Any Chinese Drama/Entertainment fan here??

• What are the easiest apps people outside China can use to follow Chinese actors?

I like the actors/actresses listed below and i wish to follow their activities on something like Instagram (but they don't have insta accounts). I know there is something called Weibo but is it easy to use and i don't understand Chinese. So pls suggest English friendly apps to follow Chinese celebrities. Thank You!!!

The actors/actresses i wish to follow are:

Dilraba Dilmurat

Sandara Ma

Liu Tao

Yang Yang (not the NCT member)

Wang Kai

• I have no idea what apps are available my friend but I like C-dramas but you already knew that right?

and I also don't have weibo either lol

• There was a whole "The Untamed" fandom here but they kind of disappeared and the talk about the drama with them.

I think it was taesv6  yoshiworldhmm  itsymoo  rosseanne and a few others.

I checked out the drama and I kind of liked it at first, it was kind of interesting. But at the same time, I also fell out of it.

i did not understand a thing in that drama and i watched like the first 10 episodes. I decided historical Chinese dramas are not for me.

• I have no idea what apps are available my friend but I like C-dramas but you already knew that right?

and I also don't have weibo either lol

What dramas are your favorite?

I am a longtime kdrama fan (like 10 years) and i just recently started dabbling into cdramas coz i feel like i have watched almost every kdrama worth watching.

I have mostly stuck to modern Chinese dramas some of my faves are Ode to Joy 1 & 2, Nothing but thirty, You are my glory, To dear myself

• Dilraba Dilmurat

I believe she was in【三生三世】its a c-drama

but usually they would usually be found on weibo. Often, you'd need a chinese phone number to access so I'd say its a hard process. If you don't know anyone in china, its going to be really hard to do so. Great Firewall of china and all that jazz.

You could try to use your phone number ( i haven't actually tried the process myself by the way so I wouldn't tack "chinese phone number only" down as a hard and fast rule)

There are services online that might help you on that front but I dunno really.

• What dramas are your favorite?

I am a longtime kdrama fan (like 10 years) and i just recently started dabbling into cdramas coz i feel like i have watched almost every kdrama worth watching.

I have mostly stuck to modern Chinese dramas some of my faves are Ode to Joy 1 & 2, Nothing but thirty, You are my glory, To dear myself

ode to joy is great they are remaking it with a new cast...

I would dab my toes in xian xia if you're interested - Journey of the Flower, Eternal Love (with Dilraba) and the sequel Pillow Book (with more Dilraba)

Nirvana in Fire is a must - I would say probably one of the best C-dramas, plot, acting, character development, everything lol (there is a sequel but watch the first one first) - it has both Wang Kai and Liu Tao

There's feelgood family C-dramas such as All is Well with brilliant brilliant acting and storylines

for me I really enjoy historical C-dramas - you can't make that shit up since it's literally in Chinese history but the plots and turns make GOT seem like an infant

• I am too attached to the casts from Season 1 & 2 of Ode to Joy. If i end up watching the upcoming season i will just keep comparing to 1&2 especially if there is no character as strong as Andy.

After watching a few episodes of the extremely hyped drama The untamed and i didn't understand a single thing i stayed away from historical dramas. i am quite surprised that even among international fans historical dramas are more popular than modern Chinese dramas.

I will try again with Nirvana in the fire since I have heard so many good things about it.

This might seem like a silly question but why are most dramas so long? I am so used to the standard 16 episodes from kdramas but most cdramas go on for 50 episodes. There are a few 32 and 24 episode dramas

• It is so hard to follow Chinese celebrities. Why don't many celebrities have insta accounts? i noticed the ones that have Instagram are those that were in kpop before (and their accounts are still active) so it seems there is no insta ban in China?

Thankfully this does not extend to the content like that of Japan as you can find many Chinese dramas with English subtitles on Youtube

• Why don't many celebrities have insta accounts?

well being honest ya can't access insta from within china. its firewalled.

i noticed the ones that have Instagram are those that were in kpop before (and their accounts are still active) so it seems there is no insta ban in China?

well china can't really tell instagram, an american company with no business in china to shut down an account. I bet though, if there was the need, they can send an employee to go and collect ad revenue from outside china and such as well as post updates if need be.

basically anything major and western is shut down in china.

• untamed would be classified as wu xia drama as oppose to historical...when I meant historical I meant like Chinese history - dynasties and the rise and fall of kings and generals and warefare and politics and intrigue and things like that

I guess the thing with xian xia and wu xia is one has to understand some basic chinese concepts like Confucianism and the world that it's set in I guess...like the rules and morals of the world and such lol

PLOT - think of Chinese dramas as being three or four seasons of a show and the other would be $$$ - the dramas and the actor/actresses get paid per episode not per entire show...

sometimes the plot is long and drawn out with fillers lol

• Actually there isn't any particular app that you can use. I generally browse the artist's page on Mydramalist to find about their works and then google the title of the show.

Dilraba's new drama with Allen Ren just premiered on 17th March. It is titled The Blue Whisper and is currently airing on Youku (a chinese video website). It may be available on youtube with subs.

Also Yang Yang's variety show Youth Periplous 3 aired around 2 months ago and is available on youtube with subs.

I don't follow any of the other celebs on this list.

Also you can follow this channel on youtube for updates about chinese entertainment industry as whole.

Marcus here!
    Happy to be able to create vids about my favorite dramas, movies and celebrities, and share them with you all! Subscribe and share if you enjoy the vids, I…
    www.youtube.com

He gives a general summary of every drama that is premiering with its cast and where to find it with subs. It is pretty helpful.

• Thanks.

I already use Mydramalist and i will checkout that Youtube channel

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!