How are girl crush song's popular in a growingly misogynistic country like South Korea?

• ? 27

The result is only visible to the participants.

The poll options are my best guess but let me elaborate my confusion more clearly. Disclaimer don't look for shade where there is none unless your a misogynistic incel then I'm definitely shading you.

4th gen girl groups like Aespa, itzy, gidle, everglow, nmixx and lessarafim's songs are more akin to empowerment anthems. I wouldn't term some as girl crush but they oppose the traditional sexy/cute box I see people force gg's into back in the first two to three gen's. Personally looking at how much female idols suffered under those two concepts I'll take girl crush any day. It's an grossly misunderstood umberella term which I'll dedicate another thread for. My apologies if it caused any confusion on what I meant.

Anyway in sk feminism is likened to be a flaw, so much so that Winter and jihyo had gotten heat for using alleged feminist numbers and words. After the election I'm sure you'll are aware of the political tragedy for women. It's not an easy time to be an idol, let alone a woman with her own mind in sk.

Back in the day sending barely legal gg's to the army and have men holler at them seemed to be an achievement, it still happens today but there's heavy backlash from the international side and rightfully so. Seeing 9 muses tear up after one of those must've kicked some sense into a lot of people. However these days outside of incels crying about the lack of sexy concepts and fanservice, songs that promote messages incel's are against are doing numbers example Dalla Dalla, Fearless, Tomboy, next level and so on.

I'm sure all these groups have faced the wrath of misogynistic roaches at some point in their careers but besides that their discography is relatively unscathed and is doing well. How come?

Desbundar

• Go to Best Answer
  • Well woman in Korea are also sick of that misogynist mentality, it's normal they seak for a medium that uplift them and nothing better than music for that

Many new ggs, as well as old ones have a predominantly female fandom

• Girl's Day, Miss A, and other ggs released feminist song way before girlcrush was a thing and yet Korea was even more sexist back then. Popular media rarely actually reflects the state of a country. Think: America and Hollywood. Hollywood is generally more progressive, pro-feminist, pro-diversity, pro-LGBTQ and yet black people are targeted by cops, asian hate crimes, the insane racism in general, r*pe cases are through the roof, many states taking away women rights, LGBTQ hate crimes have been on a rise, don't say gay movement right now, etc. etc. You constantly have people claiming "forced diversity" in tv shows because they don't like to see POC or LGBTQ

Hollywood was supporting gay marriage while the large majority of America still were against it. Kpop is supporting feminist songs while Korea is still riddled with misogyny. Pop culture is always at least 3-5 years ahead on this stuff imo

• hmm even though they are empowering, maybe they are empowering in a safe way? Like they don't push the envelope to the point where men would feel threatened by it if you feel me.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• hmm even though they are empowering, maybe they are empowering in a safe way? Like they don't push the envelope to the point where men would feel threatened by it if you feel me.

This too, generally girlcrush is a pretty safe concept and wouldn't even be seen as feminist or making a statement in more progressive countries. It's just seen as very feminist in comparison to a lot of kpop

• What if a gg references any feminist figure/feminism event in korea in their lyrics, i guess that would cause controversy there

I checked the lyrics for these songs and g idle's song has a line about not being a barbie doll, dalla dalla and fearless talk about being free to do whatever u want, next level is basically lore-based so i dont really see anything much to debate over for the gp there

• What if a gg references any feminist figure/feminism event in korea in their lyrics, i guess that would cause controversy there

I checked the lyrics for these songs and g idle's song has a line about not being a barbie doll, dalla dalla and fearless talk about being free to do whatever u want, next level is basically lore-based so i dont really see anything much to debate over for the gp there

True that.... actually about Tomboy there's another great line...

"Your mom raised you as a prince
    But this is queendom, right?"

There are a few more in the other's but I don't want the thread to derail.

What I'm curious about is the paradox. A scandal broke out over feminist numbers and words enough for jihyo to issue an apology but there isn't much controversy over lyrics especially one of a chart topping song but it very well could be that it's a relatively softer way of putting things.

Desbundar

• the audience who listen to the songs is female. they wont have any problems with the songs. the conservative korean males do not only not listen to kpop in general they dont even know the groups names.

this bg song created some controversity. guess because bg have more male listeners.

• the audience who listen to the songs is female. they wont have any problems with the songs. the conservative korean males do not only not listen to kpop in general they dont even know the groups names.

this bg song created some controversity. guess because bg have more male listeners.

That makes sense. However, I thought female fans dominated both bg and gg fandoms, that would explain the lack of controversy within fandoms

Desbundar

• Most listeners of Kpop are women. Even Korean fanbases of most GGs are majority women, especially the most popular GGs except for Izone. This is why these non cutesy concepts, whether girl crush or teen crush or elegant or high teen, are popular.

FMSWV-UX0AIFKFk.jpg

That's why i find it so funny when BG fans target or make fun of GG stans implying they're all misogynistic, incel uncle fans...when the plain truth of the matter is that these GG fans are more than likely the exact same demo as the BG fans making the accusations lol.

• Many people don't pay attention to lyrics and that causes a lot of deep messages to go unnoticed because its combined with a catchy beat.

Good point. Even if it's an ideology they disagree with, since everyone is loving it I think some people won't have a choice but to simmer down.

In my country there are plenty of songs with misogynistic/disturbing lyrics that make it big because the beat is catchy or there's a trend on Tiktok/Instagram reels.

To think of it music and entertainment is a pretty powerful weapon if it's yielded well :/

Desbundar

• Most listeners of Kpop are women. Even Korean fanbases of most GGs are majority women, especially the most popular GGs except for Izone. This is why these non cutesy concepts, whether girl crush or teen crush or elegant or high teen, are popular.

FMSWV-UX0AIFKFk.jpg

That's why i find it so funny when BG fans target or make fun of GG stans implying they're all misogynistic, incel uncle fans...when the plain truth of the matter is that these GG fans are more than likely the exact same demo as the BG fans making the accusations lol.

True. The few fandoms with many males are all very small fandoms.

Izone doesnt count, all other groups arent successfull and brave girls is the exception that confirms the rule.
    its a fight against non existent enemy. no mysogny to find in a girls only club. XD

FMSWV-UX0AIFKFk.jpg

Why Dreamcatcher never make into list? :peperain:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!