Posts by NewtoKpop100

People not being happy that Nepotism carried the day in a survival show should be no surprise. Lets be clear, if Bahiyyih's last name were not Huening, she would not be in this group.

It is clear the premise of the show was a failure and that the South Korean audience was not as open to the concept as I-fans were. MNET better take this lesson and not try to replicate this shitshow.

There clearly was a disconnect between the way the show was marketed, particularly to non-Korean audiences, and what is apparently going to result.

I get why MNET, a Korean company that makes by far most of its money in South Korea, would want a group they think will succeed in their home market, and thus gave Korean voters an outsized weight in terms of their votes. The thing is, clearly the concept of a possibly mostly international group, something which in theory would have been possibly, given that 2/3 of the contestants would not be from South Korea, was more exciting to I-fans than locals, and that has created a huge disconnect.

That K-girls were overall most popular and the group was going to be majority K-group with some representation from the other groups was to be expected - after all, I-fans are still Kpop fans looking for the skills and temperament used in Kpop, and worried about group success in South Korea. The problem is that the K-voters decided to make it a nationalism crusade.

1-pick is all about whom you love the most, which I think is a bad way to create a team. Xiaoting and Hikaru were high because everyone can see what they add, and if you had to pick people not your Top 1 in the other two groups, then the vast majority of votes they were getting were people saying "you are the one from this group I think best/can vote for/tolerate", which is different from "you are the one I love".

Having had 9-picks from the start, with maybe that being 3-3-3 at the beginning and then after the first elimination being open to all would probably have made for a different top 9 in the last few episodes, but far less bad drama this last week.

Just wanted to share some compilations of social media videos and other bits for some of those trainees still around on GP 999, mostly from girls probably going home soon, to give a better sense of their personalities. So we have Xiaoting, Ruiqi, Yaning, and Hikaru. Xiaoting likes to post dance clips (makes sense for a dancer), while the other three are a bit more over the place.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And folks should feel free to link to other videos of the trainees.

what's a "good" number then for comparison purposes..doesn't matter if it's drama or variety show or whatever

That is a very hard question to answer honestly. Whether something is on cable in South Korea or on one of the big channels matters. For example, the big 3 channels are KBS, MBC, and SBS. For them, anything in the low single digits is bad. MNET is a cable channel, so they can stand to have lower numbers than that, so for them single digits, like, say a 3, would be good, specially for this kind of show.

One extra problem I have with this whole debacle is that at the end of the day, this is also a TV show. And I would argue that Non K-group girls have provided a disproportionate amount of the interesting television moments and storylines from this show. This is even though most non-k girls, particularly the J team, where given as little TV time as possible. The few J girls given significant attention had significant storylines and moments, and MNET milked the C-team girls given attention for a disproportionate amount of the comedy moments, and they were the go to antagonists/troublemakers.

A TV show in which many of the biggest characters end up with a bad ending is not actually good television.

It's no different than lots of places with conflict in their history, next people will be asking on here why Serbs don't like Croats and vice-versa, well conflicts take time to settle down. It doesn't matter if they had no part in it technically they are still connected to their nation to Koreans and therefore shoulder the burden of the blood of their ancestors.

Which is why you likely don't see many Croatian shows bringing in Serb participants and making streaming deals for one of their shows with a Serbian company.