How do you comfort a friend who didnt get through a interview he prepared a lot for

• So one of my close friend had this important interview today and he got rejected at the very last round.. we were constantly talking since 2 days and he updated me after every round but now isnt replying after telling he couldn't make it through a message.. isnt picking up his parents phones either..

Its been almost more than an hour since he isnt replying and idk what to do.. should we all just leave him alone for now?

I am clueless cause I am sitting in another city right now and can't even go and meet him... we usually talk even if he gets upset other than avoiding.. :pepe-sad:

• Encourage them to look at the process as a learning opportunity and see what they can improve on. Sure, they didn't get this job, but there will always be more jobs and more interviews. Have them think about what they could have done better or differently in this experience to help them in the next situation.

I left my heart in LA again. Please continue taking good care of it.

• Encourage them to look at the process as a learning opportunity and see what they can improve on. Sure, they didn't get this job, but there will always be more jobs and more interviews. Have them think about what they could have done better or differently in this experience to help them in the next situation.

yeah that seems like a good point to say..

but for now should I just leave him alone.. or keep calling? idk ... no one is unable to reach him so I guess he needs some alone time? rare for him though

• Give him some time!! I'm sure he'll reply soon... maybe he's just dealing with being let down and needs some time alone

The best you can do when he does reply is to acknowledge his sadness... saying "it happens to everyone" helps but it also generalizes his feelings which might not help him get over it

Also try to compliment some of his skills and achievements... a little confidence boost never hurts :lover3:

• yeah that seems like a good point to say..

but for now should I just leave him alone.. or keep calling? idk ... no one is unable to reach him so I guess he needs some alone time? rare for him though

All you can do is extend the hand (send the message) and see if he responds. It's his part to respond if he feels up to it. In this day in age it's very hard to not know or see a message come in. So he'll at least know you're thinking about him and that you're there if he needs it.

He may just need some time to think things over. All you can do at that point is be available.

• Give him some time!! I'm sure he'll reply soon... maybe he's just dealing with being let down and needs some time alone

The best you can do when he does reply is to acknowledge his sadness... saying "it happens to everyone" helps but it also generalizes his feelings which might not help him get over it

Also try to compliment some of his skills and achievements... a little confidence boost never hurts :lover3:

He is literally way better than me.. I feel pretty sad about it too lol

and yeah I get what you are saying... just dismissing his feelings isnt right either.. I guess I will try to leave a message asking him to contact me whenever he can :peperain:

• All you can do is extend the hand (send the message) and see if he responds. It's his part to respond if he feels up to it. In this day in age it's very hard to not know or see a message come in. So he'll at least know you're thinking about him and that you're there if he needs it.

He may just need some time to think things over. All you can do at that point is be available.

Yeah I think you are right.. I will leave a message and wait for now... its late-night so maybe I can be awake for a few more hours just in case he needs..

• Giving him some time is great.

He still needs to get through that moment when we realize that some things that happen in our lives don't really depend on us and are not able to be controlled. And it's completely normal to fail.

As it was said before, it's better to take this as a learning process and not overthink about his performance on the interview.

Some other (sometimes better) opportunities might come later.

• I AM DUMMI!!! :pepe-sad: Honestly I find that in these situations giving people some space (if they seem like they require it, and it looks like your friend does) helps a lot. You need to let your friend be sad and let it out, I think that way he could actually start looking for an interview with a clean slate later on after he recovers from this let down.

yeah true, it was the very first time he made it to the very last round so i guess the sadness that comes with it maybe be more too..

• Yeah I think you are right.. I will leave a message and wait for now... its late-night so maybe I can be awake for a few more hours just in case he needs..

Sometimes that's all you can do.

The whole situation reminds me of a quote my dad would always say: "If you shoot for the Moon but don't make it there, at least you're further than you were before"

• Giving him some time is great.

He still needs to get through that moment when we realize that some things that happen in our lives don't really depend on us and are not able to be controlled. And it's completely normal to fail.

As it was said before, it's better to take this as a learning process and not overthink about his performance on the interview.

Some other (sometimes better) opportunities might come later.

yeah I am writing a message right now and will wait after that.. thank you.. :pepe-sad:

• Empathize; it def. feels like a situation to be disappointed and down about. Give him a "Second" and let him reach out to you when he's ready.

At the bigger picture, it could be the universe lining him up for a better position somewhere else. Please let him know this.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!