Genuine question, what is Gaon Digital Chart and how does it differ from Melon/Genie/Bugs/Icyruios chart?

• Question stated in the title.

Like is Gaon a combination of all the charts? I keep seeing people mentioning xxxx reach a certain rank or within top xx on Melon but isn't Gaon like ... I don't know the biggest chart? I don't know how this shit works.

People look at what's that thing Gaon digital points to measure whatever nonsense you guys want to measure. Then why not just look at Gaon why do y'all look at the the fruit chart, the insect chart and the Aladdin chart?

:whatr::whatr::whatr:

Anyways I think the icyruios chart is the most reliable one

• Can we bribe icyruious chart? :eyebrowsr:

• Gaon is basically Billboard as it amalgamates all the chart data into one official source and Melon/Genie etc are the Spotify's, Apple Music, Youtube's, Itunes etc. Different tools for music consumption.

Gaon is purely streaming and download data whilst Billboard includes things such as radio.

• Gaon is basically Billboard as it amalgamates all the chart data into one official source and Melon/Genie etc are the Spotify's, Apple Music, Youtube's, Itunes etc. Different tools for music consumption.

Gaon is purely streaming and download data whilst Billboard includes things such as radio.

So isn't this objectively the chart that fans should be flexing instead of the fruit with declining market share?

• So isn't this objectively the chart that fans should be flexing instead of the fruit with declining market share?

That's what I'm thinking as well. Like people uses the fruit chart if their faves are good, or flex the insect chart if they do well there and totally ignore the fruit chart if they flop there.

Shouldn't we just all look at Gaon like how we look at Sistar's 9 Consecutive Gaon No.1 Digital hits?

Yes this is low key me trying to flex my faves

:pepe-hehe::pepe-hehe::peperun::peperun::peperun:

• So isn't this objectively the chart that fans should be flexing instead of the fruit with declining market share?

In theory yes - but the thing is that even though Melon is losing market share it's still the biggest in downloads, with Genie just behind. So the Gaon charts are mainly dictated by activity on Melon/Genie still. New systems such as Flo and Vibe don't allow downloads, they're purely stream based. Which is why the Melon change had a big impact on Gaon positions as well.

With Gaon you have a streaming chart which is filtered and probably the purest chart in my opinion.

But the main Gaon chart is the digital chart which shows you points and is made up of streams and downloads, with the points essentially showing how much a song has made so high downloads can skew the chart and numbers a lot. Only Melon/Genie bring considerable downloads anymore.

i.e. Gaon's year end show has monthly awards for the best performing song in terms of digital points from a month. Kang Daniel will win in April for a song that didn't even chart for the full period as his fans went crazy with downloads. Lim Young Woong's point in March would have won most months in the year so far through that same download loophole/manipulation but was up against IU.

E64gUfCWEA0Pv9H?format=png&name=900x900

Gaon have said recently they also want to change their chart so we'll see. SK still hasn't fully adapted to the streaming era and to be honest like how you can manipulate the US billboard charts with downloads it's no different here. In both circumstances I can imagine they're resistant to change as allowing downloads o still have this much say brings them the most money.

Gaon actually have a youtube channel where they've started explaining different aspects.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Interesting.

But if the downside to Gaon is the arguably disproportionate weighting for downloads, doesn't the same hold true for the fruit? Since that is one of the two sources for the download figures? As we saw during the Next Level vs. Butter drama, downloads still account for some undefined percentage of the charting "score", even for 24Hits.

I don't see the downside for Gaon over the fruit since the former is using more data points and will forever be unaffected by marketshare fluctiations (just the size of the market

• i.e. Gaon's year end show has monthly awards for the best performing song in terms of digital points from a month. Kang Daniel will win in April for a song that didn't even chart for the full period as his fans went crazy with downloads. Lim Young Woong's point in March would have won most months in the year so far through that same download loophole/manipulation but was up against IU.

E64gUfCWEA0Pv9H?format=png&name=900x900

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I guess the thing for the Gaon End year show is that they only count the month the song was released and the points for the following 5 weeks. so even if Lim YoungWoong and IU had more points in April. It doesnt count since they were released in March.

So you can get an award because you were lucky to relase in a month with no other strong comebacks.

I have to admit im very happy about it this time. because Brave Girls will get an award for June so we will make all wishes of my faves come true. :pepe-excited:

• Interesting.

But if the downside to Gaon is the arguably disproportionate weighting for downloads, doesn't the same hold true for the fruit? Since that is one of the two sources for the download figures? As we saw during the Next Level vs. Butter drama, downloads still account for some undefined percentage of the charting "score", even for 24Hits.

I don't see the downside for Gaon over the fruit since the former is using more data points and will forever be unaffected by marketshare fluctiations (just the size of the market

It's impact on the 24HIts chart/Daily chart is limited due to unique listeners coming into play. LYW or Kang Daniel have never topped Melon daily/weekly whereas they can top the Gaon weekly digital chart for this reason.

Before the initial 24hits change, the "main chart" was the real time chart and a mess a lot of the time, no filtering, which is why they had to change it but what it did was allow new releases to rise to the top quickly, so new releases were getting exposure on release. Being number one on Melon at 7pm when people are leaving work and probably the 3rd/4th busiest hour of the day was better promo than 95% of TV shows and would therefore gain the song UL's, which will subsequently be reflected in the daily chart (hence the higher first 24 hour UL's before the change as well and more groups getting on Melon). If the public liked the song, the streams would stick keeping it high on the real time and the UL's would stick aiding it on the daily chart.

The key to debuting high on the old real time chart was just having very high downloads/streams in that hour as that's all it reflected, the last hours data. This made the chart pretty useless for inference as it was manipulated easily so the daily/weekly chart is what was quoted before for any important statistics. It was a bigger deal to get no.1 on the daily than it was the real-time chart which most boy groups could do through fans alone and no-one would really care for it as a stat on its own.

As the 24Hits chart came in it was basically the daily chart with filtering which was/is still a good reflection of listening habits so they sort of merged in peoples thoughts. Before the change last year you'd always talk about daily and the real time chart separately, post the change you don't really talk about anything but the 24Hits. The 24Hits chart was harder to manipulate than Gaon digitals like the Melon daily chart was.

Now that they've changed again maybe the "main chart" will lose some relevance again if it jumps around too much putting more emphasis on Gaon.

• I guess the thing for the Gaon End year show is that they only count the month the song was released and the points for the following 5 weeks. so even if Lim YoungWoong and IU had more points in April. It doesnt count since they were released in March.

So you can get an award because you were lucky to relase in a month with no other strong comebacks.

I have to admit im very happy about it this time. because Brave Girls will get an award for June so we will make all wishes of my faves come true. :pepe-excited:

Yeah it's a monthly award but that also means it's more susceptible to one week of massive manipulation (i.e. Kang Daniel) as over a year the popularity of a song will even itself out mostly.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!