Do we I-fans sometimes over exaggerate korean racism?

• I'm not making a excuse to the mistreatment and abuse of foreign Kpop idols has received through out the years. But is it unfair to say koreans and knetizens are all racist? I get a feeling a lot of koreans love japanese culture despite their historical time. Koreans don't like China, but I feel it's more towards the regime and not so much the culture. Chinese restaurants in Korea are frequently visited and they love chinese food.

• Uni909

Changed the title of the thread from “Do we I-fans sometimes over exaggerate koreans racism?” to “Do we I-fans sometimes over exaggerate korean racism?”.
  • But is it unfair to say koreans and knetizens are all racist?

It's wrong to say this. Never generalize an entire country.

I think people should be allowed to call out racism and things that make them uncomfortable. But generalizing all Koreans is also racist.

• If you are talking about Korean vs Japan and vs China, it cannot be racism.

They are all asians, therefore same race.

I understand that there are a lot of people that don't understand the difference between racism and xenophobia. But this is not racism.

Xenophobia stems from history and an intertwined path from all of the 3 countries.

Occupations, wars, slavery, you name it.

But it has gotten better and majority of the younger generation don't think that.

Just some fringe characters that love to be vocal on the internet forums.

• It's wrong to say this. Never generalize an entire country.

I think people should be allowed to call out racism and things that make them uncomfortable. But generalizing all Koreans is also racist.

You won't believe the amount of hate comments towards Koreans I have seen, plastic, calling them all racists, fair skin simps etc. I even found people calling Koreans these things in a video were Koreans were talking about how they don't support judging people based of the color of their skin.

• While I agree ifans go so extreme about Koreans' racism to the point that they become racist themselves, I will say that enjoying someone's culture/food =/= respecting the people of it. Racist Americans love Mexican food but who are most racist to them?

• Koreans just have different standards when it comes to what's appropriate. Wokeness hasnt come to Korea. Things that Koreans do that woke people here think are racist just arent racist in Korea.

Also, unlike places like the US, the worst you'll get are some snide remarks and stares if you're black or brown or white or mixed. You wont be gunned down or choked to death by racist Korean police for being a minority. Of course, school bullying based on race is a BIG problem, that is the one area Koreans need to really work on. But that's true of most places.

• its not an exaggeration to say the majority of koreans hold racist ideologies tho. its literally a homogenous country. by definition they think similarly on a lot of topics, even with progressives vs conservatives and the newer generations vs the old. i would say at least 20% of the sk population hasnt even interacted with non asian foreigners irl.

honestly its kind of crazy to me that calling someone "racist" has become more offensive than the act of racism, ignorance, or prejudice that is being called out.

who's your favorite artist?

• there will always be racists everywhere in the world...

people should be judged solely on what they themselves have said and done and not by the actions of their peers/friends/fellow countrypersons/fandoms

• China and Japan are actually not good examples, since historically speaking Korea was under chinese influence and tributary state for centuries until the First Sino-Japanese War when power shifted from China to Japan. Because of this even if Koreans fell animosity for one or both of these countries they will also feel a perhaps subconscious or grudgingly respect and a certain cultural affinity too.

Because of this koreans parents will be much more accepting of a son or daughter marrying a japanese despite the political and historical issues, than if the person is from Southeast Asia or other regions wich are not respected.

• not saying koreans are racist but from what I see they don't like foreigners. Watch any video about someone being black traveling to Korea and their experience and you'll understand. Of course not every korean person is racist, but I do think a lot of them have racist ideology. It is also good to remember that these news websites for kpop usually translate the bad comments only so I-fans think all knetz think the same. Allkpop does this all the time, and then you check the comments of the article and see I-fans trashing Knetz calling them racist and stupid, when there was probably thousands of other normal comments but websites pick and choose which comments to translate so consumers get rowdy and mad at korean people.

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

Edited 2 times, last by ellenote ().

• People formed their opinion of all knetz racist based on kpop blog translations and completely ignoring that they actively cherry pick controversial comments that will generate more clicks and buzz.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• If you are talking about Korean vs Japan and vs China, it cannot be racism.

They are all asians, therefore same race.

Wrong, racism definition: "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group" Do you understand what ethnic group means?

Even disregarding that, "modern science regards race as a social construct, an identity which is assigned based on rules made by society. While partially based on physical similarities within groups, race does not have an inherent physical or biological meaning." which goes against your race categorization, of the so called "yellow race" by racists of the 19th century

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!