"Why do people have dangerous animals as pets?"

• Well... this is what I heard a boy in the library say, while reading a book.

It is a children's non-fiction book, which is about when animals attack people. (actually it is a series of books)

I have also read a bit from it.

When I first saw the books, I was thinking all of the stories were going to be like: "Steve went outside for a walk and then this polar bear attacked him" (That is a made up example)

But there were a lot that was more like "Steve thought keeping a polar bear as a pet was a good idea, but it wasn't." (Another made up example)

In one of the books there is also that one, I think most people have heard of, about the chimpanzee who attacked it's owner's friend and ripped her face off.

At first I was thinking the reason behind why some people have wild animals as a pet is because they think it makes them "cool". But I don't think the owner of the chimpanzee did it because they thought it was "cool".

I think another reason behind having wild animals as pets is that some think they would be able to take care of one.

It is silly to keep some wild animals as a pet, not because they can be dangerous, but also because other reasons.

Like tigers are dangerous, but they are also an endangered species.

Animals like these belong in the wild and not your living room.

But the book did not only have "wild" animals attacking.

There was also this about a woman, who was killed by her two pitbulls.

Well... there are some dangerous dog breeds, and some breeds (including pitbulls) are illegal to have as pets in some countries.

I do like cats, but I know that domestic cats can be dangerous sometimes.

I have once heard that a cat killed an owner by scratching his throat (the pulse part) while he was asleep. (but I'm not even sure how true that story is)

Well... cats bite and scratch, and you can get infections from them.

Even though I don't think there is any cat breed that is illegal.

Well... thoughts?

• Dogs can be dangerous; they can easily maul and kill someone. There are whole breeds that were originally bred for protecting property or hunting people etc. Tons for chasing and killing other animals for human consumption.

The military and police still use them, and dogs are still used in recreational hunting.

It legit depends on how they are trained and socialized.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Because having something exotic, that no one else has, is tempting. The very reason why their were ZEBRAS "Lion Kingin' It" in my local metro area for like FOUR MONTHS!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• because it's unique and different...

everyone and their grandmas have cats, dogs etc etc so therefore having an exotic or dangerous animal is a sign of being different and unique I guess compared to the norm

• My dad adores a couple channels from Russia with one owning a Puma and one owning a Black Leopard and all I can do is cringe :sweatr: I want to own a few exotics but those are Cavys and Geckos not BIG FREAKING CATS . Thank goodness the exotic laws here are strict and the craziest I've ever seen are Wolfdogs but I have a LOT of things to say about the exotics community

Also man the snake slander when I'm intending to own some :waterr: They're really not that bad, I've not been bit by a single one and I've handled a lot of wilds

they do however musk all over me which is arguably worse...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!