J-Media vs K-Media’s treatment of BTS

• I saw an interesting tweet regarding this

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It is not only about media. It is about people as well. People in Korea (kind of) do take BTS for granted. People in Japan understand the fact that what BTS are doing is unprecedented.

Japan is BTS' #1 market. They are more popular in Japan than in Korea. That is why media also treats them well. Their next stop in Japan will be something to look forward to.

• I do think Koreans do take BTS for granted. I feel that sometimes k-media are just waiting for BTS to fuck up so that they can sensationalised it

it’s sad how the guys straight out admitted to this and other Korean personalities have mentioned this too

It’s like now the kmedia expects BTS to pull out 1st place from their arse and anything lesser than that is crap, like downplaying their Grammy nomination

rrrrrrapmonster did say that Koreans themselves(gp) do appreciate BTS. It’s the media that are dumbarses

• kmedia are always trying to downplay their achievements

first they downplayed the nomination category saying its not a major one.

then they sensationalized that the boys "failed" to get a Grammy

really, they are very tasteless

but i do wonder if they will treat other artists like they treat BTS and i think we know the answer to that

• Can anyone who lives in Korea speak to this? I feel we have a somewhat necessarily limited view into this as we are not Korean and go by what is reported on.

not surprised. some of the k-media are paid by those who must not be named. even the big achievements bts made as a nugu were not reported circa 2015.

:pepe-popcorn:

I wonder how prevalent things like this actually are. I remember people trying to push the narrative that BTS must be paying off Dispatch to hide their scandals.

• K-media is weird. Korean government is obviously enjoying the soft power bts and kpop bring. But k-media be acting like your classmate jealous mother who been itching you to mess up so can shoo her kids into your place. But who does korea have right now that can stand in BTS place?

What crab mentality. If we ever forget, kmedia never fail to remind us how bts climb out of that and got to where they are today. Imagine the shit they continue to throw bts way if they didn’t succeed the way they did. Oh wait~ we don’t have to imagine. :pepe-clown-gear:

• i think the parts of the kmedia which put up such articles are definitely paid for by the other companies

Even naver search engine which koreans use seems to allow companies to push articles up or down on being paid

I've seen countless times knetz say "oh this agency is working so hard to remove the articles from trends" or something like that

• the type of questions bts are asked by kmedia sometimes during their press conferences are baffling

The way that reporter (who was said to have connections to yge) asked them a plagiarism question or

When they asked an enlistment question at mots 7 press conference

Some parts of kmedia are clearly looking for sensational news to create controversy all the time

• Big korean journalists have already openly admitted that kmedia continuously and actively tries to downplay bts' achievements, so it's not even a conspiracy/secret.

Honestly, i dont know if saying koreans take bts for granted is completely right? Maybe partly, but i also think that they often just don't know 70% of the huge things bts has accomplished? Which brings us pretty much back to (not every, but a lot) kmedia being petty towards bts.

Really glad the boys have Jmedia hyping their every move. Maybe if kmedia gets jalous enough of Japans treatment of bts...

• BRIYANI

Selected a post as the best answer.
  • K-media is weird. Korean government is obviously enjoying the soft power bts and kpop bring. But k-media be acting like your classmate jealous mother who been itching you to mess up so can shoo her kids into your place. But who does korea have right now that can stand in BTS place?

What crab mentality. If we ever forget, kmedia never fail to remind us how bts climb out of that and got to where they are today. Imagine the shit they continue to throw bts way if they didn’t succeed the way they did. Oh wait~ we don’t have to imagine. :pepe-clown-gear:

It’s bcos they were never responsible for BTS popularity, unlike for other idols which is why they are constantly trying to downplay them. Even with UN, their media was busy making up stories questioning if BTS wrote their own speech, while other countries were praising BTS. They are just pathetic tbh

• It is not only about media. It is about people as well. People in Korea (kind of) do take BTS for granted. People in Japan understand the fact that what BTS are doing is unprecedented.

Japan is BTS' #1 market. They are more popular in Japan than in Korea. That is why media also treats them well. Their next stop in Japan will be something to look forward to.

For real sometimes i feel Japan gives more love to BTS than Korea. Also korean media still seems highly biased towards the big 3.

• I do think Koreans do take BTS for granted. I feel that sometimes k-media are just waiting for BTS to fuck up so that they can sensationalised it

Well, this is not true from my perspective. And yes they do write some scandalous more than appreciation yet it is not limited only to BTS. The general interest in Entertainment is less than before compared to Japan results in enter talk shows/news shut down in main TV channels which is hard for GP to follow up more general news than before, especially regarding Idols. Not many appreciations or music-related articles, not only for BTS, are found nowadays. Media more likely push those "click-baits" titles more than others which is sad I can tell, yet that does not tell people to take BTS for granted imo. BTS still constantly are in the Breaking News section for the main news channels (not articles) for their every achievement and step.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!