Posts by blueaqua

I believe her Palette album was her biggest era. Around half of the songs from that album have been certified digitally. TTN, probably her biggest hit ever, was a single from that album.

This infotainment video says H.O.T generated 500 billion won in revenue in China, which converts to over $430 million USD so...

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Doesn’t really compare to TVXQ who has been the biggest money makers for SM for nearly 15 years thanks to Japan due to touring and sales. Didn’t they make like $200M in just 1 year from Japanese touring and sales?

Anyone denying BTS is #1 in Japan is delusional, Im curious which group after BTS, Twice, MMo, and BP will get a digital cert - SVT seems most likely or maybe a 4th gen group tbh

Celebrity by IU has been doing well on Japan TikTok so maybe her? Her charting on some Japanese digital platforms has gotten better after collaborating with Yoongi with EIGHT. Rollin charted okay for a Kpop song so I would not be surprised if it gets silver in a year from now.

ITZY should get Dalla Dalla, Not Shy, and Wannabe certified silver later. Mafia didn’t do too hot.

It is always the same pressed user coming to a thread to discredit BTS’s success in Japan. Putting anyone besides BTS at #1 is a bit delusional considering how charts and viral Japanese videos of Dynamite/Butter/PTD support that BTS is definitely the BIGGEST foreign act in Japan. There was a list of the most covered topics on Japanese entertainment TV and BTS came in at #2 with “BTS domination” for the first half of this year. The only foreign act to be listed in top 10 iirc. #1 most covered was one of the biggest marriage announcements between two famous Japanese celebrities lol.

It helps how countless of very well-known Japanese celebrities have mentioned and covered BTS this past year alone thanks to Dynamite and Butter. And, BTS currently have 3 songs in the top 20 most used sounds on Japan TikTok, according to Japan Billboard. #2 being Butter, #5 being PTD, and #16 (?) being Dynamite. Dynamite has been in top 20 for nearly a year and spent nearly 10 weeks at #1 last year.

Honestly the problem is some of you don’t even live in the US and want to use industry articles and charting as evidence of BTS reach. For us that actually live in the US, we know that our friends (22/23 exposed to kpop since i talk about it, watched BTS new-years performance, and one listened to Vixx on spotify) they have no idea what Butter is. Yeah mainstream media is definitely giving them attention, but all of my friends/family have no idea who they are or have never heard Butter (or atleast couldn’t hum or sing a line)

Ofcourse media outlets are gonna write about BTS because they know they will get clicks no matter what, but anybody thinking BTS is a household name in the US is straight delusional.

I don't get why it is almost always the people that usually has only negative things to say about BTS on forums always say that they're not known or popular here in the states. Trying to say that no one knows who they are or their music here is a bit of reach considering how they have nearly 2B on-demand audio streams from the USA alone in the first six months of the year + one of the top 30(?) most streamed acts only after like 20 rap/hiphop acts + Taylor/Ariana/Olivia so far of 2021 , as well as 2M+ monthly listeners from Spotify alone in the USA. I HAVE met people from all ages that have heard of their name from various ways and have heard at least one or two songs to see the hype about them.

Not EVERY single person in the states will know every popular act in the states or their songs. To be honest, I can't for the life of me hum 90% of the "popular" songs right now from the "popular" acts like Olivia, Billie, Megan The Stallion, Drake, Taylor Swift's recent releases, etc.... But just because I do not know these popular songs or songs from these acts doesn't people they are not known or popular with others from the "public".

Also, I find these USA "GP" topics quite amusing since this country is massive with different popular music genres consumed like Reggaeton, Country, Pop, Rock, Jazz, Hip-Hop/Rap, etc... even these "mainstream" acts aren't actually really popular with EVERY ONE here in the states and may not even know some of these popular songs from them. My parents can't even name a single Beyonce/Rihanna/Ariana Grande song but they do know songs from Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, etc... and they're only in their mid-late 40s lol.

EX: Bad Bunny is the only Spanish-speaking act in the top 35 most streamed acts here in the states so far in 2021. However, majority of my white friends can't name any song besides MIA/I Like It, which are collabs with Drake & Cardi B, of his. That is probably the case for most of the non-hispanic white population (50%+) in general. These people have heard about him but they don't know most of his popular songs. Would you say that he isn't popular in the states still?

tik tok promo because now making some tik tok are a kind of promo, they did 5 tik tok since NL was release and you call this promo ? '-'

without mentionning that they only had 3 music show performance and 1 ep in Knowing brothers , it's the bare minimum for any group in term of promo '-'

Those are still a form of promo. Music shows also help girl groups a lot as seen this past year or so. I have noticed that every performance they have done have trended, which includes other performances they recorded for Korean channels like Studio Choom . SM acts reacting or dancing to their song/challenge was a huge boost, too. Were they as pushed as Brave Girls? Absolutely not, since most groups don’t do as heavy promo as BG did from March-May, but Aespa still did enough promo that helped the song rise to its current state.

Also, domestic promo isn’t the same as promo aimed for international markets. Domestic promo has way more affect on unique listeners than international promo since the GP is more easily accessed to them.

isnt there a criteria like an album needs to have at least 6 songs to be nominated?

does that not leave out both exo and bts out of competition?

edit- I am not sure about it yet, someone correct me if wrong

I checked and it seems single albums are eligible for the win. In 2015, BIGBANG released 4 single albums and 'M' was nominated for the quarter album award. Their single album had 2 singles + 2 instrumentals.

So if the rules are the same and if the Butter single somehow sells more than other albums released in 3rd quarter, then BTS could win.

Dynamite surpassed 300M+ streams on Billboard and Oricon weeks ago while MYH is still in the 200M's.

Dynamite has 409K+ downloads? I have been tracking them weekly ever since release. Why would I used YouTube to talk about downloads? lmao, what. We all. know downloads are heavily GP driven.

Name the several tracks then. Because the only songs that were bigger that were release in 2020 than Dynamite are I LOVE & Homura (front loaded because of KNY). Dry Flower is doing around the same as Dynamite based on their weekly downloads and streams. Dynamite is easily one of the top 5/10 songs from last year, regardless of what you say.

Dude, not a single BTS track have performed as well as Dynamite in Japan. Even their tracks after Dynamite (excluding Butter) have yet to pull its numbers. I understand you're a huge ONCE and all, but downplaying Dyna's success as mostly fandom driven is not it. lol.

You can’t use streams at a metric in Japan for older songs. Streaming is still a relatively new thing. Which is why new songs for BTS/Nizi are gonna break records every time with a new song

I know which is why I also included the downloads part. Make You Happy charted out of top 30 of the Oricon downloads chart at around ~310K downloads. TT only got 100K downloads and charted out before it got its certification. Dynamite is still charting in top 30 and has ~410K downloads.

Downloads were higher in 2016-2017 when TT was at its peak than it is now. The fact Dynamite has 4x's its downloads in just 9 months just shows how much bigger it is, same thing with MYH.

Actually, Dynamite managed to hold in the 50+ for a quite time. The point is that the Japanese songs of the two groups also fail to make it to the list. This actually says a lot about the GP.

That is to be expected. Foreign acts with Japanese (versions) songs rarely make it top 20 on Oricon Karaoke, even their own idol groups rarely make it in. The top 20 is usually dominated by hits songs from soloists, bands, or non-idol groups.

NiziU's song isn't as big as Dynamite, even comparatively. Dynamite nearly has double the amount of streams and downloads (harder for fans to "manipulate"). It's longevity isn't as big either.