Posts by whippet

They look fine. Not the worst fashion trend by a long shot. And these are stage outfits, not everyday clothes, so going a bit extra to make it eye-catching and extravagant is not a crime. They help girls with smaller busts still be able to wear bikini tops without risking the little fabrics falling out of place and resulting in a wardrobe malfunction situation. It actually looks sort of edgy in a way, but of course this is subjective

She still isn't all that self composed tho. As I said, she gets full credits on some songs, for example Palette, BbiBbi, but then Celebrity and Lilac both have long list of composers.

i mean taylor swift’s songs also have other composers credited alongside her name but no one is gonna claim taylor swift doesn’t write her own stuff just bc she’s not the sole composer

It’s true that iu does market up her self-composing image in recent years (after her pre-2017 hiatus) but it’s not like it’s completely fabricated. she does write many of her songs now with input from other producers too. That’s already a lot more than the majority of korean pop singers can say lol

there's a reason her music style had a very abrupt shift between 2015 and 2017. she's mentioned before that the songs she released during her rookie years were typical idol music enforced on her by her label, while she actually wanted to do sth different. but as an idol she obviously couldn't just do whatever she wanted right out the gate, and it was only when she was an established name with her own creative control did she finally branch out and really go the route she liked with songs she composed, hence her musical switchup after a decade

personally i actually prefer her old stuff to her music style now lol but she's happy with what she's doing now so good for her

they said the same thing about Psy...

But I won't bother to get into it with you

gangnam style’s success had a lot to do with the horse-riding dance and mv of a goofy dude going viral as a meme, not just the song alone. cupid on the other hand is blowing up entirely for the music (just like many tiktok hits nowadays) and not at all for the artist themselves. expecting people to care about fifty fifty the same way they initially did psy just bc they’re both korean is very naive to say the least

be careful, peeps are gonna come for you bc apparently you’re wishing for fifty fifty to become a one hit wonder according to their logic :suure:

Congrats on the hit thread op

Anyway this goes hard yall should stream :flirt-pepe:

External Content youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

do you have the UL counts?

from last hour:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It will post another update in around 5-10 minutes which will mark 24h since spicy’s release and its official uls will be visible ig

Maybe I'm too much wandering on this forum which lead me to think (or hypothesizing) that majority of AKP user had already casting bleak future for them (50/50). I'm actually still wondering for the conclusion why the success of Cupid doesn't propel fifty fifty recognition level compared to what Ditto to Newjeans. I don't want to fall into simple thinking of due of them coming from biggest agency in the market first, but as this discussion going this far, I'm sensing this is not very far from the actual reason.

but fifty fifty’s precarious position is precisely bc they come from a nugu company lol.. big company privilege is a real thing, and nj would be in a much better position than fifty fifty even if they didn’t have a hit song bigger than cupid. we have seen so many cases of nugu companies lacking the power and funds and expertise when they stumble into bagging a hit for their artists, thus failing to build an actual substantial brand recognition and sustain their momentum for future releases, whereas with big companies who have the exact opposite resources, they’d never fumble the bag so bad that their artists fall to nugudom after a hit. Worst case scenario you have twice or itzy for eg, who don’t produce hits anymore but make up for that in other aspects and the groups are more than fine, and their company had a lot to do with that. And jyp’s resources can’t even compare to hybe’s, so nj would be more than fine even if they peaked at debut.

We don’t know what fifty fifty’s company is capable of, so it’s not far fetched to not set expectations too high. Maybe they’ll succeed and become another bts, maybe the won’t. The point is we can’t tell yet, whereas with companies like hybe we’ve actually seen what they can do for their artists. Again, big company privilege. It’s just disingenuous for a certain portion of kpop stans to scream big 4 privilege every chance they get, but when the privilege logically manifests itself and is acknowledged, they say doing that is discrediting the nugus lol

This is prevalent at much in domestic market and replicated en-masse by international market. Majority of K-pop fans will absorb anything that produced by huge fans while going picky if it's come from outside of huge, established company. This fact is almost guaranteeing that no amount of hard work put on any works from small company could thrive against the stamp of name only.

i’d argue it’s much less prevalent in other music markets outside kpop. you will never see western music stans go apeshit when people call despacito a one hit wonder in a thread discussing its achievements bc that’s “discrediting the dude who sings it” or whatever lol, and “company stanning” isn’t really a thing either. sure big music labels have a lot of power and money to manufacture success for their artists, but no one will accuse music fans of “absorbing” anything released by those big companies while being especially critical of those from no name sources. so if you want to criticise kpop stans for caring too much about big companies, that’s fine, but if you can’t tell the distinction when people simply discuss the positions that kpop groups are in, that’s on you and i can’t help you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am not here calling out music industry work dynamics, I am calling out every commenter ever on 50/50 akp threads discrediting their hit song just because they didn't debut under big company.

Thank you for your critical review on how hard their position is this music industry on their Spotify tracking thread. (Won't derail the thread anymore, since there is another thread for that discussion already)

no one is discrediting their hit song in this thread tho. that’s the thing. their song is undeniably a hit, the position of the group however is less obvious, and simply discussing that fact is not “discrediting their hit song”.

you don’t want people to talk about that, ok it’s your right, but the discussion is also not completely off topic either, and trying to police discussions that aren’t tangentially unrelated is never gonna be an easy feat on an open forum lol. even in my case, i did not bring up fifty fifty’s status as a group out of nowhere, i was just replying to a post talking about it first that was of the opposite opinion to mine. are you gonna ask that other user to stop talking about fifty fifty too bc they didn’t discuss the hit song but the group? or would you let them speak bc you don’t disagree with them :melon_think: