Hold on what? China bans PC gaming now? lol

• what the hell, u-18 teens/kids will now have just 1 hour to play games during fri-sun time? whatttt

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• China has always been a semi-authorian state, but I feel after Xi Jinping came into power, they become worse and worse for each day. I hope there is a power struggle within the party and he gets removed.

• I think it is all related to their plummeting birthrate.

They took a look at South Korea and Japan and their idol and game culture and seemingly apocalyptic demographics trend and they see China going in the same direction.

They are clobbering massive industries with billions in revenue and massive amount of jobs in China like entertainment and gaming (and cram schools and tutoring, outside the AKP's normal discourse.) It looks like they want to change the direction of their society and not end up like Korea who has a suicidal birthrate right now.

Why do I watch survival shows? This!

• I think it is all related to their plummeting birthrate.

They took a look at South Korea and Japan and their idol and game culture and seemingly apocalyptic demographics trend and they see China going in the same direction.

They are clobbering massive industries with billions in revenue and massive amount of jobs in China like entertainment and gaming (and cram schools and tutoring, outside the AKP's normal discourse.) It looks like they want to change the direction of their society and not end up like Korea who has a suicidal birthrate right now.

I think it is a weird conclusion to get. I'd consider people at top think this is a moral failing to let their youth rot under bad influence or similar excuse as they are more focused on stability and control at all cost. As far I see it is just framed as fighting against addictions. I believe they had similar measures before, but it didn't garner attention at news at the time and had no relation to birthrates.

Not sure if this is a secret reason to limit gaming. SK had similar limitations (maybe not as harsh, but coincidentally they are ending their curfew restrictions)when they had people dropping dead for playing too much happening. Demographics weren't used for such restrictions.

Assuming that's their true intention, this would be pretty weird way to combat it. Their recent child policy change is quite timid attempt. I don't doubt that could be used as a reason, but they aren't framing it this way.

• I think it is a weird conclusion to get. I'd consider people at top think this is a moral failing to let their youth rot under bad influence or similar excuse as they are more focused on stability and control at all cost. As far I see it is just framed as fighting against addictions. I believe they had similar measures before, but it didn't garner attention at news at the time and had no relation to birthrates.

Not sure if this is a secret reason to limit gaming. SK had similar limitations (maybe not as harsh, but coincidentally they are ending their curfew restrictions)when they had people dropping dead for playing too much happening. Demographics weren't used for such restrictions.

Assuming that's their true intention, this would be pretty weird way to combat it. Their recent child policy change is quite timid attempt. I don't doubt that could be used as a reason, but they aren't framing it this way.

It is not weird or "secret." They've been attacking a whole slew of industries to increase the birthrate. It's common theme. They are willing to destroy entire industries with millions of jobs to do it.

China tries to spark baby boom by destroying its $140 billion tutoring sector - ABC News

China tries to spark baby boom by destroying its $140 billion tutoring sector

By business reporter David Chau, Joyce Cheng and Jason Fang

• The problem I see is equating this issue with tutoring issue. It could be just separated issues instead of a wide plan to fight dubiously their baby bust. Unless I see a similar article for gaming restrictions as a measure for presenting baby bust, I don't see it much as like using gaming as scapegoat for morality/mental health reasons as I stated before.

Well you could say tutoring is being used as scapegoat as their reasoning behind it seems pretty flawed. Still not surprising as they reluctantly revised their child policy at least one decade too late and now they may go for bandage solutions like this.

It seems more like the tutoring part is more about addressing social inequality and therefore it causes a baby bust or it seems to be the logic in the article. They are just cracking down on "disorderly expansion of capital". It does have some logic behind it as youth may not be able to have enough safety net to have a family due to inequality, but cracking down on these small things seem more like bandage to cover a deep wound. Again, not a surprise as it is just propaganda to say they are addressing the issue.

Going back to gaming, it is still weird to me to frame this as "solution" for the baby bust. I do get the framing of moral/health issue that may affect birthrate and therefore we need to fight this to improve it (kinda like their fight against obesity as well).

Reiterating what I said, it is still weird, but I didn't say it is surprising as CCP is prone to some baffling roundabout ways to solve issues (like their water problem).

• I think all of these are related at least in the mind of the CCP.

