Is this why SM has the most stans?

• To me, it’s the consistency. I know if it’s an SM group that I am going to get big powerhouse vocals, layered harmonies and showstopper vocal moments. I know there is going to be a consistent core of r&b running through the music. I love all of those things. This is what got me into Kpop because many of these elements (notably around harmonies and complex song structure) are often missing in contemporary Western r&b.

Even SM groups whose musical styles I don’t care for (looking at you SNSD) still have these underlying qualities.

(I also expect great choreo and strong performance, but this can vary across groups and isn’t as critical to me as the music and vocals.)

As a marketer, I think SM does a cohesive job of delivering on the expectations they build. If you listen to SM songs often, you know exactly when in the song it is building up to a quintessential SM vocal moment and you’re punching the air when they get there. As a consumer, they are delivering on their brand promise. Additionally, whether or not you like the songs, their production quality is always top notch.

I also think they do a good job of overlapping the groups and coordinating interactions. When U-Know or Taeyeon are promoting their latest song, Neos and aespa will show up doing their Tik Tok dance. Doyoung will talk about Suho’s release and Suho will talk about Doyoung’s drama. Kun and Xiaojun and YangYang will cheer on NingNing and do the Next Level Dance while Taeyong dances to Queendom.

They also often seem to genuinely like the music, even in unscripted content and lives or when they think the camera isn’t watching. The Dreamies worship Baekhyun and the Neos are the biggest EXO-Al’s. Jaehyun will do the Red Flavor dance at the drop of the hat. Baekhyun will break out the Kick It dance. Everyone wants to do the Next Level arms.

They’ve been peddling the SM Family schtick for years, long before Kwangya and Naevis, but it works.

When we were having our watch party for the New Year’s SMTOWN show, while waiting for Kai and Neos, we fell for songs from artists we didn’t know like Kangta or got introduced to old favorites we didn’t know like Devil. People who knew Naevis learned about BOA and people who knew SuJu discovered WayV. People knew Kai from SuperM and others knew Hyo as only a DJ.

I’m looking forward to the upcoming SMTOWN show to see not only my faves but the fantastic one off partnerships like Zoo or Taeyeon and Jaehyun or SM Rookies debuting with legendary artists with stars in their eyes. I remember finding an old SMTOWN show where rookie Jaehyun was on stage (awkwardly) with D.O., Taemin and Changmin. By pairing their babies with the hot group of the day and the legends on one stage, they are speaking to multiple segments of fans, which is just good business sense.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• This is how I feel but I'm much lazier. Well said.

I personally would love to see them bring some of that old SMTown summer and winter magic back. Like the Hope song they did, or Dear My family. Like the older stuff when they still had SES, Shinhwa, FTTS etc

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!