Are kpop idols musicians and artists to you?

• OP what do you think of the definition of Musician? It's much different than what an artist is defined to be. So are idols (that don't compose/produce their own music), musicians, rather than artists?

"a composer, conductor, or performer of music"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/musician

Musician: person who writes/performs music

artist: up to debate, generally thought of as somone who creates something.

Someone can say they are a musician and not an artist, that's fine.

• Official Post

Where is the line drawn then? Do they only have to write one song? Some idols don't write a lot, but have a few credits, are the musicians or not?

Idols perform music so they're considered musicians, no? The literal definition of musician is "a composer, conductor or PERFORMER of music"

Artist is different, I guess it's mainly up to interpretation.

• I only consider those who care about their work and have passion for it as musicians or artists. Many in k-pop don't take it as their passion but only do it as work or path to what they really wanna do. So this defination changes for me person to pperson. As for Chen, I consider him as one.

Btw listen to this song. You might not like it but all your faves do because they understand that what this song is about. Peace.

Perfect song for this thread.

Edit : There is nothing wrong being called idol if it doesn't degrade the work they do.

• For some people, the line is drawn at whether the said idol actually CREATED the choreo, music, etc.

Most definitions of an artist describe it as "a person who creates or produces works of art". If the idol didn't create or produce anything, then they won't be considered an 'artist' based on the literal definition.

Musician is different, if the idol is musically talented and perform music, then they can be called musicians. Most idols perform music anyway, so they fit the description.

Is the opposite

Musician is someone who plays a musical instrument. If you sing ,you are a musician. If you only dance, you are a dancer and a performer, but not a musician

But dancing is a form of art, so even if you only dance you still an artist even if not a musician

Creating something was never a requirement for being an artist, if this was the point then most of professional actors and dancers are not artists

• For some people, the line is drawn at whether the said idol actually CREATED the choreo, music, etc.

Most definitions of an artist describe it as "a person who creates or produces works of art". If the idol didn't create or produce anything, then they won't be considered an 'artist' based on the literal definition.

Musician is different, if the idol is musically talented and perform music, then they can be called musicians. Most idols perform music anyway, so they fit the description.

Basically this. Most idols are great performers and musicians. Some, like Jonghyun for example, are also an artist.

However, that doesn't make one more or less talented. Not all idols can be writers or producers, just like not all idols can be main dancers or actors or rappers or whatever. The whole my fave is better than yours because they write music is so dumb. When is the last time a fandom war broke out about western artists regarding who uses more or less writers and producers on their albums?

• For me, a musician is someone knowledgeable in music. In my opinion, only playing an instrument does not make you a musician if you don't know what you're doing. I did 1 year of guitar lessons as a teenager and I learned to play songs, but I was basically repeating a tutorial, I had no understanding of music. I could perform 3-chord songs, but it didn't make me a musician.

An artist, for me, is someone who makes art.

• By definition they are “artist” but they’re not respected or taking seriously (with the exception of a obvious few) because typically most don’t have control over what they do in the grand scheme of things. Also because a lot of them (idols) are quite mediocre.

• Idols are performers. They aren’t true artistes because they don’t CREATE. That’s why Koreans look down on the industry and artistry.

In the kpop bubble most people don’t care if you take part in your music or perform someone else’s work as long it sounds good

But outside of kpop, you know there’s a reason why pop stars and artistes are praised when they write their own works right? You are given more acknowledgement among your peers. In fact it is a drag if you don’t at least take part in your own music. Other artistes won’t respect you much.

And just as myaza said, most of these idols don’t give a wackass about music itself. They are just in for the fame and benefits. Being an idol is just a stepping stone for them to reach stardom and do something else with their career. So I don’t see why they should even be considered (I’m not referring to all kpop acts, just those who barely take part in their music production)

Not my bias spilling

BE5B9EA8-236D-4F9A-833A-7048DD0F4522.jpeg

• Musician: The one who Explores their Art.

If a river has no stream, it is dead.

Same, one who doesn't bother about Experiment taking Inspiration from their Experience for making Epik Art, is not a musician.

Musician doesn't create what the world wants to listen. Musician creates what the world needs to listen. Their Art is not want of World but need.

May be too much heavy words. But I sense musician from these Ethics.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!