TOP 100 KPOP songs of 2021 - 80 - 76

• :akorns::akorns: TOP 100 KPOP SONGS 2021 :akorns::akorns:

by motorp77 :akorns:

taglist (ask in the comments) :

previous episodes :

80 - 76

80. Oh My Girl - Dun Dun Dance

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Dun Dun Dance is the title track of Oh My Girl’s 9th Mini Album “Dear OHMYGIRL”. It’s a funky disco pop song with some city pop influence that tries to be as lighthearted as possible. The song never really goes too hard, preferring a more consistent high note trying to mimic a breeze of fresh air. The song's main selling points are the catchy chorus and the light and lively rhythm that makes you want to dance. Jiho and Seunghee shine with their high notes whereas Mimi is the only outlier in the song with the deeper rap parts. Arin has more cute parts when YooA and Binnie are the main vocals that hype up the song before the chorus.

What I liked :

I really liked how YooA and especially Binnie’s parts were able to entice you to start dancing just before the chorus. The song is extremely refreshing and therefore is easily listenable in many situations. Even though it never goes too hard, the song still brings a lot of energy and you always come out more motivated after listening to it. The slower Arin parts were also cute and nice transitions to let everyone breathe before coming back to a more lively rhythm. The disco elements of the song are very well used as they perfectly capture the dancefloor origins of the genre and do it in their own recognizable OMG way.

What I would change :

I think that the hook is rather weak compared to a lot of their other title tracks. It’s a shame that a massive part of the song was dedicated to this hook when it didn’t hit me fully. I also don’t think that 3 Mimi parts were necessary, it paused the song too long and imo it would have been better without them. I also think that the song could use a more memorable and hard hitting finale, as this ending felt a little plain without the usual epicness. Maybe I wanted a Nonstop 2 too much and it was maybe a little too different for me.

79. Apink - Thank You

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thank You is a digital single released by Apink on April 19th, 2021. The song was released for their 10th year anniversary as a small lighthearted comeback with no live promotion. The song is very simple, supported by soft instrumentals from piano to guitars and drums that always stay behind the voices. The vocals are the main highlights, with Apink’s angelic voices managing to transform this song into a legendary simplistic track.

What I liked :

I love the vocals of Eunji and Bomi, so this song was an incredible pleasure to listen to. I also like how the song always stays faithful to itself, never trying to take another route, staying as cute as possible to the very end. The song also has a build up and a proper ending with high notes to let the listeners truly disconnect when it is finished.

What I would change :

I would use stronger instrumentals, using Apink’s vocals to accompany them and try to make the song shine even more. I think the base build of the song could create a fantastic co title track with more work, as right now it is not designed to be a proper comeback. The song is also so simple that it lacks longevity and becomes repetitive very fast.

78. Monsta X - Rush Hour

Rush Hour is the title track of Monsta X’s 10th Mini Album “NO LIMIT”. With this song, Monsta X return to their musical route, with a more intense and rap heavy track compared to Gambler. The group goes super hard on that one, almost shouting at multiple moments in the music and getting helped by very loud instruments in the background. The song is more centered towards the rap verses lead by Joohoney. The production is more standard this time, with distorted riffs and loud electronic instruments. The overall production is definitely very good and one of the best compared to most of their tracks, though not as ambitious as Gambler.

What I liked :

I really liked the main role Joohoney had during this comeback. I know that it is pretty much the norm with them but this time I think it was particularly fitting. I.M. was imo more relevant and his rap hitted harder than in Gambler, whereas Kihyun was really able to impact the song with his strong high notes. Unfortunately Hyunwon and Minhyuk had smaller roles, though Minhyuk did have some highlights. The production was very hype and I loved it even more than Gambler. The chorus was very memorable imo. The ending was really grandiose which is totally what I expect from them so I was greatly satisfied.

What I would change :

I think Minhyuk could have been even more of a highlight in this song. I’m beginning to get tired of him getting underutilized when his voice perfectly matches the epicness of Monsta X choruses. The song could also be a little more original, though I won’t complain seeing how much I enjoyed the song.

77. Yukika - The Moment

The Moment is a digital single released by Yukika on July 1st, 2021. This time, the chanteuse comebacks with an unexpected collab with the canadian DJ/producer Pat Lock. The track keeps her iconic city pop sound but also incorporates a more club/dance sound from the producer. As always, Yukika prefers continuing with her steady vocals rather than experimenting too much. The song remains as grounded and slow as possible, while still remaining enjoyable and even a little bit “fun”. Choosing “Gradation” as the main hook was really original and as a whole the chorus was quite addicting.

