TIL IU hasn't composed most of her hit songs

• I saw the news about plagiarism and decided to check the credits of her songs, which I somehow never bothered to check.

I always assumed that she's a some kind of a self made artist given the respect she holds.

But from what I've just found out she has 0 credits in her early hits that put her on the table like Good Day and You&I. Then she gradually starts being credited for writing lyrics and then co composing. And only starting from 2017 she has full composing credits on some songs.

I feel like I've lied to and cheated on but actually nobody ever told this lied to me it was all just my assumption. Feeling dumb :ok-bee:

• there's a reason her music style had a very abrupt shift between 2015 and 2017. she's mentioned before that the songs she released during her rookie years were typical idol music enforced on her by her label, while she actually wanted to do sth different. but as an idol she obviously couldn't just do whatever she wanted right out the gate, and it was only when she was an established name with her own creative control did she finally branch out and really go the route she liked with songs she composed, hence her musical switchup after a decade

personally i actually prefer her old stuff to her music style now lol but she's happy with what she's doing now so good for her

Edited once, last by whippet ().

• when she was an established name with her own creative control did she finally branch out and really go the route she liked with songs she composed, hence her musical switchup after a decade

She still isn't all that self composed tho. As I said, she gets full credits on some songs, for example Palette, BbiBbi, but then Celebrity and Lilac both have long list of composers.

• She still isn't all that self composed tho. As I said, she gets full credits on some songs, for example Palette, BbiBbi, but then Celebrity and Lilac both have long list of composers.

i mean taylor swift’s songs also have other composers credited alongside her name but no one is gonna claim taylor swift doesn’t write her own stuff just bc she’s not the sole composer

It’s true that iu does market up her self-composing image in recent years (after her pre-2017 hiatus) but it’s not like it’s completely fabricated. she does write many of her songs now with input from other producers too. That’s already a lot more than the majority of korean pop singers can say lol

• Huh how is this in anyway secret that she started her career with idol music(=music with little to no creative influence on from the artist)?

Whats always made her stick out from other idols is that she started taking control of her own music in 2014, with Friday and then continued from there and and became even more popular, something few idols if any ever succed in doing. And shes always been mostly known for her lyrics, with almost every hit since friday having her as the sole credit or co-credit for lyrics. Composing have never been her main thing.

Shes still the main producer of every album she has released since chatshire back in 2015. She decides what composers and musicians to work with, what to use and what not to use and changes that should be made, and she writes most if not all of lyrcis by herself. Nothing ever gets made or released without her say so.

Edited once, last by Kreatin ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!