Posts by blueaqua

Nah, NL has yet to go any where near Gee’s overall impact in Korea, Japan, SEA, and Hallyu-wave in general. Is it a hit? Yeah, but mostly just in Korea (which isn’t bad at all, but Gee was way bigger outside of Korea). It is definitely the biggest hit so far for 4th generation groups but I wouldn’t even say it is bigger than some of the biggest hits that did well in only Korea and/or internationally from 2nd generation and 3rd generation.

Edit: this is my response based on what I read throughout the entire thread.

1. Blood Sweat Tears - I remember it was such a huge moment for BTS and in Kpop overall when it got released. Not only did it do so well internationally (charts and among non-fans), but it was also a big hit in Korea. Even now, BST is always mentioned as one of BTS’ most memorable and popular title tracks.

2 or 3. Boombayah - Although it didn’t do well in Korea, because Whistle took all of the attention, it did get a lot of attention among Kpop fans. It gained momentum on YouTube after 2018/2019 after the success of D4 across SEA. Boombayah is definitely up there for the biggest hits internationally in the Kpop community.

2 or 3. TT - Not only was it a hit in Korea, but it was pretty popular among international Kpop fans and it was the song that gained momentum for TWICE in Japan (biggest foreign market for Kpop).

Ahhh, Dynamite really brought a lot of new exposure with the Japanese general public to BTS this past year. :froghype:

I was looking at Japan’s official Top 20 most streamed songs of the past year on YouTube and BWL managed to be #18 with 100M+ streams. Their Japanese performance for BWL also gained quite a lot of new views in recent months. I knew the song was doing well there once the Japanese version of BWL managed to be certified for RIAJ silver (30M+) and the Korean version RIAJ platinum (100M+), as well as the song rising a lot on all major digital platforms (top 50) and re-entering the Japan HOT 100; even DNA got revitalized :pepe-sad:

You know what you remind me of vanessa from the old forum. Just putting it out there.

Anyways the problem is people are nitpicking these things and I am seeing a pattern here on akp. BTS downplaying seems to happen mainly during breaks between 2 comebacks. I guess this is because they know whenever BTS makes a comeback, they won't get a chance to say this type of shit.

I remind you of that user because I AM her, lmao:peperun::pepe-joy:

Yeah, BTS is basically an established digital monster at this point if Korean people on forums or on YouTube also say that "so and so is doing sajaegi if they blocked BTS" or that they have many hits [that they can't decide which is their biggest one]. BTS is an act that has been #1 on the artist Gallup and industry surveys for 3 consecutive years and yet, people on this website think they're incapable of producing actual hits or have good digitals. :pepe-life-support:

Queen,shutting up bullshit with facts. :pepe-toast:

And then they wonder why Armys are updated with numbers cause otherwise people like some users on this thread will run away with typical baseless narratives to downplay BTS just cause they need to feel secure about their faves relative to BTS by picking and choosing stats. Yes we know this overwhelming dominance by BTS, a boy group, is a very bitter pill for many to swallow.

I have been following charts for years and know good digitals when I see it. Some of these users that reply on the AKP digitals thread should be kicked/banned for their biased views against other acts. I have noticed some of the active users post things on purpose to get others to reply and idgi lol.

PAK incoming. Justin really came out of no where with 3 hits this year in Korea :pepe-hehe:

Also, TikTok is really controlling the hits in Korea. The songs that really benefitted from TikTok: Any Song, ASAP, Next Level, Peaches, STAY, Dumb Dumb, etc..

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If you look closed closer to the chart run of Butter, the song started high but lost momentum after few weeks atop the chart. I was in another thread put out said that if Butter can chart for 15 weeks, it will be very successful. However, it is not, take into the consideration that The current Melon chart is still slow and the users number hasn’t been rising back yet.

Dynamite is abnormal, but BTS chart performance in top 10 melon (minus Dynamite) is not good compared with other digital monsters. The gap between Dynamite and other BTS titles/ singles chart performance may lead to confusion about BTS digital, Dynamite doing the number 3 time their second best single.

Why does it have to be 15+ weeks for a song to be considered successful...?

Let's look at the stats of some of the most successful digital monsters of S.K.

IU has 57 entries in the top 10 on Melon, out of those, only 9 songs did 10+ weeks (3 with 15+ weeks, 2 of them released during the 24Hits reform). The biggest hit of her career (TTN) only did 12 weeks (#1 for 2 weeks) in the top 10 but did 120+ weeks in top 100.

BIGBANG has 37 entries, out of those, 8 songs did 10+ weeks (2 with 15+ weeks).

Among third generation idol groups, BTS (13), TWICE (13), and BP (8) are the only groups with 4 songs over 10+ weeks in top 10 on Melon. I do not know how PTD will do, but it could possibly be their 5th song to ever surpass 10 weeks. BTS & TWICE only have 1 song over 15+ weeks while BP has 3 songs over that feat (2 released during the 24Hits reform). It makes sense why BP will have a "better" average than the other two because they rarely comeback and tend to have very long hiatuses, so the public will almost always guarantee them of a hit, similar to 2NE1 & BIGBANG.