What I liked :

Since her korean debut in 2019, I’ve always been a big fan of Yukika’s city pop. Even with the heavy in vogue use of synth pop, she still had her own very recognizable style. Imo with all her releases she was always able to explore some styles while remaining in the same genre that built her fanbase. This time again she was able to find that little bit of exploration and still delivers on her city pop sound. The vocals were well used, quite monotone but with the background music it never became boring. The production was so good that even without much vocal evolution the sound had clear parts that each had their own charms. The chorus was extremely addicting and fun while the verses were really relaxing. Maybe it’s not the song that you will listen to everyday but still a very strong song with the specific feeling that will make you remember it even in a few years.

What I would change :

I think they could have gone even more clubby and dancy in the chorus, taking more elements from funk or with more vibrant instruments. Even though I love the 2 moods structure of the song, I can’t stop imagining what separating those 2 into 2 full songs would have looked like. Also at the end of the music, the main way that was used to mark the finale was louder background music which is maybe a bit lame. Overall still one of her best works imo and an extremely good song.

76. DKB - All In

All In is the title track of DKB 1st studio album “The dice is cast”. The song is a throwback to Brave Brothers previous works as it takes a more 2nd gen 2000s vibe with the instrumental opening and its melodic hip hop style. It also incorporates more modern schemes like the hard trap rap part in the 2nd verse and changing instrumentals throughout the song. The production was really original, with instruments and synth heavily modified/distorted which were imo a quite nice addition. It’s very clear that Brave Brothers and the boys worked very hard on this music.

What I liked :

It’s been one of the most contentious parts among people who listened to this music, but I really liked how the verses were so different from each other. Of course, it can throw off a bit at first glance but imo after a few listens it starts to kind of make sense, or at least flow well with the music. The chorus was very addicting, and the finale was also kind of epic while staying grounded. The song has extremely good longevity, it is easy to listen to with the slower tempo and melodic chorus though it has so many elements you aren’t getting bored of it. The production is fantastic imo, the ad libs were well placed and the bizarre sounds never gets annoying. Overall a strong production from one of the most legendary producers.

What I would change :

I would probably create a better line to follow with the verses. It was hard to really follow the music with all those rhythmic changes and even though it was original it can be better. The rap part might have gone a little too hard too, like it was a monsta X rap on a slow lover shinee song lol. Also the production was original and I liked the throwback chorus but some verses were quite plain. Still a strong song imo, but not for everyone that's for sure.

Edited 2 times, last by motorp77 ().

• Dun Dun Dance is still top tier.

Rush Hour is still one of my favorite recent titles from MX.

Also, it's been so long since I heard that DKB song. I don't think I appreciated it enough. They are doing some great things with the instrumental (love that piano). And the verses being different is pretty neat.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• Dun Dun Dance is still top tier.

Rush Hour is still one of my favorite recent titles from MX.

Also, it's been so long since I heard that DKB song. I don't think I appreciated it enough. They are doing some great things with the instrumental (love that piano). And the verses being different is pretty neat.

DKB is greatly underappreciated imo, they have some great kind of original songs (if brave brothers can be called original). The instrumental is so unique fr, I can't even recognize what they are using lol

May I be added to the taglist???

of course <3

• could you please add me to your taglist? :pleading:

I definitely agree with selecting Dun dun dance, Rush hour and Yukika's song - all great songs <3 I'll check the rest from your list and previous posts later for sure.

• DKB is greatly underappreciated imo, they have some great kind of original songs (if brave brothers can be called original). The instrumental is so unique fr, I can't even recognize what they are using lol

of course <3

yeahhh <3 . I remember watching them perform and being impressed with some neat choreo moments. (I read that they create their own choreo? That's pretty cool). So with that and interesting music like this, I hope they can get more popular. :finger-heart:

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• Dun Dun Dance was such a surprise delight! OMG really brought a summer bop.

I think DKB's release flew under my radar because I don't remember listening to it before. (Why does Brave Ent suck at promoting?!) It kind of reminds me of Deepened, just in the sense of doing that slower really rich song with good rap well. Brave should do more songs like this. It's something he's good at in particular.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• Dun Dun Dance was such a surprise delight! OMG really brought a summer bop.

I think DKB's release flew under my radar because I don't remember listening to it before. (Why does Brave Ent suck at promoting?!) It kind of reminds me of Deepened, just in the sense of doing that slower really rich song with good rap well. Brave should do more songs like this. It's something he's good at in particular.

i don't think that its that much on brave brothers this time. They bought a lot of views, tried to push them in korea and social medias but it just didn't take. I think that rn the gp isn't ready for bb boy group productions. Rn they are just unlucky imo

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!