Korea has the most homogeneous music scene among the biggest music markets

• You are either a kpop idol, a rapper from SMTM(who basically exists in the second half of the year) or a ballad singer who sing on OSTs

Other markets are more diverse with sucessful artists of many different genres. For some reason those genres never managed to become popular in Korea

In other hand, seems like Korea is slowly becoming more diverse with foreign pop getting bigger and bigger and trot singers starting to become sucessful rather than just niche. I don't like most of international hits and don't care at all for trot, but it's nice to see some diversity in the charts. I hope it makes koreans more accepting to other genres

• I would expect more crossover artists and groups to be more mainstream by now with how big Rap is. South Korea have some promising bands around too without a proper platform.

• that depends what you consider some groups...

for me Day6 or N.Flying bringing much needed diversity to the table

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by channiieK ().

• that depends what you consider some groups...

for me Day6 or N.Flying bringing much needed diversity to the table

Day6 should've had all their albums available in English, at least digitally. Their songs hit different/much better in English. I low key would listen to and like them. It's like having an extra palette of colors for Day6. I'm like, "Why didn't they use this palette on ALL of their paintings??" Day6 out here writing breezy English lyrics while JYPE struggles to write acceptable ones for Itzy? What the..??!

There are other bands that only sing in Korean and it feels right, but it doesn't work for all of them.

• Lol it seems you haven’t heard of the chinese music industry. Every single song in China is watered down ballads with simple V IV I piano backing and bland predictable lyrics about love or unrequited love or falling in love. And the people LOVE it.

Gotta cater to the masses though right ?

• Gotta cater to the masses though right ?

Nope, Rock is pretty popular in China. Right behind OST ballads and OST ballads (in China not Hong Kong or Taiwan) rock hard too!

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Why do I watch survival shows? This!

• I wouldn't really know I don't follow the music scene that much in China (although I am chinese) besides certain OSTs and some of the bigger singers...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!