BP can never score a global hit

• Without releasing eng singles, I'm 100% convinced now.

After seeing SD arguably one of the best hip-hop song released in 2022 not going immediately viral & destroying the charts everywhere proves to me that music in Korean will never really transcend the way eng language songs will.

Another great example is HYLT with 10M videos on tiktok which is perplexing to alot,infact I think it's the most used song ever in tiktok history (money only has 2.5M but we all remember how it was embraced) hylt didn't shoot up any chart besides in Asia.

BP can release their best ever song & still won't get it's flowers as long as it's in Korean...

I hope 2023 will be the beginning of BP eng singles,both solo & collab cause that's the natural progression for them now ✔️

• Honestly Kiss and Make Up have a better replay value in radios than Shut Down, and it has korean verses.. I mean, obviously you can't really predict what's going to be a hit or not, but if they really wanted a hit they would've need a more simple song I think? Like Say so or something like that

Except GS, I think songs that did pretty well to the point of being widely accepted by the ww general public were: Kiss and Make Up, My Universe and POP/STAR. One thing that I see these songs are that they are just catchy and dont really rely on a big delivery but are just very good songs and at the same time very ordinary, if it makes sense lol

• Honestly Kiss and Make Up have a better replay value in radios than Shut Down, and it has korean verses.. I mean, obviously you can't really predict what's going to be a hit or not, but if they really wanted a hit they would've need a more simple song I think? Like Say so or something like that

Except GS, I think songs that did pretty well to the point of being widely accepted by the ww general public were: Kiss and Make Up, My Universe and POP/STAR. One thing that I see these songs are that they are just catchy and dont really rely on a big delivery but are just very good songs and at the same time very ordinary, if it makes sense lol

Ehhh not really SD is hip-hop & hip-hop is the #1 genre in the world

Money with it's less impressive lyrics & beats still made a splash,what say SD in full eng with radio airplay??

I think BP can score a global hit with a hip-hop genre song if it's in eng + has radio airplay

Also kiss & make up is a Collab with a popular European artist on her own album so it doesn't count

• Ehhh not really SD is hip-hop & hip-hop is the #1 genre in the world

Money with it's less impressive lyrics & beats still made a splash,what say SD in full eng with radio airplay??

I think BP can score a global hit with a hip-hop genre song if it's in eng + has radio airplay

But that's exactly my point.

I agree Shut Down is good song, especially with you combine the combo visuals+musical approach+lyrics+concept, BUT will the global audience really be able to assimilate all this? No, they'll just focus on the sensory part of the song, that's where simple songs, independently on the genre, excel the most.

Money has less impressive lyrics but the message is clear by both lyrics AND beat, it's about spending money and feeling powerful. The audience is able to connect with that and consume that way more than Shut Down.

How is the general public (global I mean, the ones that don't know shit about kpop or a single word in korea) are going to connect with Shut Down?? What emotion is going to make them listen to that song again? In a party? No. It's a feel good song? No. Is it connect to something they participate like Pop/stars in a gaming community? Also no.

Anyway, these are my observations from also following my faves, but let me just repeat I also firmly believe you can't for sure predict what's going to be a hit or not.

• But that's exactly my point.

I agree Shut Down is good song, especially with you combine the combo visuals+musical approach+lyrics+concept, BUT will the global audience really be able to assimilate all this? No, they'll just focus on the sensory part of the song, that's where simple songs, independently on the genre, excel the most.

Money has less impressive lyrics but the message is clear by both lyrics AND beat, it's about spending money and feeling powerful. The audience is able to connect with that and consume that way more than Shut Down.

How is the general public (global I mean, the ones that don't know shit about kpop or a single word in korea) are going to connect with Shut Down?? What emotion is going to make them listen to that song again? In a party? No. It's a feel good song? No. Is it connect to something they participate like Pop/stars in a gaming community? Also no.

Anyway, these are my observations from also following my faves, but let me just repeat I also firmly believe you can't for sure predict what's going to be a hit or not.