Tutoring, gaming, entertainment, housing prices, etc. all contribute to the fall in birthrate which because it is pretty much fatal to a society is being seen as a major challenge. The morality piece was always there but they had always looked the other way when they were producing a lot of jobs and income. That is how the massive KPOP bars and cafes and the millions of dollars in Chuang and YWY voting came about.

This time they are not looking the other way and are doing things in tutoring, entertainment and gaming that destroy jobs and income. Why would they do that?

They wouldn't unless they see the declining population issue as an existential threat. They see what is happening in Japan and Korea and is attempting arrest that decline now. The CCP might be wrong in their tactics but it is pretty clear that stopping the decline in birthrate is the main reason.

This is an issue for all of East Asia and it is not even a future problem, it is already impacting society now::

Chinese Factories Are Having Labor Pains—‘We Can Hardly Find Any Workers’
    Labor shortages are materializing across China as young people shun factory jobs and more migrant workers stay home, offering a possible preview of larger…
    www.wsj.com

Chinese Factories Are Having Labor Pains—‘We Can Hardly Find Any Workers’

Fear of Covid-19 and youths’ changing priorities leave factory owners in a pinch, as demographic challenges mount

• the pro CCP chinese people in this topic trying to normalize censorship and authoritarianism dictatorships  ?(?(?(

i know plenty of people in the west who play video games and have kids. This has NOTHING to do with the "improvement" of their society. Parents even play video games with their kids as a bonding experience. How evil of the CCP to take that away.

Banning gays, religion, video games, killing celeb entertainment, omg people are really going to revolt soon. Who knows, they may ban condoms and birth control soon!

this is why Thomas Jefferson allowed the right to bear arms. No one wants to live in a military dictatorship like China and North Korea where the average citizen is defenceless against a corrupt military government.

Just remember the evil that happened when they killed all the landlords and did a mass wipe out of culture. If China was broken into several different countries instead of being one huge monopoly of territories (including some that don't belong to them) the world would be in a better place.

• I think it is a weird conclusion to get. I'd consider people at top think this is a moral failing to let their youth rot under bad influence or similar excuse as they are more focused on stability and control at all cost. As far I see it is just framed as fighting against addictions. I believe they had similar measures before, but it didn't garner attention at news at the time and had no relation to birthrates.

They want a "masculine" army so they can conquer countries like Taiwan, Korea, Japan, etc. in the not so far off future. Obviously they'll need a lot of fodder to throw into the battlefield who didn't grow up soft from gaming and "feminine hobbies", etc

• There are a lot of dictatorships and communist basketcases around the world like North Korea and Vietnam (to be perfectly honest) that have no problem with idols, tutoring or games because they are simply too poor for those things to even matter.

The fact that China has these industries and their issues is because its people has gotten rich and being wealthy means they've done well enough with whomever they have in power. Hoping China will split apart is idiocy because people are doing well and people growing wealthy won't be doing revolutions. If China were pure communist, it would be as poor and fucked up as North Korea and Vietnam.

The Chinese don't want to end up both communist and piss-poor like North Koreans or Vietnamese.

So unlikely you have to worry about them no matter what happens to their gaming and idols -- since those industries are bigger in dollar terms than most of the rest of Asia. And unlikely Korea, they don't need to export their pop culture to survive.

• There are a lot of dictatorships and communist basketcases around the world like North Korea and Vietnam (to be perfectly honest) that have no problem with idols, tutoring or games because they are simply too poor for those things to even matter.

While it is true that both North Korea and Vietnam are dictatorships, putting them together seems strange, since NK is a pariah state for most of the world and basically only has good relations with China and Russia, while Vietnam even has normal relations with the USA now despite the war.

And NK certainly has problems with idols, Kim Jong-un recently called K-pop a vicious cancer https://www.nytimes.com/2021/0…ia/kim-jong-un-k-pop.html, and for games it's quite unlikely that the normal citizens would even have access to them, since even something simple like jeans are not allowed to be weared.

• North Korea is must worst than Communist Vietnam in terms of freedom and economy. Pop Idols are completely banned in North Korea. The only Idols that you can worship in North Korea are the Kim dynasty.

North Korea doesn't even has access to the outside world (their internet allows them only to connect to North Korean websites) except for the high ranking members of the party and the few people who have to upload party propaganda to the outside world n the internet and the hackers that work for the government.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!