I honestly do not know why BTS are always downplayed by girl group stans or soloists for their digitals when they do have similar stats to some of the biggest digital monsters (idols & soloists). However, one of their biggest strengths that most people don't have, except for IU, is their insane longevity outside of the top 10 for their top hits like Spring Day, BWL, DNA, and Dynamite. These are the same songs that appeared on Gallup's top 10 songs for either 2 consecutive years (BWL/DNA) or appeared out of the blue again 2 years after its release (SD, 2019). As well as being stable across all digital platforms and not just on Melon, which is proof that the fandom isn't hard carrying those songs, and have amazing unique listeners (Genie & Melon).

EDIT: I forgot to mention, BTS hasn't done any proper domestic promotions for their releases since early 2020 with ON. So the fact that their songs are doing so well in the top 10 despite of no proper promotions just shows their digital strength. We know how important domestic promotions are for a song to do well, which is why so many girl group stans or soloist stans wish their acts do good promotions and why everyone here on the thread tend to say, "wait until the group/act does promotions (varieties/music shows/big YouTube channels) to see if it will rise or stay stable". :pepe-tea:

Any number about its download sales in Japan?

460k-470k downloads on Oricon. To compare, the last big foreign hit (Shape of You in 2017, 150+ weeks on Hot 100 JP) managed to do 250k downloads.

Songs That Have Spent 52+ Weeks in Top 10 on Japan Hot 100:

1. Lemon - 82 weeks

2. Racing Into The Night - 66 weeks *
    3. Pretender - 65 weeks

4. Marigold - 60 weeks

5. White Sun, Gurenge - 55 weeks

6. Dynamite - 52 weeks *

Longest charting 2020 songs in the top 10 of Japan’s HOT 100:

1. Dynamite - 52 weeks *
    2. Dry Flower - 39 weeks *
    3. Make You Happy - 26 weeks
    4. Homura - 24 weeks

5. Naked Heart - 23 weeks

Songs By Foreign Acts With The Most Weeks in Top 10 on Japan Hot 100:

1. Dynamite - 52 weeks *
    2. Shape Of You - 15 weeks

3. TT, Butter* - 13 weeks

You know this is a bit of a mess if LYW has 10 songs charting on the new system when he barely had 1 on the 24Hits. He even has more entires than both BTS and IU. Based on the new system, we can see that yeah, both LYW and BTS have big fandoms but unlike LYW, BTS’ entries didn’t jump too high on the charts and are around the same as before (with similar rankings on other digital platforms), which is support that they do have the GP backing up. LYW, on the other hand, have songs with barely 40K ULs charting in top 50 when HYTL is OUT with 90K ULs :pepenomad:

I dunno. With the way everyone talks about a song like Spring Day, i expected a lot more from it. If a song cant get to #1 even on the Daily Chart (let alone Weekly Chart), how can it be considered one of the greatest of alltime? You normally dont hand out awards to 2nd or 3rd place, except in the Olympics i guess lol.

If a song is fiercely loved by a giant fandom with huge follower numbers on Melon, i could see it staying on the charts for a long time, while not being truly popular with the broader audience.

Your lack of knowledge of what can be considered a massive hit song and a song’s digital performance is really low from what I have seen the past year or so. EDEM by Paul Kim is easily one of the biggest hits of the last decade, the biggest from 2018, but it never peaked at #1. It peaked at like #3-#5 iirc. Would you still say that the song can’t be considered one of the greatest hits of all time? How about 2002 by Anne Marie, Love Yourself by Justin Bieber, shampoo OST by JBJ, and many other big hits that never peaked at #1?

Also, I would still say D4 is BP’s biggest hit in Korea. It’s initial performance was too high for it to be overruled by LSG or HYLT. D4 even managed to get certified for 100M by Gaon in just 4-5 months while it took HYLT and LSG double the time. When you have 4 new girl group songs (Nonstop, Dolphin, LSG, HYLT, and maybe even Rollin in the future) breaking the prior #1 girl group song’s record for longevity (CU 60+ weeks), then that clearly shows that the 24Hits chart is helping with their longevity.

By looking at a song’s overall performance, BWL > Cheer Up > Love Scenario > D4 > Growl.

Also, CU is definitely not the Gee of the 3rd generation. CU had 4 years worth of digitals to gain and it only charted at #16 on the decade chart while Gee had 1 year and topped the decade chart. Sure, CU was big but not nearly as big as Gee.

SD is always looked down upon among Kpop fans for not being the biggest 3rd gen idol hit but it even managed to chart at #4 on the decade chart and is still doing very well across most charts. When you have Jaesuk & Seho(?) admitting that SD is one of their most loved songs, and even a favorite overall, then it really shows how big the song is with the public. Also, I think as of now, the biggest third gen hits are SD > Dynamite >> BWL. Based on its performance, I wouldn’t be surprised if Dynamite manage to enter top 5/10 on the next decade chart lol.