Okay this will be a little sensitive but why is there a controversy for the smallest thing in KPop?

• For example:

An Idol starts dating OMFG THEY'RE HITLER THE NEXT GENERATION

or

the lyrics aren't pure and wholesome THEY'RE A SINNER AND NEED TO BE STONED

They make American tabloids look less ridiculous. I get it South Korea is conservative but the "scandals" i've seen in Kpop are some of the ridiculous things I've read online.

Can you imagine how South Korea would react to Britney Spears during her 2006-2007 days? they'd have a heart attack

• I've heard it's because Koreans are supposed to be "upstanding" or something, but it's hilarious to me that they love people like Robert Downey Jr who would never have gotten a second chance in a movie like Iron Man if he were Korean.

• I've heard it's because Koreans are supposed to be "upstanding" or something, but it's hilarious to me that they love people like Robert Downey Jr who would never have gotten a second chance in a movie like Iron Man if he were Korean.

I thought TMZ was the most ridiculous tabloid garbage until I became a Kpop fan

• I feel like it might have to do with how the industry markets the idols and itself as more perfect and catering to the consumers so the consumers fall into a sense of feeling that they should have a large say into what their favourites are up to whilst in the Western market, it is more of a "I put out this product, take it or leave it" feel.

• I feel like it might have to do with how the industry markets the idols and itself as more perfect and catering to the consumers.

so then why not create robots? cause Idols are human beings and we're not perfect

• so then why not create robots? cause Idols are human beings and we're not perfect

Probably because at the moment, we would feel that is too foreign of a concept to be idolising something other than a human. Tbh, idols are already somewhat like robots except they have personal liberties. They are manufactured in their respective companies to cater towards a certain image or mold and trained to have the skill sets that will aid them in their job. It's just that they're still allowed to express themselves out of their jobs but even then for most, there's a certain limit of self-expression so as not to cause any unwanted response from the consumer base. As one person has already stated above, in SK, there's an attitude where you must please the majority which happens to be our consumer base. From personal observation, the loudest of the crowd usually are the ones who have nothing better to do so they end up projecting their ideals to them which leads to overblown and stupid issues.

• Probably because at the moment, we would feel that is too foreign of a concept to be idolising something other than a human. Tbh, idols are already somewhat like robots except they have personal liberties. They are manufactured in their respective companies to cater towards a certain image or mold and trained to have the skill sets that will aid them in their job. It's just that they're still allowed to express themselves out of their jobs but even then for most, there's a certain limit of self-expression so as not to cause any unwanted response from the consumer base. As one person has already stated above, in SK, there's an attitude where you must please the majority which happens to be our consumer base. From personal observation, the loudest of the crowd usually are the ones who have nothing better to do so they end up projecting their ideals to them. At least, that's my take.

I know I shouldnt say this but SK has fucked up priorities. Always calling I-Fans roaches but they're worse than we are. least we call out their double standards

• I hate the kpop system. Idols have to stick with a perfect image that anytime they do something wrong it will follow them through their career. Some deserve backlash but it’s getting weird when they are getting clowned when they messed up on stage or didn’t bow to someone.

• I hate the kpop system. Idols have to stick with a perfect image that anytime they do something wrong it will follow them through their career. Some deserve backlash but it’s getting weird when they are getting clowned when they messed up on stage or didn’t bow to someone.

It’s the same for k actors/actresses though not just idols.

• Judging by akp and especially twitter, a lot of western fans react in exactly the same fashion though.

Social media seems to have amplified moral outrage to the point where even minor things now lead to a modern day equivalent of a public stoning.

• Judging by akp and especially twitter, a lot of western fans react in exactly the same fashion though.

Social media seems to have amplified moral outrage to the point where even minor things now lead to a modern day equivalent of a public stoning.

Yeah ifans are odd they act superior to the average kfan on say pann or naver when if anything they do the exact same thing though with the added posture of being "progressive" and 10x the virtue signaling which takes something.

• I feel like it might have to do with how the industry markets the idols and itself as more perfect and catering to the consumers so the consumers fall into a sense of feeling that they should have a large say into what their favourites are up to whilst in the Western market, it is more of a "I put out this product, take it or leave it" feel.

That's true, there's more investment bc you assume you can change things with enough noise. However, K-Pop consumers need to realize the burden to put out responsible content that reflects changing cultural norms is on the producers not them. If they don't like what is being put out, don't support the art.

I wonder what plays into that culture around K-pop. It might be a mix of the infantilization of K-artists, the marketed struggle of it all, the higher amount of parasocial relationships, the hyperfocus on company brands, etc.

• as international fans, we love drama. So if something is a controversy in kOREA only, we will jump onboard.

Kpop drama is super tame compared Cpop or Jpop drama.

Regarding why its a controversy in Korea, i think Knets or puplic will literary boycott things if tv companies dont remove idols from shows or commercials. Knets compared to other industries have more power to impact an idol.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!