also citizens.

I see many ppl expecting celebs to do and it just feels wrong because if you strongly believe it - THEN you should take action - don’t expect celebs to do so especially when you haven’t done anything beside posting online. Even more strange if have an opinion without doing your own research to understand the history.

The history between mainland China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan isn’t a simple issue. Different groups within each country have different wants and takes. There’s a long history, power imbalance, and claims for independence. I asked my Chinese relatives re HK - they all agree that HK is part of China but seem more progressive re Taiwan. I asked my friend from Hong Kong re their independence and she said it’ll never happen because HK has always belonged to China except the British colonization phase. And since the British never gave independence to HK but GAVE HJ back to China, independence will never happen without a war. Within her own family, some members want HK to be part of China while others moved to Singapore.

For Taiwan, there was always an indigenous population there before the Chinese and Japanese came, but sadly they are a minority now. All of my Taiwanese friends - all firmly believe that Taiwan should be independent and this stems back to never supporting the communist and they have independent govt etc. Many of them do have family and friend ties or business with mainland too.

• I mean life in China doesn’t allow for freedom of expression and there are harsh consequences if you if speak against the govt. So I don’t judge any celebrities since they are also citizens.

agree, i mean i disagree with the ccp but at the same time like i said before....its what they have to do, i doubt i would try to be a hero if i was in their shoes.

• it doesn't seem like it, but idrk. you don't have to agree with everything- plus i doubt politics is something they discuss anyway, and even if they did they'd probably be mindful of each others' back grounds in order to not offend the other side.

• she has posted on her weibo multiple times. also if I remember correctly one-time KBS called Shuha a Taiwanese member or sth like that. And c fans complained cuz anti china, cube made a statement essentially saying KBS was wrong to call Shuha Taiwanese, and Yuqi "thanked fans for their concern" on Weibo. but Shuha never said anything publicly. Now I might not remember correctly so google it yourself but I'm 90% sure it happened like that.

multiple times? i only remember once years ago, she barely speak about politics in general

Shuhua and Yuqi are good friends and always has been, they look even more closer this days lol

• This person, clearly has no idea about the group, keeps being airy fairy ("oh i think I remembered something") and insinuating stuff, all the while saying "oh just google it". Wish they'd followed their own advice on that one. Ironic.

What a nasty little troll.

Yuqi has posted a few things that almost every Chinese National Celebrity (and a few who aren't, such as Jackson) has. Her only main controversial post was the Hong Kong protests, which was kind of an expected thing by Chinese nationals, but would probably mark as the only post that would paint her as anything "pro-ccp".

Other comments are just celebrating Chinese National Day and that ilk, a little video supporting Korean/Chinese ties (by the Chinese Embassy in Korea) and a few other things. She has gone back to China to have extensive solo schedules, and is expected there again in 2023 for more solo schedules. She has to toe the line somewhat, but even her efforts on Weibo basically consist of the bare minimum at the best of times -

She hasn't even gone anywhere near the level of support some do, and she was harassed over Weibo for not posting anything regarding the recent Nancy Pelosi visit to Taiwan, which she stayed completely silent on.
    She was very careful about the Olympics (which got NingNing in trouble domestically) and basically as much as it is possible for a chinese celebrity avoided commenting unnecessarily about anything like that.

Shuhua is active on Weibo, and has posted about stuff regarding things happening in China, recently the attack on Women that caused outrage a little while back. Shuhua is extremely popular on Weibo and Instagram as someone that fans say stuff to, and get a reaction from her. It's a very popular thing on Weibo in particular, and considered a mark of honor to get a snappy Shuhua comeback.

In their behind the scenes, the two seem very good friends - if you followed either of their Instagrams, you'd see it. Is it all a show act? Of course it's hard to tell, but there's been pics of just the two of them on shopping trips/little vacations etc. That level of intimacy, sharing their time outside of anything official suggests to most they get along quite well.

TLDR - Their good friends, they get along well, Yuqi basically does the bare minimum of Chinese posts to ensure her career (and Idle's, let's be real) in China. Her lack of involvement in Nationalistic stuff, and self-management in China with Cube's lack of comment about Chinese matters in general already led to Yuqi's own Chinese Bar boycotting Idle's I Never Die album.

So you can stop with your vague recollections and leading questions now.

• Maybe OP needs to see Shuhua posting Yuqi's pic 5 times a day on every weekend to get the conclusion that they don't have any political conflicts

• She hasn't even gone anywhere near the level of support some do, and she was harassed over Weibo for not posting anything regarding the recent Nancy Pelosi visit to Taiwan, which she stayed completely silent on.

She wants them dollars. 8)

All joking aside, wasn't she literally on tour in the US as that was happening? Awkward! 8| She would have to be nuts in order to say the sort of things those Chinese fans likely wanted her to say.

• Thanks for clarifying though could have done without the name calling and nastiness. It was unnecessary as I never acted like that towards anyone in this thread. But I guess you're showing your character. Edit: I never said google it. Like never on this thread.

I never said I knew for sure and said several times if I'm wrong let me know. I also agreed that Chinese people in general kind of need to support ccp just so they can live in peace cuz others made valid points about that.

• This thread contains 6 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!