I'm not sure if u just called music listeners globally dumb or picky lol

SD has insane & catchy beats + chorus, really what's holding it back is the language & lack of radio exposure

I mean even the fandom is kinda not giving it their all (ygs fault)

• Where's this energy when their first 2 albums are 50% eng & 50% kor

Infact them not putting out 1 eng single this year is perhaps teddy's biggest mistake lol

so what more do u even want? they already have many bsides in English, rosé solo is all in english, lisa bsdie is all in english

they already go the english songs, u just want another one so it can go viral, chart high and u can brag about it

what if it does nothing of that?

• I'm not sure if u just called music listeners globally dumb or picky lol

None.

I don't know if you're from the US but I'm being realistic when I say outside of english speaking countries people dont care about lyrics or impressive beats, they just care about how they feel when they listen to songs and esp melodies because they don't speak the language.

That's why just a few of hiphop songs that go big in US also go big in the rest of the world.

Anyway that's on me for actually trying to have a discussion lol

• so what more do u even want? they already have many bsides in English, rosé solo is all in english, lisa bsdie is all in english

they already go the english songs, u just want another one so it can go viral, chart high and u can brag about it

what if it does nothing of that?

Album tracks ≠ album singles

Singles always get the most attention for every artist

BP have yet to release a full eng single, even ice cream was not marketed as such + actually had 15% or so Korean lol

• I'm not sure if u just called music listeners globally dumb or picky lol

SD has insane & catchy beats + chorus, really what's holding it back is the language & lack of radio exposure

I mean even the fandom is kinda not giving it their all (ygs fault)

I was thinking internationally shut down will end up outperforming pink venom but now I think PV will do better.

I wonder if the problem is that it's a bit monotone. I like it but I can see why PV may appeal more.

`.¸,°.. EUNBI ..°,¸.´

bd244e5463f542b0458f07ca2f1ac31e381fb86a.gifv b14ebbb2cafd17a83af16ce034df00d7028a5940.gifv

• uhm half of the stuff i listen to on the radio is spanish music nowadays. bad bunny and kali uchis have been playing on repeat. i dont think the problem is "english" but rather, yg is barely trying to promote them in the west.

You cant compare korean to spanish. One is only spoken in 1 country while spanish is a bunch of countries and for u.s in specific there are I believe 80m inhabitants with hispanic ancestry

• None.

I don't know if you're from the US but I'm being realistic when I say outside of english speaking countries people dont care about lyrics or impressive beats, they just care about how they feel when they listen to songs and esp melodies because they don't speak the language.

That's why just a few of hiphop songs that go big in US also go big in the rest of the world.

Anyway that's on me for actually trying to have a discussion lol

Exactly so why acting like SD doesn't fulfill that itch for everyone lol

I think SD can chart quite well in the US with radio airplay, might not be a #1 hit but it'll chart well & it'll do even better in Europe imo

• I was thinking internationally shut down will end up outperforming pink venom but now I think PV will do better.

I wonder if the problem is that it's a bit monotone. I like it but I can see why PV may appeal more.

I also thought so

Even within the fandom despite everyone claiming SD is better,it's not outperforming but that's due to YG fuckery since our fandom is...well split lol

PV doesn't appeal more,it just has pre-release single privilege 😌

• uhm half of the stuff i listen to on the radio is spanish music nowadays. bad bunny and kali uchis have been playing on repeat. i dont think the problem is "english" but rather, yg is barely trying to promote them in the west.

Pretty sure Spanish is the 2nd most used language in the US lol

It's absolutely the Language,even Latin is not getting much airplay due to language barrier

• I think it doesnt... It has a interesting mix but not one that will attract the general public the way How You Like That had, for example (that weird trumpet thing)

HYLT is such a mystery to me lol

It's an Asian hit(mostly Korea & china & SEA too) but it just couldn't crossover anywhere else

It's stats on tiktok are insane & I believe if it was eng,it would have done much much better in the west

• i suppose but i still think shut down or pink venom could blow up if promoted correctly. for example, if i were blackpink, after taylor made that pink venom tiktok, i would have rounded up all their celeb friends and made them do it with them too (kinda like what kpop idols do with other kpop idol for their tiktok dance challenges) and made that it an actual normie tiktok trend.

