Should kpop idols retire after a certain age?

• From the idol’s specific image - yes

From music - no

The idol industry has certain practices and image and musical genre and sound that’s catered towards a young audience still. As idols mature I think it’s ok for them to move away from that image of perfection, the GF/BF image etc.

What age? Idk I think it would depend on the idol themselves and when they start feeling that the things they’re doing feels juvenile for them. For some that might be 25 for some 30 or more etc.

But important thing is : it’s ok to grow out of the idol image. And I wish there was a market for boy group or girl group music catered towards an older audience and not just soloists.

• I do hope as time goes by that we'll see some groups be allowed to change and mature into a different stage of their careers if they so choose. There's a lot of talent in kpop and I think they're perfectly capable of diversifying their concepts and audience.

• nope...

laissez faire to me

the idols will know themselves if and when they want to retire or comeback or whatever...

men or women it shouldn't really matter and should be a matter of personal preference...

• Not at all. I think after a certain point they should shift away from a majority of the idol traits, but I think as long as the group wants to keep making music together then they should keep going.

• I think so especially if they've lost popularity or have done all they can in their chosen field. There is more to life than K pop after all and they need to think of their personal life/happiness as well and maybe settle down one day. They don't want to be in their forties still having fangirls screaming over them. That's just my view anyway.

• What criteria would you use to determine who should retire? Is there a certain age range you have in mind?

my criteria doesn't matter

only criteria that matters is whether the idol wants to and is able to continue as an idol

madonna is a literal grandma and is still active

• I doubt they have a choice. Capitalism shortens the shelf lives of their artists and products to make way for more so you continue to buy into the industry. One idol could still make amazing music all their life but how many such cases have you heard from the pop industry let alone kpop?

The fans age out and the company will push a new face because that's what the pop/kpop industry sells, they want you coming back and buying more. This fantasy of anyone being an idol living the glamorous life of an idol also plays a part ig. Idols have got to be taught how to deal with emotions cuz I can't imagine how much damage it causes to be "replaced."

They get into the industry so young and train to be one thing. An idol. Once their stint is done they are expected to bow out gracefully when being an idol is a major part of their identity.

It's just straight up abusive. No privacy, no control over your image and a ticking time bomb of becoming irrelevant..the idea of fame being sold as something people should want itself is sketchy to me...

Desbundar

• For idol's group, yes because they might change their preference for music in the future and it kind of hard to maintaining a group to be specific idol group which always get views as the lowest level of the singer in SK.

Individually, they should think about it thoroughly, if they still have a passion for music then they should continue as a solo singer.

• No, but I definitely agree with Tic's point about changing the image to suit their age. I throw side-eye every time SM tries to peddle 28-year-old men like your college bf or whatever in school ties. None of these people are my boyfriend and they don't need to pretend to be.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• No, but I definitely agree with Tic's point about changing the image to suit their age. I throw side-eye every time SM tries to peddle 28-year-old men like your college bf or whatever in school ties. None of these people are my boyfriend and they don't need to pretend to be.

Lol, that's true. I would love to see more mature and dignified concepts anyway. Cutesy stuff makes me cringe mostly.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!