Posts by blueaqua

Ko Ko Bop was 14 in 2017, not 82. And Spring Day was released five months before KKB but only finished one spot ahead of it in a cumulative ranking. That year KKB was the more popular song of the two.

The numbers I mentioned above were melon year end,

So I decided to look at the different aspects of gaon (gaon download and gaon streaming) and it gave me

year end streaming:

SD - #18

Energetic - #49

KKB - #72

Year end download

SD - #13

KKB - #36

Energetic - #61

It would be interesting for gaon to show how KKB was #14 on the cumulative though.

I don’t know how you think KKB was bigger than SD. It makes no sense for a song to have such a huge initial numbers on Gaon but be that low on Melon with almost 6 months of tracking. Melon is known for making their year end based on accumulative daily unique listeners for the year.

I would even have to say that Enegetic was an actual bigger hit than KKB that year, too. It was released like a month after KKB and managed to chart higher on Melon’s YE.

Based on digitals, physicals, and Gallup (#4), BTS was the clear #1 in Korea. Kang Daniel was the biggest male idol that year but it seems like he was more popular as an individual than his own group, Wanna One was still big though. Spring Day did do better than KoKoBop & Energetic on digital charts, and let us not forget DNA being overall bigger than either of the two.

- SD (Feb.) was #13 in 2017 & #21 in 2018

- DNA (Sept.) was #92 in 2017 & #18 in 2018

- Energetic (Aug.) was #59 in 2017 & #39 in 2018

- Beautiful (Nov.) was OUT in 2017 & #36 in 2018

- KKB (Jul.) was #82 in 2017 & OUT in 2018

BTS > Wanna One > EXO

Spring Day is the only new song over 5,000,000 downloads & the 11th song overall to surpass this feat in the last 10+ years.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Celebrity or Traffic light for biggest song of the year in SK?

I would give it to Traffic Light. It has spent 21 weeks in the top 10, #1 on Karaoke for months, and it is still steady af in the top 15 despite the SMTM & Christmas apocalypse. Celebrity managed to spend 21 weeks in the top 10 with the help of her album release because the song gained 200k+ ULs on the day of the album drop (helped with a few more weeks in the top 10). Celebrity will surely get a boost when she drops her upcoming album, as well as the rest of her other songs.

LGO will move like ON, I'm not expecting a certification for it until late next year honestly.

Yeah, LGO will take a long time. It is definitely BTS' smallest hit since 'Fire' in 2016. The only other songs I can see *possibly* surpass 100M streams are Fire & Mikrokosmos by looking at their unique listeners + longevity.

Spring Day.. my personal favorite of BTS. Nice.

Charlie Puth is so popular in S.K, didn't know that.

Yeah, he was mentioned as one of South Korea's most loved pop acts :teeheek:

We Don't Talk Anymore should be "certified" for 100M later on since it has already surpassed the 2.5M downloads back in late 2019. Charlie might actually surpass Maroon 5 as the foreign act with the most songs over 100M streams on Gaon (tied with 3).

SLR being certified either for December or January is wild considering BH did nothing for the collab beyond the tiktok and lyric video.

Yeah, SLR was totally unexpected. The Korean general public seems to really like BTS' bright / pop songs. Heck, that is usually the case for majority of international countries, too, lol. Along with Butter & SLR, PTD should be certified but idk about My Universe, and LGO will take a long time if it does get certified. So by the end of 2022, BTS should have at least 11 songs with 100M+ streams on Gaon; only 2nd to IU.

Not that it matters:

All updates (21 new updates for the last 1 year & 9 months):

Acts with the Most Songs Over 100M Streams:
    1. IU - 15 (+2)
    2. TWICE - 10

3. BOL4 - 9

4. BTS - 8 (soon +2 with butter & slr)

5. Blackpink - 7 (+1)

Next week is the Download update for songs.

BWL is close to 300M streams and I wouldn't be surprised if Dynamite joins the club later in the future, as well. Spring Day should surpass 400M streams later on, along with TTN & EDEM (very soon).

A few idol group hits are close to 200M streams: Love Scenario, D4, Cheer Up, Missing You, DNA, Red Flavor, & a few more. Will probably take a while for some of them to get "certified".

yup all are extremely close in popularity! During concerts here in the US, the response the rap-line gets is absolutely INSANE. For the concert I went to, I felt like I went temporarily deaf from the high-pitched screams every time Yoongi, Namjoon, or Hobi popped up on the screen! Ppl who went to the LA concerts said the same too.

My non-army friend (only knew Dyna and Butter) that attended the concerts with me was honestly surprised by how supportive everyone was with every single member when they appeared on the screen or did their speeches. She didn’t know who the most popular members were and thought Yoongi was the most popular after the end of the 3rd concert. ARMY are very supportive with all 7 members.

This just tells me BTS are the biggest artist in Japan in 2021. BTS : A Korean Boy Group.

Has there ever been any instance when a foreign artist was bigger than or as big as local artists in Japan blueaqua? BoA? Mariah Carey? Michael Jackson? These 3 names come to my mind....

There are a couple of massive foreign acts in Japan, such as Justin Bieber (biggest western streaming act there), Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Avril Lavigne, etc…, but Mariah Carey & Michael Jackson were hands down the biggest among western / foreign acts. However, neither of the two topped the main Japanese charts during their prime years.

I believe this is the first time where a foreign artist really came out as the top act, or at least in recent years. BTS probably won’t be #1 on Oricon annual revenue chart, sadly, though due to the lack of physical album & single releases compared to Snowman (2-3 physical single releases & full album).

Wait how is dynamite the #2 song of japan in 2021 when it was a 2020 release. Or am I remembering that wrong.

Dynamite quite literally blew up in Japan. The biggest foreign hit since Shape of You (2017) and it is the 5th longest charting song ever in the top 10 on the Billboard Japan Hot 100 with 56(?) weeks, the previous record for a foreign song was SOY with 15 weeks. Despite being released over a year ago, Dynamite is still in the top 10 on digital platforms in Japan.

It is amusing how the top 2 songs on the 2021 year-end charts (Dry Flower & Dynamite) never peaked at #1 on weekly because they kept getting blocked. By the way, DF & Dyna are arguably the top 2 biggest hits released in 2020 in Japan.