PV is still a Korean song so it wouldn't go far lol like it's literally stuck at 1.5M radio impressions in the US despite somewhat stability in US Spotify...

Alot of folks still discover music through radio so...

• PV doesn't appeal more,it just has pre-release single privilege

I am not sure how much of the problem is fandom. Because fandom is definitely holding it more than casuals.

Well if it's a case of the first single eating up the second nothing can be done. Both didn't have much gap of release.

Also I wonder if typa girl would be as a single looking at its reception? Is it another wasted opportunity like pretty savage?

`.¸,°.. EUNBI ..°,¸.´

bd244e5463f542b0458f07ca2f1ac31e381fb86a.gifv b14ebbb2cafd17a83af16ce034df00d7028a5940.gifv

• HYLT is such a mystery to me lol

It's an Asian hit(mostly Korea & china & SEA too) but it just couldn't crossover anywhere else

It's stats on tiktok are insane & I believe if it was eng,it would have done much much better in the west

You know what, I've seen HYLT had a good acceptance where I'm from, not on the level of Money but it did great

The beat was very in tone with tiktok challenges and stuff so people used it a lot indepedently of it being korean.

• I am not sure how much of the problem is fandom. Because fandom is definitely holding it more than casuals.

Well if it's a case of the first single eating up the second nothing can be done. Both didn't have much gap of release.

Also I wonder if typa girl would be as a single looking at its reception? Is it another wasted opportunity like pretty savage?

Casuals checked out PV more than SD for sure

SD needs radio airplay which is impossible cause it's Korean...so it'll remain this incredible but lesser popular BP song on every platform

Typa Girl can be a hit but YG are not invested in BP career like that + Interscope has nor reason to push for it since it's not even a Collab lol

• You know what, I've seen HYLT had a good acceptance where I'm from, not on the level of Money but it did great

The beat was very in tone with tiktok challenges and stuff so people used it a lot indepedently of it being korean.

Wonder why it didn't translate to streams on streaming platforms tho

YT is clear, that DP is aestically pleasing to watch so I think everyone enjoyed it lol

• maybe instead of pushing pink venom on the radio, they should use typa girl. i know those tiktok girlies would eat it up and as someone who has the born pink cd, it sounds so good while driving, hard to love was my favorite bside till i started listening to the cd while driving

If only YG gave a shit about BP career lol

They will only focus on typa gyif it really blows up like money

• Casuals checked out PV more than SD for sure

SD needs radio airplay which is impossible cause it's Korean...so it'll remain this incredible but lesser popular BP song on every platform

Typa Girl can be a hit but YG are not invested in BP career like that + Interscope has nor reason to push for it since it's not even a Collab lol

Typa girl being english would have the most benefit on radio. Way more than PV and SD ever will. Tho not sure how much of a hit it would become either.

`.¸,°.. EUNBI ..°,¸.´

• this is a theory i have (with literally no proof to back it up) but i think yg has a really good collab song with a massive a-lister coming soon. i've been trying to figure out why they would release an album with majority english songs and even a rose solo in it and i think it's because they want there to be western-friendly music available when blackpink potentially blows up in the us from that collab. imo, yg seems to want rose to be the soloist who blows up in the west so they included a western friendly solo song of hers. this is all speculation but its the only reasoning i could come up with.

Well they have several if rumors are to be believed

TayPink is potentially the first next month so let's see

• it's really about it. I'm also sure. If they hit no.1 in usa, they'll go global. and usa people are kinda arrogant and only want to listen to songs they understand so it won't happen until they release full English single

• Coldplay are extremely popular in EU so it's a bit like KAMU imo

Butter for some reason fell off much faster than dynamite 🤔

It’s because it didn’t smash as hard as dynamite

But it still smashed. It stole a lot of records dynamite broke in Japan and it’s turning out to be the fastest song to get 500M streaming certification by RIAJ.

My Universe and Butter have their own markets they dominated in. Only looking at Spotify streams and chart butter is bigger than MU in North America and Asia. MU is bigger than butter in South America and Europe. Whiles dynamite literally dominated everywhere except Europe where MU still leads.

• This thread contains 26 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!