[insight] Disney's first 'Black mermaid' movie trailer and reactions

• Hollywood: The Little Mermaid

0004696184_001_20220910155503801.png

0004696184_002_20220910155503826.png

0004696184_003_20220910155503840.png

Article: Disney's first 'Black mermaid' movie trailer and reactions

Source: Insight via Instagram

1. [+451] But still... racism aside, this is a bit..

2. [+408] Jung Ho Yeon would be better suited

3. [+280] This isn't it...

4. [+278] All this PC stuff is ruining so many works ㅋㅋ

5. [+188] Is Jung Ho Yeon going to be the next Disney mermaid

6. [+98] She's a good singer and her acting's great... but this isn't it..

7. [+88] Who's King Triton then? Snoop Dogg?

8. [+66] I don't like this Ariel

9. [+126] Who pressed all the spacebars between her eyes?

10. [+144] It's a Denmark fairy tale with a black princess... This is like having Tom Cruise play Nelson Mandela

11. [+18] Oof, I'd rather have Cha Eunwoo play this role...

12. [+19] Mmm... I'm not being racist... but this is just so different from the image I have of my beloved Ariel ... ㅠㅠㅠ She should at least have big eyes like Ariel ㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜ Ariel... where are you ㅠㅠ

13. [+29] Ariel's always been white skinned with bright red hair to me... or am I being too old fashioned now ㅠㅠ

14. [+8] They should cast Jackie Chan as Sebastian too then

15. [+4] This is not a distortion of history or Denmark. There is no coral in the North Sea so it makes more sense that it takes place closer to the Caribbean, which is why a Black mermaid would make sense

• 15. [+4] This is not a distortion of history or Denmark. There is no coral in the North Sea so it makes more sense that it takes place closer to the Caribbean, which is why a Black mermaid would make sense

possibly the most logical comment in this literal ocean of delusion, and what the fuck is OP's title :miyeon-judging:

• The amount racism. Funny that they don’t seem to realise that the backlash would have been the same if the character was Asian.

She looks beautiful and fits the mermaid look. Love that they kept her hair red-ish

I think people would like it tho

multiple 4th gen idols had long red hair, recent examples are STAYC's Yoon and Kep1er's Xiaoting

so you know people will accept it due to fair/pale skin, big eyes, and red hair

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• If I’m not wrong H.C Andersen got the idea for the story when he was on vacation in Italy. The Mediterranean sea has coast to both Europe and Africa *shrug*

the important part is that the character is executed correctly, and im sure she has the role because she was the best fit for it. its funny to me how these people only cry when its replaced with a poc

• the important part is that the character is executed correctly, and im sure she has the role because she was the best fit for it. its funny to me how these people only cry when its replaced with a poc

Yeah personally I don’t care as long as she does a good job bringing the character to life but people claiming that she can’t be black because of respect for the original story always annoy me cus it’s plain wrong. The story is set in a fairy tale land for one thing, but even if it was set in the real world it would be set in Italy/the mediterranean sea, not Denmark.

• Yeah personally I don’t care as long as she does a good job bringing the character to life but people claiming that she can’t be black because of respect for the original story always annoy me cus it’s plain wrong. The story is set in a fairy tale land for one thing, but even if it was set in the real world it would be set in Italy/the mediterranean sea, not Denmark.

idk man, people are weird

• If I’m not wrong H.C Andersen got the idea for the story when he was on vacation in Italy. The Mediterranean sea has coast to both Europe and Africa *shrug*

People who live in the north of Africa are maghrebi bros, they ain't black *shrug* Wallahi yall "anti racist" people sometimes say the most racist shit ever. Africa doesn't get black until you cross the entire sahara to the south.

• What I'll never understand about Knetz is this whole "historical distortion" stuff.

They did this nonsense with so many of the Korean dramas including Snowdrop.

It's like they don't know the definition of the word drama. These are for entertainment. This isn't a history book. This is a fairy tale. There's no rules that you have to abide by.

It's a work of fiction. People can interpret the story however they want.

I just saw a viral video of kids reacting to seeing a princess/mermaid that looks like them for the first time. I'd say that's more than worth seeing this movie being made.

Not even gonna comment on the blatant racism.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!