Any Chinese person here can answer my question? :)

• So I know Cantonese and Mandarin are tonal languages and it makes me wonder how that work in songs?

I have heard that many Mandarin songs drop the tone and prioritize the melody in contrast to the majority of Thai songs (since it’s also a tonal language) which mostly persevere the tone. My question is:

if the tone is not persevered, can you understand the meanings of the song?

btw I am not talking about classical or traditional songs but rather songs like wayv’s for example.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

lt64IYu.gif

• Yumeku

Changed the title of the thread from “Any Chinese here to answer my question? :)” to “Any Chinese person here can answer my question? :)”.
  • Yes, weirdly enough even if the tone is not preserved I can understand.

But my chinese vocabulary isn't that good compared to mainland chinese (I'm Singaporean Chinese) so sometimes I don't know what words they are saying. Even with Chinese subtitles if those words are words I haven't seen before I wouldn't know it. Especially if the songs are fast paced.

Ballads I can understand them better like if it's slow. Then again most Chinese songs are slow love songs not like WayV's

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!